EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 7 Jan 2017, 01:08 PM   #1
dim dom

Question I set up a 2nd email address but its not working.

So I went to my webmail account and added a 2nd email address but its not working. I was able to register with this EmailDiscussions forum using my first email address that was set up by my internet provider, but if I were to register using my 2nd email address I would not receive the activation email in my inbox. So I did a test and sent an email to myself(to my 2nd email address), the email did appear in the sent section but that email was sent to my inbox as Returned mail to my first email address. And this is what appeared in the email message- ---The following addresses had permanent fatal errors (shows my 2nd email address)
(reason: 550 5.1.1 <(shows my 2nd email address)>... User unknown)
(expanded from: (shows my 2nd email address)
---Transcript of session follows---
... while talking to [127.0.0.1]:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <(shows my 2nd email address)>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 (shows my 2nd email address)... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
QU- How do i fix this? Thanks.

Last edited by dim dom : 7 Jan 2017 at 01:26 PM.
dim dom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jan 2017, 02:00 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim dom View Post
QU- How do i fix this? Thanks.
My best guess would be that the second email address did not get created (for whatever reason)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2017, 06:42 AM   #3
dim dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My best guess would be that the second email address did not get created (for whatever reason)
I did go to "Addresses" of my web mail account and provided all the correct info to set up 2nd email address then i clicked "Add address" at bottom then my 2nd email address appeared in my "Personel address book" and is still stored there. So it was created by me but its not working. Do you mean i created it and its stored but my web mail account or internet provider doesn't see it as being created or doesn't recognise it as a 2nd email address? Do you think there may be a problem with my web mail account or internet provider? Anything i could do or should i phone my internet provider? Thanks for the reply.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 10:59 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim dom View Post
IDo you mean i created it and its stored but my web mail account or internet provider doesn't see it as being created or doesn't recognise it as a 2nd email address? Do you think there may be a problem with my web mail account or internet provider? Anything i could do or should i phone my internet provider? Thanks for the reply.
I think the problem is with your web mail account. I would try to get in touch with them (if I were you) and explain what is happening,

That said, I am no expert; possibly someone else might want to offer an opinion.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 11:48 AM   #5
dim dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think the problem is with your web mail account.I would try to get in touch with them. Possibly someone else might want to offer an opinion
I just now did another test and went to my web mail and composed and sent an email using a fake email address i just thought up in my head that i did not create and did not add to my personel address book,it was this, "fff@nnnnnnnnnnn.ca".and the exact same thing happened as my 2hd email address,it appeared in the sent section and appeared in my inbox as returned mail as this- The original message was received at Sat, 7 Jan 2017 21:31:12 -0500
from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<fff@nnnnnnnnnnn.ca>
(reason: 550 Host unknown)
----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.2 <fff@nnnnnnnnnnn.ca>... Host unknown (Name server: nnnnnnnnnnn.ca: host
not found)
SO you are correct, my web mail account is treating my 2nd email address as not being created when i did create it.

Last edited by dim dom : 8 Jan 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 12:42 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Your personal address book is for storing addresses of others, not your own email address. When you add an email address to your address book, you are not creating an email account.

Who is your email provider? Exactly how are you "creating" the email address?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2017, 09:01 AM   #7
dim dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Your personal address book is for storing addresses of others, not your own email address. When you add an email address to your address book, you are not creating an email account.

Who is your email provider? Exactly how are you "creating" the email address?

Bill
I guess for now i won't mention my internet provider but
i go to my web mail account, click Addresses and i fill in the following and click Add address at bottom when i'm done-
-
Add to Personal address book
Nickname: Must be unique
E-mail address:
First name:
Last name:
Additional info:
Add address
-
Then the email address i created(?) using the above appears at top under Personel address book. SO this is not the way to create an email address on my web mail account? HOW do i? Thanks!!!

Last edited by dim dom : 9 Jan 2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 09:40 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The purpose of the personal address book is to store the existing email addresses of others.

It's exactly the same as keeping someone's postal street address in an address book. This allows you to keep track of their postal address, but it does not create a new valid delivery address for the post office or other delivery services. You can't create a PO box or street address by yourself!

Email addresses exist at a domain (the portion after the @ symbol). Someone has to register a new domain (which costs money) and maintain domain name records for that domain which specify the address of the incoming mail servers for that domain. For example, Google Inc. owns the gmail.com domain. They control all email addresses which end with @gmail.com. You can't create a new email address at gmail.com or any other domain unless one of these is true:
  • You own the domain, which means you control how email sent to that domain is delivered.
  • You have an account at an email service provider which controls that domain (such as a Gmail account for gmail.com) and the email service provider allows you to create a new delivery address.
I hope this is clear. An email address which accepts incoming messages has a significant cost to the email provider, so most free email providers only give you one address per account, and you pay as you watch advertising. Paid email providers may allow you to create multiple email delivery addresses, since you pay for this privilege.

Bill
Old 9 Jan 2017, 11:19 AM   #9
dim dom

Oh, ok thanks, i now understand i was only storing a 2nd email address in my personal address book that was not created as a real functioning email address, thats why it didn't work. My internet provider is Fastcom.ca and i can have up to 10 email addresses if i'm correct about that. Anyone know how i could create my own email address or do i have to phone fastcom?

Last edited by dim dom : 9 Jan 2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 11:43 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

What do you mean by "my own email address"? The one you are using now is "your own" in the sense no-one else has access to it (unless you are careless with the password ).

If you mean an address which you will really own (as opposed to having an exclusive use of), you have to register your own domain first. Then you could have address(es) of the whatever@yourowndomain.tld form. This will cost you upwards of around $10 per annum.

Use your favourite web search engine to look up domain registration. This matter has also been extensively discussed here.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2017, 01:45 AM   #11
dim dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
What do you mean by "my own email address"? The one you are using now is "your own" in the sense no-one else has access to it (unless you are careless with the password ).
If you mean an address which you will really own (as opposed to having an exclusive use of), you have to register your own domain first. Then you could have address(es) of the whatever@yourowndomain.tld form. This will cost you upwards of around $10 per annum.
Use your favourite web search engine to look up domain registration. This matters been extensively discussed here.
No, I mean my email address as in when i send an email to someone with a message i typed, i'll also ask them to email me back at (my email address), then the email sent by them to me appears in my inbox. I have 1 email address set up by my internet provider, so is there any way i could set up a 2nd email address through my web mail account or do i have to contact my internet provider? Sorry for all these questions.
Old 10 Jan 2017, 04:59 AM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You will need to read the Fastcom.ca help or contact them if your email address is at their domain.

Bill
Old 10 Jan 2017, 08:02 AM   #13
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You will need to read the Fastcom.ca help or contact them if your email address is at their domain.

Bill
Agreed: I did not fully realize that you were trying to create an account by using the address book, when I first read your post, dim dom.

Your best bet is to follow Bill's advice, imho.