EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Feb 2023, 08:22 PM   #1
ppm

Exclamation New BUG - Trash Folder

Suddenly, the headers (All mail / Unread / Pinned / VIPs) no longer appear when in the Trash label / folder.

Same issue occurs on 4 different Fastmail accounts.

Please check and fix.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Feb 2023, 09:23 PM   #2
ppm

Question Could it be a "feature" instead of a bug"

It just came to my mind that this could perhaps be a "feature" and not a "bug", with Fastmail automatically marking emails as "read" when moved to trash, with pinned status (if any) automatically removed as well?
Old 14 Feb 2023, 02:34 AM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppm View Post
Please check and fix.
Fastmail hardly ever read this forum. No-one here is able to fix any of their problems. You need to raise a support ticket with Fastmail, at: https://support.fastmail.com/support/
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2023, 07:42 AM   #4
ppm

I am aware, but...

I am aware, but I seek other users' comments and thoughts about this "issue" which, as I mentioned, might be a "feature" after all.

Thanks anyway, you meant well.
Old 14 Feb 2023, 09:57 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow In:Trash and in:trash produce different results at top

Some research here indicates it’s more complex than it immediately appears. The following is my experience with the DuckDuckGo browser on a large 12.9 inch IPad.
  • Those headers are only visible if you hide the reading pane in Settings. When viewing the Reading Pane there is a single control which opens to make those selections.
  • When the Reading Pane is closed, those controls appear for me in ALL labels, including Trash. So I can’t reproduce your complaint.
  • In all user created folders, there is an additional “In Inbox” choice at the top. This does not appear for system folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, etc.)
  • Selecting the “Trash” icon produces a search at the top for “in:Trash”, which for me shows those top selections. If you instead search for “in:trash” (or any other case choice other than Trash), those choices at the top disappear! This also happens for “in:inbox” or other system folders. For user folders you MUST use the correct mixed case as the folder/label name as shown.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2023, 07:38 PM   #6
ppm

Smile Bug gone

The problem has been fixed, the headers / selections reappeared on top of the trash folder
Old 15 Feb 2023, 01:00 AM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I am aware, but I seek other users' comments and thoughts about this "issue" which, as I mentioned, might be a "feature" after all.
If I were asking for others' experiences, I might well ask them to "check" what they see to find out if it affects everyone, but I wouldn't suggest the "and fix" part. How could anyone else here fix the issue?

Quote:
Thanks anyway, you meant well.
I didn't "mean well".
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2023, 03:27 PM   #8
truemagic

While we're at it (Trash folder), I always wish there is a quick "Empty folder" somewhere
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2023, 10:38 PM   #9
ppm

Empty Folder?

I use a rule so that mails older than 1 month are automatically deleted from the trash, so it's all auto-magic
Old 16 Feb 2023, 03:38 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The rules system (based on sieve rules) only acts on new incoming messages.

But you can set the advanced settings for a folder (including Trash) to auto-delete unpinned messages after some interval (1/2/3/7/14/31/60/120/365 days). if a message is pinned it won’t automatically delete, so you will need to manually delete it or remove the pin.

If you select the checkbox at the top of the checkbox column at the left of the message list, this will select all messages in that folder. You can then use the Delete Permanently button to empty the Trash folder/label. But that’s a bit dangerous, since you might have opened the wrong folder or you might discover that a message was recently moved to Trash by accident. So I like the auto-delete feature better, since with a reasonably long setting (such as 31 days) you have plenty of time to correct mistakes in classifying messages as Trash. The same is true for the Spam folder — it’s best to not delete all such messages too quickly.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote