EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Dec 2018, 07:26 PM   #1
NJSS
Master of the @

Very slow Mailstore Home archive

I have been using Mailstore Home intermittently for 8+ years, and in June this year migrated to version 11+. I am really happy with Mailstore, it seems to work well & is

I now have an archive of my email for the last 10 years or so and thought that it might be a good idea to re-index the archive - I'm not sure now!

The index has been running for 24 hours, and is only about 30% complete.

Any thoughts please?

Windows 10 Home (fully patched to date) with archive on a Seagate drive connected via USB 3.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Dec 2018, 12:21 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

My only thoughts are: Why did you post this in the Fastmail forum? I would think it should be posted in either the Technical Zone or Email Help Needed forum.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Careful with the seagate drive they have been know to crash with a lot of data input and you can lose everything.
Just google it.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2018, 02:41 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

In my experience, downloading whole mailboxes does tend to be slow, regardless of the mail service you are using. FastMail tends to download faster than most other services. The question is the number of individual messages and the total size being downloaded.

Terry nudges me to make another point worth bearing in mind. Sometimes, a slow download can be caused by slow writes to the harddrive if it is not in a good condition. You can verify whether that might be the case by copying a few small files to the harddrive, and assessing whether the copy seems unusually sluggish.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote