EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 7 Jun 2006, 02:00 AM   #1
pilyoun

Help about Fake emails!

Hi, my first post here.
Sorry if my English isn't fine, I am From Portugal.

I need help to find out, How can It be possible to receive emails from my email address, but not sending by me.

I have received a very strange email only with numbers from my email address to the same email account. How can it be possible someone to do that?

I have contacted my Cable Net Operator and they can't find a answer.

I change my password every 15 Days, and my passwords have more than 15 Digits, so if my password it is secure There is any possibility to someone using some software access my email account!!
I have searched for virus and Trojans with several programs and they detected nothing.
My email account it is from a Very safe cable Net operator here in Portugal, it isn't Free Account.

Can someone post here similar stories?

All the Best from Portugal
Mike
pilyoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jun 2006, 02:40 AM   #2
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Wow! And here I thought I was the only one

I received an email myself at my xxos.us account. It came from the same account - I was going to check the headers, but by the time I realized that'd be a good idea, I had already deleted it
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 03:43 AM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

This is very easy to do, if I knew your e-mail address I could send you an e-mail from yourself. It is just spam, ignore it as there is not much you can do. If you are careful not to post your e-mail address in public places and there will be less chance of it happening. But then there's always the chance that one of your friends is not that careful with your address.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: Help about Fake emails!

Quote:
Originally posted by pilyoun
I need help to find out, How can It be possible to receive emails from my email address, but not sending by me.

I have received a very strange email only with numbers from my email address to the same email account. How can it be possible someone to do that?

You can receieve email from anyone including from yourself because anyone can put anything to fake where the mail comes from.

To trace where the mail comes from, you need to look through the headers for those IP numbers. If the number comes from the same country as yours you could actually complain to your ISP for them to take action.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Jerry
Essential Contributor

I get so much e-mail "from myself" that I've added a trap in my SIEVE script to dump anything revceived from myself into the SPAM file.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Olfrygt

pilyoun, if you have good passwords, then probably no-one is actually accessing your mail account, they are just sending mails to it, pretending it is from your address.
Good passwords are a jumble of 15 to 30 lower-case and upper-case letters, numbers, and special characters such as $&# . The longer the better, but unfortunately, some services only allow pathetically weak passwords.
Olfrygt is offline   Reply With Quote