EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Aug 2021, 11:46 AM   #1
atikovi

How would you move messages and folders from one email account to another?

Excite.com is ending email accounts at the end of the month. How would I move or transfer a dozen folders or hundreds of messages to one of my other email accounts?
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Aug 2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Use a local email client with IMAP support.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2021, 01:26 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Thunderbird works well for this. Add both old and new email to TBird, then copy the messages over from one set of folders to another. One neat thing about this is you can reorganize your emails while you do it.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2021, 02:09 AM   #4
atikovi

No idea what this all means, "Use a local email client" You mean find someone in my town? And what is IMAP?
Old 11 Aug 2021, 04:13 AM   #5
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
No idea what this all means, "Use a local email client" You mean find someone in my town? And what is IMAP?
A local client means an email program that lives on your device (PC, tablet or phone) rather than on the Internet. Thunderbird, as mentioned above is a good, free one and you can download it here:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

IMAP is one of the best ways to link to your Excite mail. You can read about it here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ynchronization

This page gives the details you need to connect to your Excite emails to Thunderbird:

https://bit.ly/3xCptTO
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2021, 10:34 AM   #6
atikovi

OK thanks, I downloaded the Thunderbird thing and will give it a try.
Old 11 Aug 2021, 06:00 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
Seriously, you've been a member of this forum for 12 years, and you don't know "what this all means", you clearly have no interest in the subject, and would be better off getting someone else local to help you out, otherwise you may lose all those hundreds of messages.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2021, 05:58 AM   #8
emoore
Essential Contributor

As of August 7 Excite didn't support TLS version 1.2, they were still on TLS version 1. This caused problems trying to add an account in Thunderbird using the new account wizard because it wanted to verify you could login and it couldn't make a secure connection to the mail server.

If you want to create an Excite IMAP account you need to change security.tls.version.min to 1 in the config editor. If you modify that setting, exit Thunderbird and restart Thunderbird it will try to connect using TLS 1.2 and if that fails it will fallback to trying to use TLS v1.

There is a config editor button at the bottom of tools -> options -> general (I'm assuming you are using Windows). Its very similar to Firefox's about:config except its launched differently.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2021, 11:54 PM   #9
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
This is what I do or would do. Occasionally I get emails to the wrong account, I simply move them in to the right account.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote