EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Feb 2020, 09:52 PM   #1
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Using Fastmail as mailto:

Just got a new bespoke Windows 10 PC. I want to use Fastmail as my mailto: client but I can't get it set up. I know it should be easy, I did it once before. I downloaded T-bird and completed the data it asked for when I clicked on "setup existing account": name as in eml address, domain as in eml address and the same password that gets me into Fastmail. Each time T-bird tries to connect to Fastmail it says that it can't and that the name/password configuration is probably wrong.

Apparently FM became aware of my efforts and sent me and email containing a unique password to be used in trying to set up the account, but that did not cause Firefox to include FM as an option to use with mailto:

I have this working on my laptop. I set it up about about 6 years ago but I'm at a loss to figure out what's wrong.

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 6 Feb 2020 at 10:09 PM.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Feb 2020, 10:14 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

You need to set a specific password for the client.

Thru the web UI: Settings | Password & Security | App Passwords

https://fastmail.blog/2018/07/30/wha...app-passwords/

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2020, 11:06 PM   #3
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

I tried using both my FM acct password and the secure password FM sent me but the same refusal occurred in both cases.
Old 7 Feb 2020, 12:47 AM   #4
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Somehow I got FM and T-bird to integrate but I still can't get Firefox to recognize T-bird as an option for mailto and I don't know how to add it.It only lists yahoo and Gmail as options. Thanks anyway!
Old 7 Feb 2020, 01:37 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Have you followed the Thunderbird help? Try:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...lt-mail-client
Once you follow those instructions, Thunderbird should check to make sure that it is the default mailto: client each time it starts.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2020, 11:20 AM   #6
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thank you very much... that did it!!
Old 10 Feb 2020, 11:10 PM   #7
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Addresses

Seems I've run into another problem... the address book. It's complete and in place in Fastmail but completely empty in Firebird. I'm not familiar enough with Firebird to know what to do about it. Any insights, please??
Old 11 Feb 2020, 12:27 AM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Firebird?

Fastmail gives these instructions for Thunderbird:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/thunderbird.html

Scroll down to "Set up your contacts"

Note:

Quote:
Thunderbird does not natively support CardDAV synchronisation. You will need to install a third party adapter to use CardDAV, such as CardBook.
If you just want to export your contacts from Fastmail, and then import them into Thunderbird, that is not the same procedure as above.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2020, 03:32 AM   #9
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thanks... my IT guy demonstrated how to export the contacts from FF as an LDIF file to my desktop and then just have Thunderbird import them in the same format. Worked fine... no third party addon.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 04:48 PM   #10
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

I had a similar problem on a new install of Windows 10. In my case, the right click Send to mail recipient did not work with Thunderbird. I am going to guess that the root cause could be the same. There was a registry key that was not correctly updated. There is a thread in this MS forum https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-f8f906809770. Scroll down to the image posted by Alexandros N.
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote