EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Apr 2023, 11:01 AM   #1
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Verify - No Code

I have some domain addresses which are flagged as "To send as someone@mydomain.com you must first verify that you own this address." After going through the send verification code process with one such address, no code arrived. I haven't tried with any others. Thought I would ask here first.
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Apr 2023, 04:14 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

In my (admittedly limited) experience with such an arrangement, the 'confirmation code" was actually an email to someone@mydomain.com, with a clickable confirmation link.
Are you sure such a message didn't end up in spam?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2023, 05:04 PM   #3
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
In my (admittedly limited) experience with such an arrangement, the 'confirmation code" was actually an email to someone@mydomain.com, with a clickable confirmation link.
Are you sure such a message didn't end up in spam?
mydomain.com is managed by FastMail. I am 100% certain that nothing addressed to someone@mydomain.com has arrived. I will try again and if nothing shows up I will open a support ticket.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 08:24 AM   #4
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

There are two places where email addresses can be added/managed. My email addresses is for managing your primary address and any aliases, Team & Sharing is where you define everything else - e.g. other users on a personal domain. This was not obvious to me. The wording on the My email addresses page reads:

Add a new address that delivers to you, or manage your current addresses. Learn more.
To add or edit email addresses for other users in your account, go to Settings → Team & Sharing → Team addresses.

In the first statement there is no mention of ALIASES which in my opinion is a critical omission since "manage your current addresses" can be interpreted (and was, by me) as covering all of my defined addresses not just me and any aliases for myself.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 06:52 PM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieboykie View Post
I have some domain addresses which are flagged as "To send as someone@mydomain.com you must first verify that you own this address." After going through the send verification code process with one such address, no code arrived. I haven't tried with any others. Thought I would ask here first.
Here's a piece of info possibly related to that problem...

If you have any disabled aliases (excuse me, "team addresses") those will appear in the "My email addresses" list with the status "blocked". Clicking edit for such a alias will show the message you quoted above. Clicking the "verify" button will initiate the verification sequence by sending a message to the alias. But you'll never see it because the alias is disabled. Brilliant!

Thus to verify these you need to...
  1. Go into the Team Addresses
  2. Enable the alias you are trying to verify
  3. Go back to "My email addresses", now a Verify button will be shown for that alias's status so click it to verify (no code is sent for this)
  4. Go back to the alias in the Team Addresses
  5. Disable the alias again to get back to the what you originally wanted
Now "My email addresses" will no longer show it with blocked status but instead "disabled". Why couldn't it have just done this to begin with since FM knows the aliases you previously created? It obviously knew it after you enabled it.

Isn't this new UI great?

Heh, I wonder where all those verification codes went for all the times I was trying it before figuring this mess out?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:17 PM   #6
hbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Thus to verify these you need to...
  1. Go into the Team Addresses
  2. Enable the alias you are trying to verify
  3. Go back to "My email addresses", now a Verify button will be shown for that alias's status so click it to verify (no code is sent for this)
  4. Go back to the alias in the Team Addresses
  5. Disable the alias again to get back to the what you originally wanted
That worked, thank you so much!

BTW Until I saw this thread I didn't even know there were blocked "vintage" addresses waiting to be verified after such a long time of possession.
hbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2023, 02:04 PM   #7
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbs View Post
BTW Until I saw this thread I didn't even know there were blocked "vintage" addresses waiting to be verified after such a long time of possession.
Turns out it was never how "old" these aliases were. I discovered it will happen with newly created disabled aliases as well!

I've since wrote a ticket on this behavior and got a reply it was sent to the developers so the ticket is still open. Stay tuned...
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote