EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 1 Nov 2013, 11:37 PM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

ads on the forum

Unless I've failed to notice them in the past, it seems to me that ads have suddenly begun to appear at the top of the page when I navigate to EMD. Is this because of some recent need for revenue, or for some other reason?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Nov 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

They're new, but will only be shown to guests i.e. unregistered users.

They will (should) be completely invisible to logged-in users, and there are no plans to show ads to logged-in users in the foreseeable future. It is the forum members and their contributions that make this community such a great place to be, and therefore I don't think it is appropriate for registered users to be inconvenienced by advertising.

NOTE: the exact position and format of the ads may change as I experiment with various things, but regardless of implementation they will only be shown to guests not logged-in forum members.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:17 AM   #3
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
If you want some help copying the Email Questions ad layout for guests let me know.

I've already done most of the work figuring out what works best for our vB3 + email traffic.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
They're new, but will only be shown to guests i.e. unregistered users.

They will (should) be completely invisible to logged-in users, and there are no plans to show ads to logged-in users in the foreseeable future. It is the forum members and their contributions that make this community such a great place to be, and therefore I don't think it is appropriate for registered users to be inconvenienced by advertising.

NOTE: the exact position and format of the ads may change as I experiment with various things, but regardless of implementation they will only be shown to guests not logged-in forum members.
Thanks, Edwin, for the reply. It is entirely understandable that you will do what you feel is best for the continued good health of the forum.

As for members seeing the ads, unless one were to stay permanently logged in, a member will see the ads when first arriving at the site and prior to logging in, isn't that correct?

I don't know what others do, but unless I know I'm coming right back, I always clear cookies when leaving every site that I visit, EMD included. So, each time that I return to EMD, I am temporarily a guest until I have entered credentials and logged in as a member, and I will see the ads at that time. That is not a problem. I just wanted to make sure that I have understood correctly.
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
As for members seeing the ads, unless one were to stay permanently logged in, a member will see the ads when first arriving at the site and prior to logging in, isn't that correct?
Yes, that's correct. But I assume you'll log in from the homepage, and after that the ads will be gone...
Old 2 Nov 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
If you want some help copying the Email Questions ad layout for guests let me know.

I've already done most of the work figuring out what works best for our vB3 + email traffic.
Thanks. I took a look but the ad placements look a bit too aggressive for what I'm looking for (though it looks like you've really put a lot of thought into how to integrate them into the overall look of the forum). I'll bear the offer in mind going forward, though!
Old 2 Nov 2013, 03:28 AM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Can't see any point myself in logging out of the forum - so I don't.

I just hope the appearance of ads does not encourage others to believe they can sign up and post their own ads.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2013, 05:01 AM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Can't see any point myself in logging out of the forum - so I don't.
plus one (plain +1 is too short...)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:04 PM   #9
communicant

coincidence or tracking?

I sometimes check the site and take a look around without logging in, unless I intend to write a post. That is what I did this morning, and among other threads I read the one concerning fax-to-email. When I returned to the home page, I noticed that the banner ad (which was still visible to me because I had not yet logged in) had changed to an ad for eFax, right after I had been reading the email-to-fax thread. Was that just an odd coincidence, or are visitors tracked around the site and presented with targeted ads, depending on what threads they read?
Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:06 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
are visitors tracked around the site and presented with targeted ads, depending on what threads they read?
This would make sense...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
@Tornado

The ads are not too bad... I like the fact you turn them off for logged in users. Thanks Edwin for all you do. I like the new colors.
@Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 12:22 AM   #12
communicant

Targeted ads might well 'make sense' (as janusz has said), but if that is the case (and Edwin has yet to be heard from regarding this topic, so we don't know if any tracking exists or not), it would be rather unsettling and quite a departure from what we have grown used to at EMD.

Especially for those who never log out (as some have indicated), this would also raise the question of what becomes of the tracking cookies, and whether their placement would add to the ability of data miners to track someone around the web after leaving EMD.

And (still assuming for the sake of discussion that tracking at EMD now exists in conjunction with the ads, which remains speculative at this point), is the information gathered at EMD by advertisers added to whatever sort of profile the data miners create for each of us and are always trying to augment? Interest in on-line faxing is neutral enough, and it may indeed 'make sense' to target ads for eFax to those who have just read a thread about email faxing, but it is a bit unsettling to contemplate the possibility of one's overall EMD habits being sifted through for other possible interests and concerns.

Another practical query would concern the effect of logging in on any (still hypothetical) tracking. Since ads are not visible to members who have logged in, would it be logical to assume that advertisers would therefore lack any motivation to track a member around the site, since targeted ads would not be seen? Or perhaps the tracking is still performed anyway, since data miners are not known for either logic or restraint.

I hope Edwin will clarify the matter soon, and I hope the entire concern is moot and that the eFax ad was simply a coincidence.