EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: If your bank(s) offered to SECURELY email you your statements, would you sign up?
Yes, I'd sign up 13 37.14%
No, I prefer to get paper statements. 14 40.00%
No, I prefer to download statements. 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 May 2020, 10:09 PM   #16
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

All of the institutions I use offer electronic statements. They are not sent via email. I am sent an email that the statement is available for me to view and/or download. I have to log in to my account to do that.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 04:06 PM   #17
EricG
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Indeed so.... Bank statements are PRIVATE/PERSONAL info.... That is something I wouldnt want sent online!!!!!! (In any format)
So you don't use online banking then?
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 04:22 PM   #18
EricG
Essential Contributor

42% prefer printed statements! Do you still use typewriters?

I signed up for online banked as soon as it was offered and download statements. I've stopped, but think the last year are still available.

I get alerts on my phone app and email. The email has a DKIM signature but is not encrypted. I suspect many email clients still don't decrypt.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 06:35 AM   #19
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

We get a lot of financial documents, such as pay slips or bills as "digitally signed" pdf files.
I don't trust these to last long, at least not as long as you might need them. I cannot be sure that these files would be readable when I retire, and may be required to prove facts about my income or financial status many years back (a colleague of mine was recently asked to show all the original payslips he got since he started working, to gets some rights transferred). I don't know how long the "digital signatures would be verifiable. Verifying them requires a certificate. These usually have expiration dates, or may be revoked earlier. Most of these digitally signed documents I get use a private certificate issued locally by the signer, so they would not be verifiable without cooperation by the signer, that might not be around when verification is needed, or might not keep those certificate forever, and may require a fee for cooperation. Also anyone can forge a digitally signed document using a locally generated certificate. Manually signed paper documents will be legally acceptable for many years in the future.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 09:53 AM   #20
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG
So you don't use online banking then?
Nope I sure dont my friend
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:31 AM   #21
InquiringMind

No.

I trust encryption.

I do not trust bank staff to use it properly.

Lax banking regulation has made theft and forgery as easy as can be.

An exposed account number in a badly crafted email is a catastrophe waiting to happen.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2020, 12:40 PM   #22
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
We get a lot of financial documents, such as pay slips or bills as "digitally signed" pdf files.
I don't trust these to last long, at least not as long as you might need them. I cannot be sure that these files would be readable when I retire, and may be required to prove facts about my income or financial status many years back (...). I don't know how long the "digital signatures would be verifiable. Verifying them requires a certificate. These usually have expiration dates, or may be revoked earlier. Most of these digitally signed documents I get use a private certificate issued locally by the signer, so they would not be verifiable without cooperation by the signer, that might not be around when verification is needed, or might not keep those certificate forever, and may require a fee for cooperation. [...]
Erroneous. I have some (signed and encrypted) S/MIME emails I sent and received many years ago. It's been many years since the digital signatures expired; they were "valid" for 1 year. BUT, as long as I still have the (expired) digital signatures of the parties, the emails still decrypt and validate properly. I had been both smart enough to keep backups of of my keys and dumb enough to delete one key from inside my mail client. After I was able to re-install the deleted key back into my email client, I could read the relevant mail. In other words, I saw an ancient expired key in my keychain and deleted it, much like you, failing to realize why ancient expired keys can still be useful! Recently, I found possibly large value in a couple such emails sent a decade ago. In fact, there's a (small, to be honest) chance they'll prove valuable in a court case, as strong early evidence of a disability.
(I know, belated reply. )
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2020, 12:51 PM   #23
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
No.

I trust encryption.

I do not trust bank staff to use it properly.

Lax banking regulation has made theft and forgery as easy as can be.

An exposed account number in a badly crafted email is a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Thanks for replying to my poll. Good argument.

While really smart bank staff would (audit and then) use an open source library or reputable commercial one that implements PGP/GPG or S/MIME, dumb ones likely wouldn't. And even if they did, they could still mess up.

Heck - I've personally caught and exposed Chase, TD Ameritrade and Bank of America doing stupid stuff and I even successfully sued one of them ... well somewhat, but the lax banking regulations at fault didn't improve, despite the success.) !
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote