EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Sep 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
rblon
Essential Contributor

Gmail shows "via" link

I notice that when I send an email to my gmail account, that Google shows it as:

myname@mydomain.com via messagingengine.com

When I send from myusername@fastmail.fm this "via" doesn't show up.

This suggests somewhat that the sender is not who he says he is. In a sense that is obvious, as you can you use the FastMail SMTP server to send from any email address, but on the other hand, mydomain.com has its MX records pointing to FastMail, so FastMail could give a bit more "reassurance". Or perhaps FastMail should have an option to verify personalities, in order to be able to give "reassurance".

Note that I am not completely sure how the reassurance should be given, but it seems something is possible as the fastmail.fm domain doesn't have this "problem".
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Sep 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
All messages from FastMail are signed with our DKIM key (messagingengine.com). Unfortunately, GMail has decided to equate the DKIM domain with the from address (something it was never intended to do) and show a "via X" label whenever the two are different. They seem to have whitelisted internally all our public domains, but obviously this doesn't work for custom domains. We are working on automatically creating and publishing DKIM keys for custom domains which are hosted with us, so that we can sign the messages with a key corresponding to the domain and thus avoid this problem.
neilj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 09:12 PM   #3
rblon
Essential Contributor

Thanks for the clear response. Signing with the DKIM key for a FastMail hosted domain only when the email address has been verified (ie that it forwards to the FastMail user) might make sense as well.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 02:07 AM   #4
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yes, we will only sign messages from domain X when sent from the user account that owns domain X.
neilj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
rblon
Essential Contributor

If domain X is FastMail hosted and the address anotherfmuser@X forwards to another FastMail user, then this user (who doesn't own domain X) should be able to send signed email from anotherfmuser@X, right?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 02:51 AM   #6
rblon
Essential Contributor

Also, do you know how Google handles this for their Google Apps users? Do they publish DKIM keys for their customers domains and sign the messages with these keys?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblon View Post
Also, do you know how Google handles this for their Google Apps users? Do they publish DKIM keys for their customers domains and sign the messages with these keys?
They started providing that feature earlier this year, I believe:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/...?answer=174124

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2020, 01:42 AM   #8
tarun101

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
All messages from FastMail are signed with our DKIM key (messagingengine.com). Unfortunately, GMail has decided to equate the DKIM domain with the from address (something it was never intended to do) and show a "via X" label whenever the two are different. They seem to have whitelisted internally all our public domains, but obviously this doesn't work for custom domains. We are working on automatically creating and publishing DKIM keys for custom domains which are hosted with us, so that we can sign the messages with a key corresponding to the domain and thus avoid this problem.
I think custom domains hosted on fastmail are now signed with DKIM keys but sending identities for which domains are not hosted are not; however in both the cases - gmail (on web) still shows my emails with a “via X” label. What are my options?
tarun101 is offline   Reply With Quote