EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Apr 2022, 06:18 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Fastmail - Lack of telephone support

Over on Twitter, someone asked Fastmail about telephone support - their answer was:

Quote:
we provide support via email and our online form only. This allows us to provide higher quality, more informed responses, and to provide those responses for more hours of the day.
Do I deduce from that statement, that providing telephone support would be inferior to online support?

I wonder what businesses, that rely on Fastmail, would think about that.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Apr 2022, 08:26 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I suppose phone support would be hard as they have a world wide customer base all on different time zones.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2022, 08:41 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

I've seen some of the help wanted ads placed by Fastmail for customer service positions in their Philadelphia office. They don't pay what I would consider a competitive salary for the position, particularly located in a major urban area with a higher cost of living. The ad seems to imply that you will be working mainly via email, but with some phone work. https://www.fastmail.com/about/jobs/2022-us-support/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2022, 11:12 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The inability to contact a real human in the event of a crisis (for any amount of money) is the only reason why I now will not recommend Fastmail to customers who would suffer serious damage from extended email unavailability. In the past, I have suggested that there should be a telephone hotline which cost $500 per incident to use. Fastmail, at its sole discretion, could choose to refund this fee if the issue was a result of their own negligence, but it would provide a (costly) way to get immediate support in an emergency. You must currently hope that a support person sees your email reasonably soon, and decides to deal with it as a high priority issue. If not, you could be looking at a multiple day outage with absolutely nothing you can do about it.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2022, 12:25 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I've seen some of the help wanted ads placed by Fastmail for customer service positions in their Philadelphia office. They don't pay what I would consider a competitive salary for the position, particularly located in a major urban area with a higher cost of living. support/
They offer $40k to $44k /year. For comparison:
Full-time working women in 2019 had real median earnings of $47,299
Full-time working men in 2019 had real median earnings of $57,456
The average annual wage in 2019 in the US was $51,916.27.

Draw your own conclusions
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2022, 07:03 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Phone support is not as important as get-back-promptly support...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote