EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 7 Oct 2018, 03:24 PM   #1
antarmukhee

Download only existing emails from gmail

I have a gmail account (under my organization) with ~600 emails. I keep only the essential emails and delete unnecessary ones daily. Now my organization is about to delete my account since I am leaving the organization. So I wanted to download all emails using thunderbird. But the problem I face is that thunderbird downloads all my emails that have been recieved so far including the emails that I have deleted. This comes to thousands of mails which I have no use of. How can I download only the emails that I have currently in my inbox excluding the ones I have deleted?
antarmukhee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Oct 2018, 04:59 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Have you asked your IT department?

If you have a legitimate reason to have the archive, maybe they could assist you.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarmukhee View Post
I have a gmail account (under my organization) with ~600 emails. I keep only the essential emails and delete unnecessary ones daily. Now my organization is about to delete my account since I am leaving the organization. So I wanted to download all emails using thunderbird. But the problem I face is that thunderbird downloads all my emails that have been recieved so far including the emails that I have deleted. This comes to thousands of mails which I have no use of. How can I download only the emails that I have currently in my inbox excluding the ones I have deleted?
Empty your Trash folder.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2018, 10:00 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

An option might be to create a Google archive of your email, which can be downloaded in one or more zip files and then stored wherever you want. Not sure you can do that with a G Suite for business account--probably depends on the admin settings. I would be very careful that you aren't breaking the terms of your employment contract by doing this. Could come back to haunt you later.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2018, 01:29 PM   #5
EricG
Essential Contributor

They have configured retention, I don't how that works in G Suite. I would have archived instead of deleted.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote