EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
curmudgeon

Oh, I absolutely HATE it

Seems that cookies are now required (UGH!).

Grouping "conversations" across folders is just waiting for an accident (sending sensitive mail to someone I don't intend to send it to (or even want to make sure DOESN'T receive it).

Takes forever to load a page of messages now (instead of a second or two with the old interface).

It is hard now to even get the account or advanced settings page to load (I use Opera, and do not allow client refreshes).

Too graphical, hides too much of the stuff I want to see (headers).

I am certain there are many more things to hate, but I don't intend to find them. I will only use my account with mutt now - it is pretty useless beyond that.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2012, 04:30 PM   #2
shalomshalom

Angry I Hate The New Change Please Help Asap

Hello,

I got a web master to transfer all my emails for our non profit project to fastmail 3 months ago. It took days and we picked Fastmail as it had features we needed, spell check, and colors and the lay out was simple and easy.

We now have a problem and I cannot use this lay out.. I am not like the most of you who know show to work these things.

Can we have it back to normal. We have two accounts with fastmail and we have paid 5 years ahead and paid out a few hundred to the web master who did the transfer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN THIS BE CHANGED BACK AND IF SO CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW.. in simple dummie terms. Please can someone show me and others how to convert it back.

Why do these companies do these changes and what is wrong with a person wanting to stick to what they are use to.

Hate this new set up and i can see 1000's going elsewhere. If this cannot be changed back can someone let us know who else offers the old style of fastmail.

THANKS GUYS

JUST TO REFRESH YOU PAGE TAKES A VERY LONG TIME AND EATS MY DATA UP.. HELP
shalomshalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

shalomshalom, I understand your concern, and I am not one who will defend the new web client just yet, but.... first of all: try logging in via

https://classic.fastmail.fm

and I think you'll find the old interface is there (although it might look a bit different colorwise because they removed some stylesheets).

If you're looking for something simple and easy, I think the new offering will satisfy you in the long run. It may just take a little time to learn it. This is the thing some of us are against: we don't want it to be EASY, and to look and act just like Gmail... we want it to be powerful, which is what it was, and somewhat arcane I'm surprised to hear you say you think the "classic" system was simply and easy... if you think so, the new one should be easier.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
markbeus

I also don`t like it

Hello,

what do you think, to change a perfect running system with such an ********?

Nothing is like before, the stylesheets are horrable, I can not see it well at my MacBookPro 13"; the automatic push doesn't work, all needs much longer, I can not manually check externa pop3 accounts, I don`t find anything :-(

My sieve Script also don't work anymore.

Checking email needs much longer...This java script is ******.

Why you ever must change a good working system? Since you are together with this bloddy opera mail, only ******** comes out :-(

I`m really angry, thinking about to leave you. :-(

Mark Beuster
markbeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
tt587

Exclamation Thanks for the warning!!

Just what i needed this morning. Thanks fastmail (not).

A few features that REALLY should be addressed:

- Having your entire inbox displayed at once results in a tiny scroll bar on the right that requires a precision mouse click.
- This also results in the obtrusive scroll bar on the left which I find displeasing
- How can I 1-click to an advanced search of my inbox??

Am sure I will find many more as I work my way through this.
tt587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:32 PM   #6
NumberSix

I must admit it does seem like an awful lot of functionality has evaporated. For example, one mailbox screen function that I was fond of was Forward as attachments. using which you could take a bunch of emails and forward them as message attachments all together under a single "cover" message. This is the sort of power-user feature that FM was known for, and why many of us joined them. Where did this go? How about Delete attachments from a message (for archiving purposes)?? If all these power-user things are gone, even I, a stalwart fan, may think of leaving. All I can say is, I hope to g*d they leave the Classic interface around for a good long time....

I mean..... just to start with, the new one LOOKS like Gmail. I hate the way Gmail looks. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Concise, I'll take it any day over the ugly pablum of the Gmail look and feel
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Quilleron

I don't have the time to sit around learning a new interface - what an absolute an unmitigated pain and disaster for everyone.
Quilleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:22 PM   #8
too_much_study

I too am upset at the "dumbing down" of what was an excellent system that I chose specifically because of the options if gave me.

Not happy at all.
too_much_study is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:17 PM   #9
hexdump

Ughhhh

I hate it. I know it's different and I resist change but this has gone too far.
What happened to "delete and next" when reading ?

I hope I can get back to the old format.
hexdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:27 PM   #10
hankfoner
Essential Contributor

Wasted Hours

I've just wasted hours on this new interface. I cannot understand why they've reduced the capabilities of FM. Whose idea was it to put a tiny "more" on the login screen, remove the speller (though the instructions say it is there) and remove the quick contacts? I also couldn't get the conversations to turn off. They've done all this and still haven't made the Notepad remember its previous sorting order. I've switched back to the "classic" view but even that looks different. The last interface change was much better managed and was actually an improvement. All this bodes ill.

I just bought 3 more years on on of our accounts last week. I don't think I would do it today. I always thought that FM was much better than Gmail and worth the money. If they don't do something drastic about the new interface I'm going to change my mind.
Hank
hankfoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 04:24 AM   #11
mephistodan

I concur with everything mentioned here, especially the missing quick search for folders and the forward as attachment.

it's definitely uglier than gmail and much more cramped.

I have a business package and use my mail.customdomain to access the interface. How can I set the default interface to the classic one so that all my employees get to the correct interface not this new unpractical interface?

How can I get fastcheck to work again?

Why oh why there's not option to select the default interface on an account level rather than using a different link?
mephistodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 04:37 AM   #12
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephistodan View Post
I concur with everything mentioned here, especially the missing quick search for folders and the forward as attachment.

it's definitely uglier than gmail and much more cramped.

I have a business package and use my mail.customdomain to access the interface. How can I set the default interface to the classic one so that all my employees get to the correct interface not this new unpractical interface?

How can I get fastcheck to work again?

Why oh why there's not option to select the default interface on an account level rather than using a different link?
I am hopeful that Classic interface as an Account option will be quickly added.

I am waiting to see what happens with FastCheck. I expect within a day or so we shall know the chances of its broken features returning.

For the rest, I have ranted enough ....
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2012, 04:51 AM   #13
NumberSix

Thanks for the rants, Tim... you've said what needed to be said better than many of us could have.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 06:11 AM   #14
shinobi1

The new user interface has not yet completely destroyed Fastmail . . but it is well on the way.

The saving grace is that ability to select the old UI remains. You have only to check a box. When that feature is removed in future, we are screwed.

The new interface is very time consuming, to wit:

I can no longer mouse over a message title and read the entire title. I now must actually click on the message and bring it up. That's annoying!!

I can no longer permanently delete messages in one step. This is something I do ALL the time. With the new UI two steps are required. That's also annoying!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is as true today as ever. Sadly, people cannot earn a living that way . . there is no work. So they invent problems, nonexistent ones, with a UI which is nearly perfect. Then they "improve" and "fix". That creates work. It's busy work . . but it's work nevertheless and helps earn a paycheck.

But as I wrote earlier, it's all "no bigee" at this point because the old UI remains accessible. But those with a vested interest in the new UI will, over time, lobby for the removal of the old UI, which threatens their validity and their claim to be useful. It always happens that way. And once the old UI is no longer available, we are so totally and completely screwed.

Want to know what happens when foolish people seek to change something that's perfect:

They make it worse!!
shinobi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:07 AM   #15
NickRem

Can't you just log in to the classic interface?
NickRem is offline   Reply With Quote