EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Jul 2014, 03:55 AM   #61
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

jarland,

Could you tell us more about your accepted methods of payment and the number of years one may purchase?

Looking at your plans page, and clicking on any plan, for the "Term and Price" it's only giving the option of 1 year, although it appears to be a drop-down menu?

Also, at that stage, there's no mention of types of payment acceptable.

As regards other paid providers, I have mainly encountered two types of plan/payment:

1. Paying initially by a (credit) card for 1 year, which is then enabled as a recurring payment, in that a payment is taken from your card every year.

2. Being able to purchase upfront a plan with a choice of term (1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc), by (credit) card, PayPal or similar.

For myself, I much prefer the second option.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 04:37 AM   #62
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Great thoughts!

PayPal is the only supported method at the moment. Plans are only available for 1 year purchase but I will extend this up to 3 years tomorrow.

I'll try to make it more clear as to what payment methods are supported before purchase.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 04:42 AM   #63
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
In the mall control panel, next to the name of the domain, click on list accounts. From there, click edit next to the mail account name. There is a box to add in the addresses to forward to from there
Thanks Jarland! I am as vigilant as you when it comes to protecting my email accounts from spam. That's why I use Catchall, where I use a different email address for each subscription/purchase/etc so I can quickly disable or otherwise reject unwanted emails to that address.
By the way, are there settings available to reject email addresses and domains?

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 5 Jul 2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Typo
ReuvenNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 07:52 AM   #64
emebrs
Essential Contributor

When I click the "Get Started" link to create an account, I am sent to a form on a page that is apparently not encrypted. It is on that form that I am supposed to type a password.
Edit: The page I am talking about is on billing.mxroute.com

Last edited by emebrs : 5 Jul 2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: more information
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:33 AM   #65
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I suspect that some users think of forwarding as the only method to get messages to another account, or at least it is the first method that comes to mind.
When communicating that forwarding messages is a bad idea, shouldn't the next phrase or sentence be "POP retrieval from your primary account is a better method to accomplish this task for the following reasons ...".?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:40 AM   #66
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I suspect that some users think of forwarding as the only method to get messages to another account, or at least it is the first method that comes to mind.
When communicating that forwarding messages is a bad idea, shouldn't the next phrase or sentence be "POP retrieval from your primary account is a better method to accomplish this task for the following reasons ...".?
POP is destructive, IMAP retrieval is better. Also, with SRS the SPF rejection problem goes away.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:57 AM   #67
innomation

So, I initially caught Jarlands post on another site, and decided to give it a go as I was looking for an alternative for Google Apps, which is no longer a free server. I've only tested it with the one domain, one email account ($1/yr is very cheap for 10gb of external).

I didn't receive my email right away (not surprisingly, I found out Google sent it to the spam box), and Support was very quick, and very helpful in getting me the information I needed.

Something to keep in mind, I believe mxRoute is meant to replace Google App (which unfortunately is no longer free, and overpriced). mxRoute was the ideal solution for me as a replacement, and so far am very happy with it.

I know this is a fairly new project (running 6-7 months I believe), but has plent of potential.

Best of luck Jarland, I hope to see this service take off!
innomation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2014, 09:30 AM   #68
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Has anyone specifically tried using MXroute with the default mail app in iOS 7 via IMAP?
Old 5 Jul 2014, 01:27 PM   #69
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
By the way, are there settings available to reject email addresses and domains?
Currently there is not a way to do this, however that is a great thought for the next big upgrade to the service (the one I keep calling MXroute v2). A lot of features are not options due to the limitations that I set for myself by using the system that I did as the basis for MXroute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
When I click the "Get Started" link to create an account, I am sent to a form on a page that is apparently not encrypted. It is on that form that I am supposed to type a password.
Edit: The page I am talking about is on billing.mxroute.com
This is true. Feel free to use a simple password and then change it in the mail control panel, which does use SSL. All billing is done via PayPal so no billing information is going over a non-SSL session. There is no real reason that an SSL is not available on the billing area right now beyond the fact that this was a rushed move to pull MXroute from Catalyst Host to meet personal legal requirements. Certain things had to take a backseat to basic functionality and will soon be ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
It should, but most of the time that I suggest this I am met with further complaints about the delay of POP retrieval systems like Gmail's Fetcher. I've found it to be a mostly lose-lose scenario where the best thing that I can do is to just be honest and set clear expectations up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
POP is destructive, IMAP retrieval is better. Also, with SRS the SPF rejection problem goes away.
Yes, but the spam problem unfortunately does not. The only effective filters right now focus on content and not just headers, which means there is no effective way to send spam to a server that has an effective spam filter that does not result in that server recognizing you as a sender of spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innomation View Post
So, I initially caught Jarlands post on another site, and decided to give it a go as I was looking for an alternative for Google Apps, which is no longer a free server. I've only tested it with the one domain, one email account ($1/yr is very cheap for 10gb of external).

I didn't receive my email right away (not surprisingly, I found out Google sent it to the spam box), and Support was very quick, and very helpful in getting me the information I needed.

Something to keep in mind, I believe mxRoute is meant to replace Google App (which unfortunately is no longer free, and overpriced). mxRoute was the ideal solution for me as a replacement, and so far am very happy with it.

I know this is a fairly new project (running 6-7 months I believe), but has plent of potential.

Best of luck Jarland, I hope to see this service take off!
Thank you for the kind words! I do intend to rival Google Apps. For myself, and for others. Plenty of things that are needed to be done to get to this point, but development continues to be a daily thing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emebrs View Post
Has anyone specifically tried using MXroute with the default mail app in iOS 7 via IMAP?
I do. It works well for me in iOS 7 and 8.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:50 AM   #70
me0000

What spam filtering is there?
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:54 AM   #71
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by me0000 View Post
What spam filtering is there?
SpamAssassin with bayesian filtering and per-user bayesian database trained by each user by moving mail to the Spam folder where I run sa-learn executed as the user each night.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 02:17 AM   #72
me0000

Will you improve on that?

E.g. greylisting etc.

Perhaps look at FM's methods?
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2014, 11:56 AM   #73
emebrs
Essential Contributor

If I choose MXroute for use in a small business, I don't know how I can enforce the no-forwarding rule among our employees.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 01:10 PM   #74
adamlau

Forwarding is established from an administrative control panel which employees should neither have, nor require access to.
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2014, 10:16 PM   #75
@Tornado

jarland... Please read your Private Message. Thanks!
@Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote