EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2004, 12:18 PM   #1
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Angry [Problem Solved] HTML compose crashes Firefox!

I should have known better than to trust that it wouldn't cause a problem, but silly me .. I thought that HTML composition in non IE browsers would have been sorted.

I was composing in text (in Firefox) and toggled to HTML, only to have the browser crash (I replicated the problem) and trash 15 minutes of composition.

Why isn't this bug fixed! I last tried this many months ago! It is simply unacceptable! So much for supporting open source and being standards compliant

Can someone at Fastmail.fm explain to me why they are unable to (like Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) disable HTML composition automatically when an non IE browser (ie Firefox) etc. is used.

This doesn't seem beyond the capabilities of Yahoo et all, so why is it such an issue here .... why risk your users time and data!

Last edited by oysterquartz : 26 Sep 2004 at 11:59 PM.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2004, 05:00 PM   #2
ady
Essential Contributor

I just tried composing text and then switch to HTML in FireFox and it didn't crash. Message sent succesfully.

I use unofficial build from Moox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040903 Firefox/1.0 PR (Moox)
ady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 05:48 PM   #3
psalzer

Just used it with Firefox 1.0 PR and it didn't crash. Mostly worked, except that Firefox wouldn't work with the insert link or image dialogue boxes and I guess you'd have to do that in code view if you wanted them.

I don't see why you'd want it disabled. I thought that it was a big deal to people that FM has HTML composition for other browsers besides IE. What makes a browser crash on one machine often doesn't on another.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 07:47 PM   #4
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
I now only use Firefox and it's never crashed on me. Do you how the latest version 1.0 candidate release?
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 09:05 PM   #5
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I haven't used HTML compose much, but when I have tried it with Firefox(Linux as well as Windows), I haven't seen any serious problems that crash Firefox. oysterquartz: What version Firefox are you running? If you are running an older version, try upgrading to the latest one version. That should hopefully fix it..
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 11:09 PM   #6
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Hmm,

Very strange. I've been running a version of Firefox which is about two weeks old (on the machine I was using yesterday).

I'll upgrade, test, and post the results. It certainly crashed instantly (twice) as soon as I toggled to HTML compose (on the drop down menu) from text.

Maybe I jumped the gun ..... I'll revert after I test again.

Thanks for your feeback.

Edit:

Quick thought, is anyone using Win XP SP2 with Firefox 0.9, and attempted to see if it still works?

Last edited by oysterquartz : 26 Sep 2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 11:59 PM   #7
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Update:

I was running Firefox 0.92 on Win XP SP2 on the laptop where the crashes happened.

A complete uninstall of Firefox, and re-install of 1.0 PRC seems to have cured the problem.

Thank you all for your assistance

Mods: I tried to edit the heading of this thread to [Problem Solved] since the issue seems resolved, but it only edited the first posts title.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 01:29 AM   #8
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
Update:

Mods: I tried to edit the heading of this thread to [Problem Solved] since the issue seems resolved, but it only edited the first posts title.
[Problem Solved]
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote