EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jul 2017, 12:35 AM   #1
fhapgood
Master of the @

New interface & email

Imagine that you have entered several emails for a contact. The classic interface allowed you to pick a "default" email to be the one that would be retrieved whenever you typed the contact's name into the To: field. How do you pick and change a "default" address with the new interface? Where is this covered in the support section? I reviewed the sections that I thought were relevant but couldn't find anything.

Fred
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2017, 12:49 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

EDIT: Please ignore the below. It is nonsense based on misreading Fred's question ===>
I do not recall that feature in classic. What I have used is the (still existing) ability to specify other than the default identity (previously personality) when starting to compose an email within a specific folder. How did the feature of tying email addresses to contacts work in classic?
<=== Ignore the above

Last edited by BritTim : 30 Jul 2017 at 03:32 AM.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 12:57 AM   #3
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I do not recall that feature in classic. What I have used is the (still existing) ability to specify other than the default identity (previously personality) when starting to compose an email within a specific folder. How did the feature of tying email addresses to contacts work in classic?
You could pick it explicitly. Is it really the case that when a contact has moved on to a new email address that you have to change the contents of the To: (or BCC field manually? Every time. Forever. That right? Wow. That's inconvenient. I must misunderstand.

When you use the term "specify" you mean enter, right? You write the text in?

I see what you are saying. There is no default address. The feature is gone. Now when I enter a name into the To: field I get to pick from all the entered email addresses. Huh. Not optimal. If the contact's name is in a group you don't get to pick. You have to go through the groups changing the addresses contact by contact. You didn't have to do that with the classic interface. You just picked the default once and were done.

Fred

Last edited by fhapgood : 30 Jul 2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 30 Jul 2017, 03:31 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Very sorry, Fred, I misunderstood your original question. My original reply was nonsense, and please ignore it.

I think FastMail chooses whichever is the first email address in the Address Book entry. (At least, that seemed to be happening in my testing.) Thus, I think you need to edit the Address Book entry so the desired email address is the first one specified.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 05:49 AM   #5
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I think FastMail chooses whichever is the first email address in the Address Book entry. (At least, that seemed to be happening in my testing.) Thus, I think you need to edit the Address Book entry so the desired email address is the first one specified.
Um, I dunno about you folks, but my address book edit screen has a selector immediately beneath the Email section, for choosing which address is to be used as the default for this contact. I just checked that it was working correctly (i.e. that if an addr other than the first listed one was selected as default, that that one would be the first to come up in Compose), and it is.

Perhaps this is not explicitly documented in the help, because it is too obvious?
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 05:59 AM   #6
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

BritTim, appropos of your "nonsense" response, I have often thought that I would love to be able to tie personalities to address book entries (rather than only to folders), but I've never put in a request for this because I had the feeling that it would never happen.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2017, 06:09 AM   #7
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Um, I dunno about you folks, but my address book edit screen has a selector immediately beneath the Email section, for choosing which address is to be used as the default for this contact. I just checked that it was working correctly (i.e. that if an addr other than the first listed one was selected as default, that that one would be the first to come up in Compose), and it is.

Perhaps this is not explicitly documented in the help, because it is too obvious?
Thanks. In the classic interface I didn't need to go to an edit screen, so I never looked for one here. But that is the right answer.