EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Oct 2017, 06:32 AM   #1
artmanphoto

Hacked Email Account

I think my daughter's hotmail email account has been hacked and I don't know what to tell her to prevent future issues or damage.

I received an email from her today and in the From: field it said her first and last name <jo@attic-inspirations.co.uk>

The message body said "I thought you would enjoy it http://www.bk7k.tefsinm.press/

The .uk email address is not her address and I don't know how they got her real first and last name.

Can anyone tell me how to have her proceed to safeguard her hotmail email address?

Thanks, Bill
artmanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Oct 2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmanphoto View Post
I think my daughter's hotmail email account has been hacked and I don't know what to tell her to prevent future issues or damage.

I received an email from her today and in the From: field it said her first and last name <jo@attic-inspirations.co.uk>

The message body said "I thought you would enjoy it http://www.bk7k.tefsinm.press/

The .uk email address is not her address and I don't know how they got her real first and last name.

Can anyone tell me how to have her proceed to safeguard her hotmail email address?
Probably this is spam and not the result of hacking. Your daughter need to scan her computer on viruses, etc. And following up the updates offered.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

NB - A person does not need to have access to an email account in order to send an email which appears to have come from that account. Email "From:" fields and others are VERY easily forged and should not be trusted 100%. They could have picked your daughter's name from anywhere, or it could just be a coincidence. It is possible that one of her friends' address books has been hacked, or more likely that it has come from a website she has signed in to at some time. There is unfortunately nothing she can do about this.

Last edited by Adrian Bell : 5 Oct 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2017, 09:26 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Like, I guess, most members of this forum, I've had a Hotmail account for many years, and all those years ago I didn't take steps to safeguard/secure that account.

I've learnt a lot since then, especially from this forum!

At one stage a few years ago, I started getting spam sent from that e-mail address, and looking at the people the e-mails were being sent to, it was obvious the information had been taken from the address book in that account.

And again, since then, I've taken steps to secure that account (changed password, 2FA, etc), but from time to time I still get occasional spam being sent from that account e-mail address (again to people from the address book).

I've resigned myself to the fact that I certainly haven't been able to stop the spam - the information is out there, and I have no control of it now.

I would advise your daughter to abandon the hotmail account and start again with a new e-mail address - and be very careful who she gives that address to.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote