EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Dec 2017, 05:35 AM   #16
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I guess there is an issue, or I don't properly understand how that variable is supposed to work. I am under the impression that if you want a vacation message to be sent within the time frame one specifies, the vacation rule is only 'enabled' for that time.

I copied the example from the blog. Then I changed the seconds variable to 60, the email address to one of mine, and the text for the message. I sent a mail right away and got the vacation message, then I waited 10 minutes or so and sent another test email. I did get another vacation message.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2017, 05:49 AM   #17
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
... I copied the example from the blog. Then I changed the seconds variable to 60, the email address to one of mine, and the text for the message. I sent a mail right away and got the vacation message, then I waited 10 minutes or so and sent another test email. I did get another vacation message.
Thanks for those results, Bruce. I did the same thing with a 15 second setting and only got one auto-response. I will test 60 seconds and see how that works on my accounts.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2017, 07:57 AM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I still can't get it to work correctly when using vacation seconds of 60. Here is what I'm using for my test:
Code:
vacation :seconds 60
"This is a 60 second test.";
Note that you don't need the :addresses tag if you are sending the test messages to the main account address. As far as I can tell, the response timer is reset when you change the vacation text and save the Sieve changes. After I reset the timer in this manner, the first test message gets a response. But another text message several minutes later does not generate a reply. It is received and appears in the Inbox, but only the reply to the first message is sent (at least within a few hours -- I'm not sure what the default timer is now).

Please try the sieve code I posted above. I am inserting this code between ### 5 and ### 6. That's immediately after the placeholder for the normal rules screen vacation response.

Bill
Old 18 Dec 2017, 09:08 AM   #19
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Oh jeez, I feel stupid. I didn't receive any vacation messages before, I was mistaking the email that I was sending to myself as the vacation response, even though the text of the email and the vacation message were totally different from each other!

I replaced the code that I had used with the code in your last post, Bill, and I know for sure this time that I was only receiving the test email and not getting a vacation message.

So I then enabled the vacation feature in Settings and didn't set a start or end time, but I still did not get a vacation message.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2017, 09:45 AM   #20
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Bill, how did you discover the undocumented extensions?

What does notify 'app' do?
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2017, 09:51 AM   #21
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
...I didn't receive any vacation messages before, I was mistaking the email that I was sending to myself as the vacation response, even though the text of the email and the vacation message were totally different from each other!...
OK. Are you sending the test messages from a different email account (either at Fastmail or another service)? I would not enable both the regular vacation message in the Settings and vacation sieve I posted. My suggestion is to disable the Settings>Vacation feature and add the sieve code I posted where I suggested. Save your sieve code (very important), then try sending a test message to the main (login) email address for your account. You should get an immediate auto-reply if this is the first time you have activated the sieve commands I posted. If you had them there before, make some small change to the time in seconds and the text then save those changes before running the test.

On three Fastmail accounts with 60 seconds specified in the vacation sieve statement I only get one auto-reply. If I wait several messages and send another test message there is no auto-reply.

Fastmail staff will be looking into this tomorrow.

Bill
Old 18 Dec 2017, 10:02 AM   #22
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
Bill, how did you discover the undocumented extensions? What does notify 'app' do?
I saw these in the automatically generated sieve code for my main Fastmail account. I have my calendar linked to another calendar and use the Fastmail iOS app, so my guess is that those other features have to do with support of mobile devices and calendars. For example, this is in my sieve code:
Code:
### 6. Sieve generated for calendar preferences
if   
   allof(  
   header :is "X-ME-Cal-Method" "request", 
   not exists "X-ME-Cal-Exists",
   header :contains "X-Spam-Known-Sender" "in-addressbook"
   ) 
{
   notify :method "addcal";
} 
elsif exists "X-ME-Cal-Exists" {
   notify :method "updatecal"; 
}
It appears to me that this has to do with adding or updating calendar events found in iCalendar .ics attachments.

Bill