EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 30 Aug 2019, 10:23 PM   #121
evfrson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
They indeed still produce quality music, and that after 30 years of existance I don't really have a favourite era.

I do think it is tempting for them to play mainly the big classics that everyone knows, with the risk that some albums don't have any songs in the setlists for a long time. That's always the downside of bands with such an impressive back catalogue. In fact they could easily do a concert of 2 or 2.5 hours and it would still be amazing from the first to the last second.

I miss the site manics.nl, which used to analyse every song lyric and sum up the references, quotes, etc in their lyrics. That site was a true gem. I don't know if it is archived somewhere. It was truly a great resource.
Agree entirely with your point of playing the same songs over and over and over to the exclusion of their less well known ones.

I used to be a session drummer and have toured a few times with the Manics and a lot of other (mainly British) bands and I used to try to get them to play their lesser known songs but to no avail. The bands always used to say the fans want to hear the biggies and sort of implied it wasn't my place to dictate the playlist
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2019, 10:29 PM   #122
Bamb0
Master of the @

Listening to my Allman brothers record (At fillmore east)

Current song: Statesboro blues
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 12:11 AM   #123
evfrson

Zero 7 - Destiny (Extended)

https://youtu.be/RxBwZg4pdTg
Old 31 Aug 2019, 07:12 PM   #124
evfrson

Sky - Son of Hotta

https://youtu.be/PmujuyiM4Vs
Old 31 Aug 2019, 09:39 PM   #125
shenton
Essential Contributor

Recently (12 months ago) discovered Big Big Train- the most English band I have ever found and currently my number 1 band. Current track, London Plane!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 09:40 PM   #126
shenton
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfrson View Post
Sky - Son of Hotta

https://youtu.be/PmujuyiM4Vs
Saw them live twice in 1979/1980ish- astonishingly good!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2019, 09:47 PM   #127
evfrson

Yes they are/were brilliant live and the late Kevin Peek was amazing in this vid.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 12:57 AM   #128
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Listening to Robert Johnson - Close Personal Friend

Responsibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2wp...A7cIi&index=15
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2019, 03:04 AM   #129
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Agree entirely with your point of playing the same songs over and over and over to the exclusion of their less well known ones.

I used to be a session drummer and have toured a few times with the Manics and a lot of other (mainly British) bands and I used to try to get them to play their lesser known songs but to no avail. The bands always used to say the fans want to hear the biggies and sort of implied it wasn't my place to dictate the playlist
You toured with the Manics? Lucky one! Which other bands did you tour with?
When it comes to British bands, I'm a big fan of Suede, Echo & The Bunnymen, and Placebo too. And The Smiths, but those are sadly enough done forever probably (unless Morrissey suddenly wants to forget his conflict with Mike Joyce, but can't see that happen... ever )

As for setlists, it's similar with most bands, they play their big hits. Especially at festivals, where they can win some extra fans who weren't familiar with their work before.

I've seen Echo & The Bunnymen live plenty of times, and my one critic --as good as their concerts are each time-- is that the setlist gets a bit predictable. They sometimes rotate a bit between their songs from the first 5 albums, but they almost never play any song of the "What are you going to do with your life?", "Flowers", "Siberia" and "Fountain" albums. As if their post-reunion material doesn't exist. I understand their success was biggest during the 80s and they scored their biggest successes then, but their more recent albums contain some really good songs that may never be played live again.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2019, 08:24 PM   #130
evfrson

I am only a session drummer (touring/studio) so nothing that special. I was never a permanent band member.
I've played with too many artists to mention here but some standout ones are Queen, Roxy Music, Suede, The Specials, Scritti Politti, Sky etc etc

You have a good taste in music there mate

I came here looking for a good reliable email service for my company and saw this thread and thought it looked interesting so I just threw in a few of my faves..

I hope you guys don't mind.

Stay classy
Old 2 Sep 2019, 07:28 AM   #131
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am only a session drummer (touring/studio) so nothing that special. I was never a permanent band member.
I've played with too many artists to mention here but some standout ones are Queen, Roxy Music, Suede, The Specials, Scritti Politti, Sky etc etc
Purely out of interest. What does a session musician do in such great bands? Soundchecking? Or do you really play songs with them?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2019, 10:43 PM   #132
evfrson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Purely out of interest. What does a session musician do in such great bands? Soundchecking? Or do you really play songs with them?
Of course we play songs with them.
Band members get sick (either genuine or drink/drugs lol), have arguments, family problems etc etc so session musicians are called in to keep things going whether in the studio or touring.

Being a drummer and stuck at the back of the stage this doesn't really get noticed by many people which is all good. ( I have actually been asked a few times to dress as a band member to fool the audience )

In the studio, tracks are required to be completed to strict deadlines so, if band members can't record for whatever reason, again we are asked to help out.

The only indication that a different drummer was used is if you are geeky enough to read the track credits.

I also do film scores, commercials, TV, private parties etc etc so a good variety of work.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 10:58 PM   #133
evfrson

A lot of people dismiss Kylie Minogue as mind-numbing drivel, but for someone who earns a million dollars per live show she must be doing something right.
I toured a few shows with Kylie and this extended track was one of my faves.

What Do I Have To Do (Extended Mix)

https://youtu.be/wLuOCs1Twco

Old 5 Sep 2019, 09:41 PM   #134
evfrson

Love this for the seizure inducing video : Republica - Ready to Go

https://youtu.be/JgffRW1fKDk
Old 6 Sep 2019, 12:01 AM   #135
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
A lot of people dismiss Kylie Minogue as mind-numbing drivel
Count me amongst them, I considered her a product of the Stock Aitken Waterman phenomenon of the time, when everyone they used turned to gold, although I must admit that Rick Astley does have a very good voice, but not provided with suitable material to make the best use of it - similar IMHO to Lulu and Tom Jones, great voices but poor songs.

Kylie was just in the right place at the right time.

I should be so lucky!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote