EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Jun 2020, 01:45 AM   #16
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
I believe he was referring to the Deliver to alias setting.

For my own education I'm curious about that DiscardThis@contoso.com. Never heard of that before? Is it documented somewhere? Contoso.com is but how does DiscardThis@contoso.com essentially map into a "black hole"? Don't see any info on that local part.
You can use any email address of the domain contoso.com (foo@contoso.com is fine). I suggest using something descriptive because it is easier to understand the logic in the future if the use of contoso.com for the moment escapes you
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2020, 07:20 PM   #17
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

What once was, is no longer

I changed nothing in my rules, but rules that have worked for years to automatically delete specific senders to trash now let the senders through into my spam box, day after day!

I received a message about my having something called a "sieve filter" that needs some sort of attention. I know NOTHING about this, don't know where it is and don't know what I'm being told to do about it.

I've used this email client since I was using WEB TV because it was understandable and reliable. Not so anymore! Why does technology find it necessary to periodically try to reinvent itself??

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 22 Jun 2020 at 08:37 PM.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2020, 09:57 PM   #18
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Am I correct in understanding that things that would have been discarded (via UI rules) now go to the trash instead?

Can someone explain to me why this is a problem? Have I missed something important?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2020, 10:00 PM   #19
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by m46ah_30 View Post
I received a message about my having something called a "sieve filter" that needs some sort of attention. I know NOTHING about this, don't know where it is and don't know what I'm being told to do about it.
It's possible that Fastmail wrote some sieve for you ages ago to solve a specific problem. They did this for me once and, when I started to use sieve, I rediscovered it - had totally forgotten it was there.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 11:09 PM   #20
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
You should take it up with support.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2020, 11:25 PM   #21
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Am I correct in understanding that things that would have been discarded (via UI rules) now go to the trash instead?

Can someone explain to me why this is a problem? Have I missed something important?
My error... in my frustration I typed "trash" instead of "spam" which is now where some, but not all, of the messages I created rules to automatically delete are now ending up. Yes, I checked the entries for the addresses that this is happening to. There are no duplicates and no address errors. One thing that puzzles me is why FM finds it necessary to mark each message I want to auto-delete as "mark message as read" before dumping it. I know who they are from and have no need to read them. Does this default action serve some special purpose?

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 22 Jun 2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 08:28 PM   #22
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
You should take it up with support.
How do I contact support, plz? I need to be able to converse with someone, not just read what is supposed to solve my problems. I am not techie. Very little of what I read makes any sense to me. My primary problem is that rules that have worked smoothly for years to sort incoming mail to appropriate folders now fail and end messages from long-time contacts to destinations where they don't belong. I have just about reached the end of my tolerance with this fiasco!

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 23 Jun 2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 09:11 PM   #23
JamesHenderson

Quote:
How do I contact support, plz? I need to be able to converse with someone, not just read what is supposed to solve my problems.
It's not in real time unfortunately:
https://www.fastmail.com/support/

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 23 Jun 2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:16 PM   #24
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thanks, but I've already been to those pages and found no help. I think it's time to look for an email service that isn't so focused on business and power users.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:22 PM   #25
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Thanks, but I've already been to those pages and found no help. I think it's time to look for an email service that isn't so focused on business and power users.
...that's the page where you can write a message directly to the Fastmail team (and a human replies) but you do need to be logged in for it to work.

You can also email them directly at support@fastmail.com
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:34 PM   #26
TenFour
Master of the @

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find any consumer-grade email service where you can speak to an actual human being on the phone. Maybe some will let you schedule a call back, but most try to funnel you through their automated systems or will respond via email. Personally, I like the email route if they respond promptly. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to hold an email discussion with someone who takes three days to respond to each email. On the other hand, some business-grade systems, like G Suite and Microsoft's various business levels, do have phone numbers you can call and sometimes reach people directly, or they will call you back. However, I have found it is a mixed bag how useful this is. Sometimes you reach someone who is great and can actually solve the problem. Other times you reach someone who is not helpful and you are back to square one. It is often worth calling back at a different time to try another person. Humans are not all the same!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:46 PM   #27
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
...that's the page where you can write a message directly to the Fastmail team (and a human replies) but you do need to be logged in for it to work.

You can also email them directly at support@fastmail.com
Well, that a start. Thanx! PM sent to you...