EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jun 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
paulus

Post Caveat emptor

I am member for last 10 years with FastMail. No one's fault but my own I decide to add more space so I paid $19 and changes and decided to purchase more space then there was sign said even storage will need to be paid annually otherwise will fall back to 'AD' based free-level.

I guess better start use my gmail as primary instead as storage mail, or even yahoo or hotmail. Since I have no plan to pay every year for email I'll just let it died next June and switch to one of G, H, Y email.

I guess Fastmail will be longest used ( over 10 years ) email.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:10 AM   #2
NickRem

Not sure I understand. You don't want to pay a yearly fee for your mail service? Didn't you do that before with FM?
NickRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 02:40 AM   #3
Prognathous
Master of the @

He paid one-time fees. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a business model that doesn't work very well in the long run, which is why Opera (and previously Fastmail.fm) has moved away from it.

Personally, I don't mind paying annually if I get my money's worth, but I can understand why so many people aren't willing to pay. They just don't see the value over free services. This is probably where Opera has the biggest challenge - showing the market that its mail service offers features worth paying for that aren't available in free services.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2010, 03:04 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

That's the way I see it too. One "feature" that customers seem willing to pay for is mail service for their own domains. Some see having a personal custom domain as an affectation, but many see the value. Certainly for professionals and business, free email services with free domains like Yahoo or Hotmail do not convey the desired online image. At least for businesses a custom domain is expected. Previously, the full-featured email service providers for your own domain required a fee. Now there is Google Apps (free and full-featured for your own domain).
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

just forward a copy of every e-mail to gmail.....its free, use gmail for your storage with fastmail benefits.....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
just forward a copy of every e-mail to gmail.....its free, use gmail for your storage with fastmail benefits.....
If you want to move your mail to Gmail, use a mail client instead of forwarding. Just configure both your Fastmail and your Gmail accounts and use drag&drop to move the mail between them. This way, the original To and From fields of the mail will stay intact.

Prog.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 10:04 PM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post
If you want to move your mail to Gmail, use a mail client instead of forwarding. [...] This way, the original To and From fields of the mail will stay intact.
Alternatively, use automatic forwarding in Options,Define Rules ('Message with' set to 'Always'). This trick also preserves original headers and saves a lot of dragging & dropping .
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 02:16 AM   #8
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Quote:
If you want to move your mail to Gmail, use a mail client instead of forwarding. Just configure both your Fastmail and your Gmail accounts and use drag&drop to move the mail between them. This way, the original To and From fields of the mail will stay intact.

Prog.
Prog,

How exactly would you do this? I'd like to transfer a lot of my old e-mails to Gmail for storage and make room in my "full" account. New stuff I could forward as suggested.

Thanks,
Hank
hankfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 06:36 AM   #9
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankfoner View Post
How exactly would you do this? I'd like to transfer a lot of my old e-mails to Gmail for storage and make room in my "full" account. New stuff I could forward as suggested.
You need to define both email accounts in an email client application following the instructions in Gmail and Fastmail. Once both services appear in the folder tree, just expand it so that the target folder is visible, then switch to the current email folder (Fastmail inbox) and select the emails you'd like to transfer. Drag them to the target folder (e.g. Gmail inbox) and hold the Shift key if you're using Windows and wish to move the emails rather than copy them.

Prog.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 06:48 AM   #10
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Quote:
You need to define both email accounts in an email client application following the instructions in Gmail and Fastmail.

Prog.
Thanks Prog. But this is the bit I don't understand. Sorry to be dense. Could you expand a bit more, please.
Hank
Old 23 Jun 2010, 07:06 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Prog is suggesting that you set up two IMAP accounts (in your email client software) - one for Fastmail the other for Gmail. On completion you can 'select' and 'copy' all message (in a folder) and paste them to a folder in the Gmail account.

PS: Prog says you can drag and drop them (which will work too and is likely easier easier than copying and pasting them)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Prog is suggesting that you set up two IMAP accounts (in your email client software) - one for Fastmail the other for Gmail. On completion you can 'select' and 'copy' all message (in a folder) and paste them to a folder in the Gmail account.

PS: Prog says you can drag and drop them (which will work too and is likely easier easier than copying and pasting them)
AhHa! Got it - I think. many thanks to you both.

Any advice on what email client to use. I have Eudora and Outlook Express from the old days before I went entirely to a web interface. Maybe Thunderbird would be better?
Hank
Old 23 Jun 2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Prognathous
Master of the @

The last time I went through this process I used Outlook Express. It worked fine. However, if I had to do it today I would be trying Thunderbird, as it's undoubtedly a much more up to date and modern mail client.

Prog.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 09:48 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankfoner View Post
AhHa! Got it - I think. many thanks to you both.

Any advice on what email client to use. I have Eudora and Outlook Express from the old days before I went entirely to a web interface. Maybe Thunderbird would be better?
Hank
I know that Thunderbird will work for this but would suggest that you test first, using whatever is your favourite client.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2010, 11:02 AM   #15
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Email is such an essential service, I don't know why people are unwilling to pay for it. Free services only offer free because they get something from you in return.

I wouldn't send my postal letters for free just so that the us post office could open read and store every message I ever sent, just so that they could target me and other people with advertising... Sorry, my life requires a bit more privacy than that.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote