EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Mar 2007, 03:29 PM   #1
ajmaggs

Question User Page Unknown

I'm getting a weird problem, in that if I mistype a URL in my browser, such as ww.websitename.com instead of www.websitename.com, I always get a Fastmail "User Page unknown" appear, instead of a normal browser unknown error page.

I can't think of any setting that would have this effect, either in y Fastmail settings or in my browsers. It happens in whichever browser I use (Firefox or Safari), so it can't be a browser setting. Anyone got any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Adrian.
ajmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Mar 2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD

You might wanna try to restore your system to before this started and see what happens then (Sounds like your default 404 page was changed and that setting is usually in the registry (Points to an IE dll) which a restore should correct but seeing its happening in Firefox also im not 100% sure)

Good luck with this confusing issue
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2007, 11:30 PM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmaggs View Post
I'm getting a weird problem, in that if I mistype a URL in my browser, such as ww.websitename.com instead of www.websitename.com, I always get a Fastmail "User Page unknown" appear, instead of a normal browser unknown error page.
Welcome to the EMD Forums, Adrian!

You should only get that Fastmail-generated User page unknown screen when attempting to view a URL at a Fastmail-owned domain which doesn't exist. What happens if you try this address:
http://ww.microsoft.com

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2007, 12:53 AM   #4
ajmaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You should only get that Fastmail-generated User page unknown screen when attempting to view a URL at a Fastmail-owned domain which doesn't exist. What happens if you try this address:
http://ww.microsoft.com

Bill
Hi Bill,

The same - I get a Fastmail User page unknown! I've tried in both Firefox and Safari with the same results as well.

Weird, huh?

Adrian,
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:16 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmaggs View Post
The same - I get a Fastmail User page unknown! I've tried in both Firefox and Safari with the same results as well.

Weird, huh?
Very weird! After doing this, do you see the distorted Microsoft URL you entered in the URL navigation field of your browser? Or did it redirect to a different URL?

Bill
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:26 AM   #6
ajmaggs

Quote:
Very weird! After doing this, do you see the distorted Microsoft URL you entered in the URL navigation field of your browser? Or did it redirect to a different URL?
I still get the distorted URL, there is no redirection, although the Favicon changes to the Fastmail one (blue square with a white FM in it).

Adrian.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:35 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Adrian, I think that the page must be cached somewhere. Did you try clearing your Firefox cache (Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache)? Or just the page reload local cache control (CTL-R or CTL-F5 in FireFox)?

Are you going through any proxy or firewall which might be caching the Fastmail not found page?

Bill
Old 4 Mar 2007, 03:00 AM   #8
ajmaggs

Quote:
Adrian, I think that the page must be cached somewhere. Did you try clearing your Firefox cache (Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache)? Or just the page reload local cache control (CTL-R or CTL-F5 in FireFox)?

Are you going through any proxy or firewall which might be caching the Fastmail not found page?
It's not the Firefox cache, as I have that set to clear at the end of each session, and this problem occurs after reboots as well. Add to that, the problem also occurs in Safari - a completely different browser.

As for a proxy or firewall - I'm tried with my local firewall (on the Macbook Pro) both on and off, with no difference, and I'm not running any proxy or firewall on my router. As for ISP proxies, I've tried to eliminate those from the mix - I've swapped to my neighbours wifi (he is on a different ISP than me - telco DSL as opposed to cable) and the problem still remains.

I'm completely stumped
Old 4 Mar 2007, 04:08 AM   #9
Sherry

As a test have you tried with IE?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2007, 05:00 AM   #10
ajmaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
As a test have you tried with IE?

Sherry
No IE - running OS X on a Mac
Old 4 Mar 2007, 05:45 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

try:

telnet ww.microsoft.com imap

dig ww.microsoft.com
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2007, 06:54 AM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
That is bizarre. One possibility as alluded to by DrStrabismus is that your DNS is playing up. If you bring up an OS X terminal window, and type:

dig ww.microsoft.com

What do you get?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2007, 03:32 PM   #13
ajmaggs

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
That is bizarre. One possibility as alluded to by DrStrabismus is that your DNS is playing up. If you bring up an OS X terminal window, and type:

dig ww.microsoft.com

What do you get?

Rob
Rob (and all),

Thanks for the pointer, that gave me a handle on the problem. It looks like my [i]router[i] was the cause of it! There is a setting in it to add a domain name, which was set to ajmaggs.com (which I own). The domain nameservers are pointed at Fastmail for mail delivery.

What looks to have been happening was when a mistyped URL was entered, the ajmaggs.com domain was being added to the end of it (so ww.microsoft.com became ww.microsoft.com.ajmaggs.com). Because ajmaggs.com is pointed to Fastmail, it's correctly returning a user not know page!

I removed the setting from my router, and my 404 pages are back to normal!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions - this one has been puzzling me for a while!

Adrian.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 11:20 PM   #14
Bamb0
Master of the @

Wow!!!!

Im surprised it was that!

Im glad ya got things corrected though
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote