EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Sep 2019, 08:13 AM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

FM won't let me buy anything

After I did the most recent iOS update, I have not been able to submit any orders to any business except Amazon. I place the order and never receive a purchace notification email. I don't receive the order, either (except from Amazon). I have been trying to retrace my orders for the last month and replacing the orders by phone instead of my computer. However, this is becoming a difficult issue for me as I am a shut-in.

The Mac people have no answer for me. They told me to ask FastMail. So here I am (again).
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Sep 2019, 11:52 AM   #2
noclue

I've been on the phone with Amazon trying to figure out why I am not getting their emails. They told me this:
"FastMail has blocked you from receiving messages at this address:xxxxxxxx@fastmail.us."
Old 6 Sep 2019, 06:26 PM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Have you checked your spam folder? My suspicion is that the messages are being treated as spam.

If you cannot find the messages in your spam folder, I think it is an appropriate moment to contact FastMail support, giving them the same information you were provided by Amazon.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2019, 06:33 PM   #4
noclue

Nice to hear from you, Brit Tim. I did get a ticket number from FastMail. It's really a problem because that particular address is my commercial account, and I've received nothing in almost three weeks. Time is money! Hopefully, the big guns can figure it out.

Thanks for writing!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 06:18 PM   #5
noclue

I was looking at my rules, and there is a universal symbol for "no" (the circle with a line through it) on the left of the email address that is not working. I don't understand why.

Now apparently I cananot even SEND any commerial email, either. Tried to use Grubhub tonight, and the food never came. Tried to contact a vendor on Etsy. The message wasn't received.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 06:41 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Here are some things to check by logging into your Fastmail account in a web browser:
  • Are you using your main account email address or an alias? If it's an alias, be sure to look at the Settings > Users & Aliases screen and insure that the proper aliases are enabled.
  • Of course you should also check your Settings > Billing & Plan page to be sure your account doesn't need to be renewed.
  • At the bottom left of the Mail screen, you will see how much of your account email storage quota is being used.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 02:05 AM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
I was looking at my rules, and there is a universal symbol for "no" (the circle with a line through it) on the left of the email address that is not working. I don't understand why.
Are you sure that that was on a rules screen? It sounds more like something that would be on a 'Users & Aliases' screen. Or maybe, if you have one of FM's "Family" plans, you've disabled one complete user?

Does that 'circle with a bar through it' icon show up in the normal browser login to Fastmail, or (just?) when you use an FM app? I've never seen that icon (using a browser) but there are places if I disable something where I would see the word "Disabled". I'm wondering if on an app that word is maybe displayed as a much smaller icon instead.

Also, a few weeks ago, in discussion: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74552 you asked about spam filtering and someone gave you very detailed instructions on how to change things. DID you change things? Did you keep notes on what you changed? Is it possible that whatever it is you now find isn't working dates back to those changes?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 05:22 AM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

FWIW, that "circle with a line through it" icon is displayed next to discard rules in the Rules section.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 06:06 AM   #9
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
FWIW, that "circle with a line through it" icon is displayed next to discard rules in the Rules section.
Ah. I've never set up a discard rule - I've always thought them potentially dangerous as - of course - they delete mails. If one accidentally mis-codes the condition they will then delete the wrong things.

It's always safer to move mails you think might be garbage to some other folder, and review those folders' contents before deleting them for good.

In the normal browser webmail interface, though, all the discard rules are listed at the top of the rules page, under a heading which says "Permanently delete the message:" - surely that's easy to understand?

Is it more ... ambiguous ... in the app(s)?
Old 8 Sep 2019, 06:11 AM   #10
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I didn't say anything about the pros or cons of using discard rules. Only one place that icon appears in the webmail interface if you define a discard rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
It's always safer to move mails you think might be garbage to some other folder, and review those folders' contents before deleting them for good.
So on that subject, does that mean you never specify a spam discard threshold (Spam Protection's Permanently delete) and look at everything whose spam score is greater than the spam threshold possibly filtering it into it's own special folder?

Last edited by xyzzy : 8 Sep 2019 at 06:41 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 07:20 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
...In the normal browser webmail interface, though, all the discard rules are listed at the top of the rules page, under a heading which says "Permanently delete the message:" - surely that's easy to understand?

Is it more ... ambiguous ... in the app(s)?
That portion of the user interface is nearly identical in the iOS (iPhone or iPad) interface (both normal and beta) compared to the normal PC web interface. The only difference is the New Rule and Edit web interface buttons are replaced by icons on mobile devices.

Quote:
I can't see any way for the rejection icon (circle with slash) to be immediately adjacent to an email address. It's instead to the left of the rule itself, not any email address. So I think the poster was just describing a discard rule containing the address they could not receive. Obviously if the message is permanently deleted by a rule it can't be read!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 07:33 AM   #12
noclue

I wish I knew how to do a screen shot. And I also wish I knew how to post it.

Yes, Jeremy. I made the changes I was asked to make. And yes, the rejection symbol was on the Rules page. I cannot make the symbol go away. This current problem is recent; the spam problem was fixed at the time y’all helped me handle it. I have changed no settings since that time.

Command Central (or whoever is handling my ticket) wants specific URL addresses all of which I cannot provide. That would mean I can remember everything that was sent or not received in my commercial account for the last three weeks. There are no records in my “sent” folder to jog my memory.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

How many rules do you have....sounds like you have blocked yourself, but hard to say without looking in the rules section.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2019, 10:37 PM   #14
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
So on that subject, does that mean you never specify a spam discard threshold (Spam Protection's Permanently delete) and look at everything whose spam score is greater than the spam threshold possibly filtering it into it's own special folder?
Correct.

However by no means all my email arrives at FM in the first place. The vast majority of those coming to FM are from mail-lists (one alias per list or in some cases per list-server), and there's little spam. If an address is compromised on a list, I unsubscribe, change the alias, and resubscribe.

At my other provider there's many more aliases (though they don't quite work the same way)... but again adresses that attract spam get changed. So, of the few spams that arrive, I look at them ... mainly to decide if the time has come to change that address, or warn the friend or company that's supposed to be sending those mails that they may have been compromised.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 11:07 PM   #15
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I wish I knew how to do a screen shot. And I also wish I knew how to post it.
Screenshot: in Windows press PrtScr (for a picture of the whole screen) or Alt-PrtScr (for the current program). That puts a picture on your clipboard. Then paste it in to an application. Use whatever you normally view/edit pictures with and save it somewhere on your computer.

(For Macs, or smartphones... I don't know. Google will know.)

Edit it to blur-out or mask out private details. For example, people often remove faces, house names/numbers, car registration plates ... and on pictures of computer stuff, userids, some if not all of an email address, passwords ... anything that you don't want other people to read.

If you have Dropbox or any similar online/cloud storage put the edited picture there then there'll be a way to get a URL that points to the picture. You'd paste the URL into your post here so that other people could click on it to find the picture.

There are websites who will hold pictures just for a week or two so that they can be used for screenshots etc. For example: https://pasteboard.co/