EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Mar 2003, 07:24 PM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Please Remove the Defualt Signature from New Accounts

This matter was discussed sometime long ago and unfortunately I can't find the thread.

When a new person signs up for an account, at the end of each email, we see:
Quote:
hi..just testing. is this working now?
--
First Lastname
username@fastmail.fm

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service
Please remove the automatic Defualt Signature from new accounts.

Let the user decide for themselves whether then want a signature on their emails or not

Most people do not want their first name, last name, and email address appended at the end of each and every message. But new users are not used to the features right away and are should only have it there if they decide to add it in themselves.

Also, here's no spaces at the end of their last sentence, and the end of all emails with the signature and tag-line is just way too cluttered.

The last time this was discussed, I think Rob agreed and intended to make the default no signature.

Please let new users decide for themselves whether or not they want a signature and let them decide what, if anything, to be included in their signature.

I just spent about 10 minutes explaining to a newbie how to remove the default signature. For new users, the interface takes a while to get used to.

Signatures are very personal.

Please make No Signature the Default on New Accounts

It's not fair to super-impose first name, last name, email address at the very bottom of each outgoing message of new users.

Users may use their own discretion to add a signature when getting used to the features and exploring the interface. Most casual email users for personal use do not use signatures.

Last edited by FromLine : 13 Mar 2003 at 08:55 PM.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Mar 2003, 07:35 PM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Please Remove the Defualt Signature from New Accounts

Quote:
Originally posted by FromLine
Most people do not want their first name, last name, and email address appended at the end of each and every message.
Most people that I know do. It is of course a personal preference (which is why we let people choose).
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2003, 08:52 PM   #3
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Please Remove the Defualt Signature from New Accounts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
(which is why we let people choose).
I can respect that. The point I'm trying to make is that when the service is set up initially, beginners don't seem to be aware that it's there.

They send out an email message, and hit "send".

It's the recipient that sees:

----
Firstname Lastname
username@domain.com

The choice is the very point I'm trying to address here. I think it's best to let them choose for themselves.

In other words, let them choose if they want it there rather than super-imposing it as the defualt.

Some new users I've communicated with had no clue it was even there until I told them about it.

They don't see it when they compose the message and these individuals did not re-view the message in the sent folder, so essentially they are not necessarily aware of it.

I agree 100% that they should choose whether or not they want it in the signature. The fact that it's a default makes it a burden on them and many newbies (less sophisticated users) do not even seem to be aware that it's on their outgoing emails, or much less, understand that they can get it removed or that it's an option.

Last edited by FromLine : 13 Mar 2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 13 Mar 2003, 09:59 PM   #4
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

I am not a newbie to Fastmail fm but I opened a new account not to long ago and did forget to check/change the default signature, since I don't use a signature with this account. This post reminded me. So thanks Fromline

And if this was a poll I would vote for: Please make No Signature the Default on New Accounts

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2003, 10:06 PM   #5

I am a new fastmail user, but I was aware that the signature was enabled by default. I found that out when I was checking out the account options. I think it can be good in a way though, because its a handy way of letting people know you have a new email address. But I guess that it should be optional.

-Stormcrow-
Old 13 Mar 2003, 10:52 PM   #6
mwild

On new accounts I can see the arguments both ways. The FM default is at least better than Opera 7, where the default sig is an advertisment for M2!

However, the default signature is also attached to new personalities, where there's a fair chance of it being wrong - and if it is wrong, it's probably confusing too. Having been caught by this, I suggest that the default for new personalities should be "no sig".
mwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2003, 11:26 PM   #7
Isaac
Essential Contributor

I think it'd be much better to automatically set up that Signature in new accounts, but then default to No Signature for the initial Personality. Then, just tell new users that they can put in a default-style signature by selecting this from the menu.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2003, 11:27 PM   #8
andrew99

Whoops,

...listen to the sound of running feet as stout part exits to check the state of his signatures on all his personalities!

'puff' 'puff' .... return of stout party, panting....

Bloody hell! it was bloody there!

I don't want it, turned it off.

Loads of folk, including the wrong people have been getting the worng email address and my name! GGGRRRRRRR!

Please make the default OFF!
andrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2003, 11:33 PM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by mwild
However, the default signature is also attached to new personalities, where there's a fair chance of it being wrong - and if it is wrong, it's probably confusing too. Having been caught by this, I suggest that the default for new personalities should be "no sig".
That's a good point.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 12:39 AM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

I think that existing policy, re mandatory signatures files, for guest accounts should stay as is. Everyone who pays for a fastmail account wants fastmail to be successful, as a company. If guest accounts are all that anyone wants or needs, there will be no incentive for them ever to upgrade their account. I don't know what the split is (and I don't want to know) but their must be hundreds (or thousands) of account holders that are paying zilch for there accounts. Paying a one time fee should be mandatory in order to get a decent email account at fastmail IMHO:
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 12:57 AM   #11
Isaac
Essential Contributor

David, I think you're splitting the wrong hair here. We're discussing the part of the signature that gives the user's first and last name and their email address, not the part that advertises FastMail.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 01:10 AM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac
David, I think you're splitting the wrong hair here. We're discussing the part of the signature that gives the user's first and last name and their email address, not the part that advertises FastMail.

Thanks Isaac:
I thought that the default signature for new guest accounts was the "promotional message" that advertises fastmail. If that is not the case (and it seems it isn't) I am indeed splitting the wrong hair.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 01:25 AM   #13
ewal
Master of the @

Online Wizard

Would it not be possible to establish an online wizard that a new user (or an existing user creating a new personality etc ) needs to step through. The wizard would give various "defaults" but would allow other variables to be chosen.

This wizard could also pick up other variable options that can be set (e.g. sent folder, spam level, user name, return email address, time zone, display style ....) and then go away and actually set these variable paramaters. Maybe even creating required folders in the process?

This way a new user becomes focussed on what s/he actually needs, begins to realise the enormous potential of FM and makes the entrance to the brave new world of FM so much easier.

just my 2p

ewal
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 05:36 AM   #14
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

A wizard would be nice, but there are so many more pressing things, IMO.
The default sig really needs to be changed for aliases, but for the main account, who would want to be anonymous? Why's it a big deal?

It's generally a bit silly to put an email address in an email since it is generally what's in the From:, but everyone does it.

Ah, I remember the days when I used to have a huge sig, with IM, finger, Address, Phone #, pictures, etc.. Never quite got a geek code in there tho.

X-Face was cool - anyone remember that?
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2003, 05:39 AM   #15
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Isaac
I think it'd be much better to automatically set up that Signature in new accounts, but then default to No Signature for the initial Personality. Then, just tell new users that they can put in a default-style signature by selecting this from the menu.
I think that's an excellent comment on this.

Set up the signature in the signature list, but make the default no signature.

Then give the user the option to select if they wish to display it as is, modify it, or create additional signatures.

As Jeremy said, let them make a choice. But let it be an informative and conscious decision that the user, not fastmail, takes the initiative to implement and/or activate.

I truly have come across newbies that have sent out several emails, not being aware that it was there, as some have mentioned in these replies above.

If fastmail recommends having a signature, I'd recommend educating users about this in the introduction to the new service and the welcome email explaining how to activate the signature if the user chooses to display it.

I do feel it's fair to let the user take the initiative to be educated and fully informed before having this as a default on new accounts.

Last edited by FromLine : 14 Mar 2003 at 05:41 AM.