EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:12 PM   #1
fmnewbee
Master of the @

adawareSE much better than old Adawere and ???

I failed to notic that my AdAware was not the latest. I didn't know that the SE was a much improved and better product so I trusted the older Adawere &.0 or something.

To my surprise I suddenly realised I ahd to look into waht this SE stood for and the difference.

so I downloaded it and it uninstalled my old one and started to look through my HD adn lo and behold found Alexa there.

I had trusted old adawere to have taken it away but the new one was better.

not sure for how long this alexa had been there. The log gave no date for when it was started on my computer.

Alexa what does it do?

Do they have all my credidcard numbers and passwords now and know all about me or what?

Trew
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

No, nothing as dramatic as that

Alexa watches you surf (if you have the Alexa toolbar installed) and records which sites you go to in order to contribute to the traffic ratings. If you browse http://www.alexa.com/ for a bit you should see various types of traffic stats - that's all compiled from data recorded from toolbar users.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:46 PM   #3
stonecypher

Alexa is a well-known spyware outfit. Their basic approach is to track where you go on the internet so they can target advertising to your particular interests. Alexa can be a component of popular software such as Eudora and Microsoft. It is always a good idea to change your passwords regularly, and if you have concerns about credit card numbers, you should probably bite the bullet and deal with that too.
stonecypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 09:44 PM   #4
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have found the new one always detects a lot of things from MyWay -- which makes me wonder if I should have an email with them, as I rarely use it anyway. I was wondering if I should delete it and strip it from the registry as well....

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 10:45 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

Again, let's not over-sensationalise Alexa.

They are part of the Amazon group (yes, THAT Amazon), and ONLY collect data about websites being browsed. Their application does not log specific actions (e.g. data being entered) on any site, only which sites a user visits.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:33 PM   #6
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by SusanUKF
I have found the new one always detects a lot of things from MyWay -- which makes me wonder if I should have an email with them, as I rarely use it anyway. I was wondering if I should delete it and strip it from the registry as well....

Susan.
I was reading about this yesterday the answer is YES!
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=
Check out the links.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 12:48 AM   #7
stonecypher

The Myway Speedbar is not good, but if you stay away from that, Myway itself is an excellent web portal with no banner ads or popups, and the Myway email service is quite decent with 125mb storage and no advertising or spam in my experience.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 02:43 AM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
Again, let's not over-sensationalise Alexa.
Anyone with IE6 or better on their pc has Alexa. Microsoft used the Alexa company (the spyware one) to do special kind of "what’s related" searches (if you turn it on) in IE so it's not used in the same way as when you, unknowingly, downloaded it as spyware.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 06:41 AM   #9
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by stonecypher
The Myway Speedbar is not good, but if you stay away from that, Myway itself is an excellent web portal with no banner ads or popups, and the Myway email service is quite decent with 125mb storage and no advertising or spam in my experience.
OK, here we go.

I trust the SpywareInfo.com web site and the owner to give out good info and advice. In April 2003, read what he had to say about MyWay, all services included:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...3/24.php#myway (from mister's Google link)
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 05:48 PM   #10
stonecypher

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon1
OK, here we go.

I trust the SpywareInfo.com web site and the owner to give out good info and advice. In April 2003, read what he had to say about MyWay, all services included:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newslette...3/24.php#myway (from mister's Google link)
I have to admit the author makes a good case! I retract my recommendation of myway mail, and I will be looking to replace this account. There are so many good choices that is is unnecessary to fool around with companies that have engaged in deceptive or disreputable business practices.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 06:27 PM   #11
fmnewbee
Master of the @

I have a MyWay account and had Alexa ...

without remembering I ever said ok to it.

If one join MyWay do they lowload Alexa without consent, without one notice it?

Or could I have got it via IE then and Adaware SE being more keen on showing it than the older adaware 6.0? How does one leave myway then? Letting it expire or is there any active way?

Trew
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2004, 07:09 AM   #12
mister
Essential Contributor

Re: I have a MyWay account and had Alexa ...

Quote:
Originally posted by fmnewbee
without remembering I ever said ok to it.

If one join MyWay do they lowload Alexa without consent, without one notice it?

Or could I have got it via IE then and Adaware SE being more keen on showing it than the older adaware 6.0? How does one leave myway then? Letting it expire or is there any active way?

Trew
From what I read it can get installed with IE.Ad Aware should remove it,if not try Spybot.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2004, 10:28 AM   #13
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

Ad Aware SE Personal is great.

My husband's Win 2K computer still had Ad Aware 6 on it. The last time it was run, nothing was found. After uninstalling AA6 as instructed and installing and running SE, it found Alexa plus one other file.

He doesn't use his computer online much except to read and send e-mail, do job-hunting at a trusted site, and to research companies. So I'm not sure where he picked up Alexa.

Anyway, his computer is clean as of today since I also ran Spybot and AVG.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2004, 03:55 PM   #14
seaweed
= Permanently banned =

From the very start wether win 98 or Xp when i run spy bot Alexa is always the first reg entry recognised so much so i thought if i deleated it my system woud stop working

seaweed shouldi deleat itthen ??
seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2004, 08:09 PM   #15
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

The first time I ran it it showed me over 200 processes and I was shocked, as I usually have just a couple. I think it has increased so much since I have been playing Runescape online!!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote