EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 Apr 2018, 10:30 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 8,373
Arrow Blocking by sender IP address or host name

The SPF record specifies the IP address of the sending servers, not the domain name. If the company you want to block always uses the same sending server IP address(es) and those IP addresses are not used by senders you want to receive, you can block them.
  • Go to https://mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx and enter the domain name of the From address. You will get the IP address(es) which are allowed to send for that domain by SPF.
  • Open one of the undesired emails and look at the full header using More > Show Raw Message.
    • Look at the X-Spam-source header (usually around the 8th header from the top).
    • Copy and paste the IP and Host fields somewhere so you can use them later.
    • The IP address should match one of those in the SPF records if you are correct about the company sending you the spam.
  • Now look at other similar messages which you are sent by the same survey company you want to block. Do they have the same IP and/or Host fields?
  • You can search for other messages with that IP or Host by entering any of the following in the Search mail tool (upper right corner):
    header:"X-Spam-source: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    header:"X-Spam-source: hostname"
    (note that there is a space character after X-Spam-source: and if you search all folders in a large mailbox the search may time out)
  • Once you know which IP address and/or Host you want to block, I suggest you first create a new folder to contain the messages which will be blocked. Then create a new rule as follows:
    • A header called X-Spam-source contains IP address or hostname
    • Move the message to <new folder you created>
    • Save (at the top)
  • Now all messages from that IP address or hostname (or either, depending on how you set up the rule) will be filed to the new folder. You should check the contents of this folder periodically to be sure that desired messages aren't ending up there. You can set the folder advanced preferences so that messages in that folder are auto-purged every 14 days (for example). It's always best to temporarily see the messages you are blocking rather than immediately deleting them permanently.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2018, 02:39 PM   #17
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The SPF record specifies the IP address of the sending servers, not the domain name. If the company you want to block always uses the same sending server IP address(es) and those IP addresses are not used by senders you want to receive, you can block them.
  • Go to https://mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx and enter the domain name of the From address. You will get the IP address(es) which are allowed to send for that domain by SPF.
  • Open one of the undesired emails and look at the full header using More > Show Raw Message.
    • Look at the X-Spam-source header (usually around the 8th header from the top).
    • Copy and paste the IP and Host fields somewhere so you can use them later.
    • The IP address should match one of those in the SPF records if you are correct about the company sending you the spam.
  • Now look at other similar messages which you are sent by the same survey company you want to block. Do they have the same IP and/or Host fields?
  • You can search for other messages with that IP or Host by entering any of the following in the Search mail tool (upper right corner):
    header:"X-Spam-source: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    header:"X-Spam-source: hostname"
    (note that there is a space character after X-Spam-source: and if you search all folders in a large mailbox the search may time out)
  • Once you know which IP address and/or Host you want to block, I suggest you first create a new folder to contain the messages which will be blocked. Then create a new rule as follows:
    • A header called X-Spam-source contains IP address or hostname
    • Move the message to <new folder you created>
    • Save (at the top)
  • Now all messages from that IP address or hostname (or either, depending on how you set up the rule) will be filed to the new folder. You should check the contents of this folder periodically to be sure that desired messages aren't ending up there. You can set the folder advanced preferences so that messages in that folder are auto-purged every 14 days (for example). It's always best to temporarily see the messages you are blocking rather than immediately deleting them permanently.
Bill
Can someone answer if I can post the name or not please. Then I can post a link to a page where they discuss what they do & you can see for yourselves it varies by company how they are sending stuff.
Thanks for helping but what you are suggesting means I have to endure the email & then it doesn't block them it goes to spam. Then do it again for the next company they send from. It doesn't solve anything that way. I want to block it from arriving. Putting it in a separate folder is a complete waste of time I may as well delete it from the inbox.

Last edited by ferrety : 12 Apr 2018 at 03:24 PM.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2018, 08:58 PM   #18
lane
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kars, NB, Canada
Posts: 696
  1. I am not aware of any rules that prohibit you from posting the name of the company or the link to their website that explains their operation.
  2. Bill (n5bb) is only suggesting that you have the undesired emails delivered to a folder in case you make a mistake in your setting up of the rule, or a wanted message somehow triggers the rule. You don't have to do that. You can set the rule just to discard every such message if you like, then you will never see them. I'm with Bill on this one, but you could do as you please.
  3. You seem to be very reluctant to even look inside the headers of a couple of messages, and I don't know why. I don't believe that your review company sends from different servers for every single company it sends on behalf of. For example, constantcontact is used by a large number of companies to send on their behalf. And the string "constantcontact.com" appears in them all in the first received header. Dead easy to filter on. Why should your reviewer company be different? Those of us trying to help are operating in the dark when we can't see a sample of a couple of your messages with headers. But Bill gave you a step by step that should be easy to follow.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2018, 09:18 PM   #19
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
  1. I am not aware of any rules that prohibit you from posting the name of the company or the link to their website that explains their operation.
  2. Bill (n5bb) is only suggesting that you have the undesired emails delivered to a folder in case you make a mistake in your setting up of the rule, or a wanted message somehow triggers the rule. You don't have to do that. You can set the rule just to discard every such message if you like, then you will never see them. I'm with Bill on this one, but you could do as you please.
  3. You seem to be very reluctant to even look inside the headers of a couple of messages, and I don't know why. I don't believe that your review company sends from different servers for every single company it sends on behalf of. For example, constantcontact is used by a large number of companies to send on their behalf. And the string "constantcontact.com" appears in them all in the first received header. Dead easy to filter on. Why should your reviewer company be different? Those of us trying to help are operating in the dark when we can't see a sample of a couple of your messages with headers. But Bill gave you a step by step that should be easy to follow.
Hi there
The company is Trustpilot the page in question "sender information" is here. I think you lot can make more sense of what needs doing than I do https://support.trustpilot.com/hc/en...er-Information
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2018, 11:37 PM   #20
lane
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kars, NB, Canada
Posts: 696
Very interesting. However, there is not sufficient information there to definitively filter on their emails. We could set up a rule filtering on the IP address in the spf specification, but that might not always work because they don't require their clients to send from those servers, though they might recommend it.

We are guessing in the dark without access to the headers of some sample emails. It should be easy to filter on things that actually appear in the headers, but if you are not willing to either look at them or post them, I cannot see how I can help you further.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2018, 11:45 PM   #21
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Very interesting. However, there is not sufficient information there to definitively filter on their emails. We could set up a rule filtering on the IP address in the spf specification, but that might not always work because they don't require their clients to send from those servers, though they might recommend it.

We are guessing in the dark without access to the headers of some sample emails. It should be easy to filter on things that actually appear in the headers, but if you are not willing to either look at them or post them, I cannot see how I can help you further.
I can't post what I don't have. I always deleted them. Then I moved to fastmail. Maybe someone here will have one in their inbox. It is the biggest review site in the UK so it is likely that a UK user has one (if they haven't deleted them). Plus getting one sent on behalf of one company won't help with them sending stuff for other companies
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 05:36 AM   #22
lane
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kars, NB, Canada
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
I can't post what I don't have. I always deleted them. Then I moved to fastmail.
From your posts I think you moved to Fastmail a few weeks ago, right? If you haven't received any since then it does not seem like much of a problem to worry about. Let's just wait a few days until some arrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
Plus getting one sent on behalf of one company won't help with them sending stuff for other companies
I have no idea why you think this is true. Perhaps you can re-read the earlier conversation on this.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 02:11 PM   #23
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
From your posts I think you moved to Fastmail a few weeks ago, right? If you haven't received any since then it does not seem like much of a problem to worry about. Let's just wait a few days until some arrive.
I have no idea why you think this is true. Perhaps you can re-read the earlier conversation on this.
#
To receive one you need to place an order first, & if you don't have an idea why I 'think this' read the earlier exchange

Forget it, thanks for everyones help but but my technical expertise is non existant & we're going in circles. Thanks to all for trying to help, sorry for being so clueless. But fastmail have now compromised my account giving out my email anyway.

Mods if you want to close this go ahead

Last edited by ferrety : 13 Apr 2018 at 03:54 PM.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 03:24 PM   #24
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: mostly in Thailand
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
Forget it, fastmail have now compromised my account giving out my email anyway.
This sounds bad. Could you please explain what happened.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 03:53 PM   #25
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
This sounds bad. Could you please explain what happened.
I wrote a thread, they gave my main email address out to an American survey company. My primary email that I only used for logging in. Nobody had this address except me & Fastmail. Probably people will say it isn't a big deal & I'm overreacting. To me it is, if Experian can get hacked, their survey company can get hacked.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 06:46 PM   #26
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
I wrote a thread, they gave my main email address out to an American survey company.
If the e-mail address has a common name or phrase or word @fastmail.com, it's most probably phishing that has hooked and reeled in.

If the e-mail address is something convoluted like dhkfjkfdheroirr99933040dfjdfkhg @ fastmail.com, a phishing attempt is more unlikely.

I thought I was "lucky" to get my name when the fastmail.com e-mail addresses were made available, but because of a common name I immediately started getting spam to that address, which I somewhat remedied by whitelisting my address book only to receive for that address.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2018, 09:05 PM   #27
lane
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kars, NB, Canada
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrety View Post
#
To receive one you need to place an order first, & if you don't have an idea why I 'think this' read the earlier exchange

Forget it, thanks for everyones help but but my technical expertise is non existant & we're going in circles. Thanks to all for trying to help, sorry for being so clueless. But fastmail have now compromised my account giving out my email anyway.

Mods if you want to close this go ahead
Trying to help you has been my most frustrating experience ever in emaildiscussions. Your first post seemed to indicate sophistication, asking about SPF and sieve, but now you say you are "so clueless", and can't follow any of our step by steps to solve your problem. And what I interpreted as a large amount of undesired emails turns out to be zero, because you can't lay your hands on one. Have you been putting us on? Sounds like a good time for me to unsubscribe from the thread...
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 01:47 AM   #28
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Trying to help you has been my most frustrating experience ever in emaildiscussions. Your first post seemed to indicate sophistication, asking about SPF and sieve, but now you say you are "so clueless", and can't follow any of our step by steps to solve your problem. And what I interpreted as a large amount of undesired emails turns out to be zero, because you can't lay your hands on one. Have you been putting us on? Sounds like a good time for me to unsubscribe from the thread...
I don't appreciate being called a liar.
I already stated that they were deleted I never had a reason to store spam before. Then I moved to fastmail.
Mods please close, this no point leaving it open so I can be insulted further.
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 02:02 AM   #29
ReuvenNY
 Moderator 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 4,191
Moderator's Comment

Please, everybody, take a deep breath and calm the spirits here. Civility is rule number ONE
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 02:55 AM   #30
ferrety
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Please, everybody, take a deep breath and calm the spirits here. Civility is rule number ONE
Please if you would be willing to close the thread. I've got enough to deal with with fastmail giving out my email & then leaving me hanging (presumably for the weekend). Nothing constructive is going to come out of it now If I ever get the security situation sorted out I'll revisit this trustpilot issue & try and sort it out myself. thanks
ferrety is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 10:43 PM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy