EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 7 Mar 2021, 02:48 AM   #1
digp
Master of the @

mailo.com

Is anyone using this?

Looking for an alternative since Fastmail took basic app support away from basic package. thanks.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Mar 2021, 02:51 AM   #2
digp
Master of the @

Also, considering startmail.com and mailbox.org

Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.
Old 7 Mar 2021, 05:50 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Looking for an alternative since Fastmail took basic app support away from basic package. thanks.
It's not available to new subscribers. Existing subscribers can continue to use their apps.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2021, 07:32 AM   #4
Bamb0
Master of the @

There are n0 good email services anymore FREE....

I am grateful I have the two I have (One from our friend Jeffpan and the other safe-mail.net/login)

Last edited by Bamb0 : 8 Mar 2021 at 01:39 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2021, 04:06 PM   #5
balaji

I have been using Mailo for since May last year and I hope this helps -> https://emaildiscussions.com/showpos...82&postcount=6
balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2021, 07:55 PM   #6
digp
Master of the @

mailo v mailfence?

what do you think?

cannot believe FM were foolish enough to pull this stunt of no mobile email app support!
Old 8 Mar 2021, 06:09 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
There ar eno good email services anymore FREE....

I am grateful I have the two I have (One from our friend Jeffpan and the other safe-mail.net/login)
I've been a Safe-Mail fan for years, until someday a couple of years ago there was a large technical problem. By the time I could log in again, recent emails were lost. I also receive way too much spam in Safe-Mail.

I still keep the account, but I wouldn't rely on it anymore for any important things.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2021, 10:48 AM   #8
emoore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
mailo v mailfence?
Of the two I'd choose Mailo. Its much cheaper and has roughly the same features. My main concerns are how good is their spam detection , do they have a support forum and are they too much B2B focused.

There is no mention of what anti-spam software they use. They just talk about "advanced anti-spam features, based on predictive heuristic filters, to identify unwanted messages and phishing attempts". They list "premium assistance" but its not clear what that means.

Mailfence uses a Javascript based implementation of OpenPGP. That's much easier to implement but not trustworthy IMHO. While I don't care about OpenPGP any email provider willing to make that sort of tradeoff I don't want to use.

I'm also thinking about leaving Fastmail. Care to share what other email providers you considered and why you rejected them?
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2021, 01:42 PM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami
I've been a Safe-Mail fan for years, until someday a couple of years ago there was a large technical problem. By the time I could log in again, recent emails were lost. I also receive way too much spam in Safe-Mail.

I still keep the account, but I wouldn't rely on it anymore for any important things.
Ya they seem to be wary of letting stuff off the server..... I think almost nothing I used to send went out!! (Im a FREE member)

I emailed them and assured them im not a spammer,I asked them to look at my email history and see for themselves..... (Almost all email providers have logs of sent emails)

It seems to be better I think...I think almost everything I send goes out now.......

Last edited by Bamb0 : 9 Mar 2021 at 10:45 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2021, 12:49 AM   #10
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Ya they seem to be wary of letting stuff off the server..... I think almost nothing I used to send went out!! (Im a FREE member)

I emaled them and assured them im not a spammer,I asked them to look at my email history and see for themselves..... (Almost all email providers have logs of sent emails)

It seems to be better I think...I think almost everything I send goes out now.......
When I needed the Safe-Mail support, I did it per telephone call as I wasn't sure how to reach them per email. They are based in Israel, so those calls weren't cheap, but I have to say they responded to my question very well.

That said, I lost my confidence in them a bit after those technical problems in which they lost a portion of the stored emails. When I store emails instead of deleting them, it means I want them to remain accesible. So this is a very serious issue in my opinion.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2021, 03:46 AM   #11
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji View Post
I have been using Mailo for since May last year and I hope this helps -> https://emaildiscussions.com/showpos...82&postcount=6
Any issues with Activesync?
Old 9 Mar 2021, 03:48 AM   #12
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
Of the two I'd choose Mailo. Its much cheaper and has roughly the same features. My main concerns are how good is their spam detection , do they have a support forum and are they too much B2B focused.

There is no mention of what anti-spam software they use. They just talk about "advanced anti-spam features, based on predictive heuristic filters, to identify unwanted messages and phishing attempts". They list "premium assistance" but its not clear what that means.

Mailfence uses a Javascript based implementation of OpenPGP. That's much easier to implement but not trustworthy IMHO. While I don't care about OpenPGP any email provider willing to make that sort of tradeoff I don't want to use.

I'm also thinking about leaving Fastmail. Care to share what other email providers you considered and why you rejected them?
Yes, I will post a more detailed note asap this or next week to help you.

Mailfence free does not have mobile support. Only on paid for account and is twice the cost.

I went for Mailo as French based, free package has activesync, imap etc and so took that, but paid to move up to the premium package. Had a few teething issues but given the cost 12Euros a year can't really argue.
Old 10 Mar 2021, 02:59 AM   #13
digp
Master of the @

Mailo activesync is either broken or their outbound spam filters too aggressive, I have had it tell me email being sent out is being rejected, so I end up sending it several times (changing the text to try and force it through) & when I log into webmail I see several copies of that email having been sent!

It also is not instant and quite often does not alert on the phone for a while!

I have switched to imap for now but will keep it under review.

I would rather they charged say $20-$25 a year and provider a more reliable experience.

Last edited by digp : 14 Mar 2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10 Mar 2021, 03:53 AM   #14
digp
Master of the @

okay, the imap is even more flakier.

visibly slow to load messages!

have signed up for a trial account with mailbox.org, will see how that goes too.
Old 10 Mar 2021, 05:34 PM   #15
lpn

Quote:
Mailo activesync is either broken or their outbound spam filters too aggressive, I have had it tell me email being sent out is being rejected, so I end up sending it several times (changing the text to try and force it through) & when I log into webmail I see several copies of that email having been sent!

It also is not instant and quite often does not alert on the phone for a while!

I have switched to imap for now but will keep it under review.

I was considering them too and this is not good indeed.
Did you try to contact them just in case that this is a temporary glitch?
lpn is offline   Reply With Quote