EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 17 Apr 2021, 05:56 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Cloud File Storage

Has anyone done a comparison of Fastmail and Runbox file storage, against the likes of Dropbox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive in terms of security?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Apr 2021, 06:48 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

How do you compare security of filestores? Could you give us some criteria/benchmarks/whatever?
janusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2021, 08:51 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

I have not seen such a comparison, but I would imagine the proof is in the fact that Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive are very widely used in business up to enterprise scale all over the world. You not only have Google or Microsoft's security teams working on the problem but also enterprise security teams everywhere. I doubt Fastmail or Runbox can compare security wise, but on the other hand I imagine their file security is plenty for the average person or small business that doesn't face unusual security threats. By the way, I would argue that for most people and businesses the security of cloud storage beats anything you can do locally, especially with regard to the big security threats of fire, flood, storms, theft, and vandalism.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2021, 08:21 AM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

FastMail's files is the only one I can use at work in Windows explorer.
Dropbox and Google Drive applications (synchronizing with the file system) are blocked by the corporate firewall.Dropbox and Drive are accessible through a browser. I haven't tried OneDrive and I am not a runbox user. Fastmail files can be defined as a Network Location in Windows explorer, using Webdav or FTP, and I guess the reason it works is that Webdav works over http, so to the firewall it looks like ordinary web traffic. It is as safe as accessing mail using a mail client (requires an app password set up for Webdav access).
But then most of the time I use Dropbox in Firefox at work and the dropbox application at home.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2022, 01:49 AM   #5
Josef Merpil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Has anyone done a comparison of Fastmail and Runbox file storage, against the likes of Dropbox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive in terms of security?
for me, the most secure is private encrypted mail and https://beeble.com/en cloud storage, all letters and files that I send are encrypted
Josef Merpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2022, 02:46 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

From the beeble's FAQ:
Quote:
in Beeble, all processes related to encryption take place on your device
So, basically you do the encryption yourself first, and then you send the email or file to Beeble. The same trick will work equally well with any email/cloud provider.
Old 10 Mar 2022, 08:48 AM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I use various 'programs' for file (and email) encryption, such as GnuPG and CipherShed. Using Fastmail's file storage features, as well as the email itself, is about as cloudy as I like to be. As far as security, that's just a way too general thing for me to be able to say anything about anything.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2022, 06:34 PM   #8
Josef Merpil

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
From the beeble's FAQ:

So, basically you do the encryption yourself first, and then you send the email or file to Beeble. The same trick will work equally well with any email/cloud provider.
Actually no, the beeble does this trick instead of me, but if you communicate with users of traditional e-mail (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.), by default, letters are sent in unencrypted form. This is done to maintain compatibility. At the same time, all letters in the Beeble account are stored in encrypted form and are securely protected. But you can send an encrypted message to a user of another service. To do this, when writing a letter, you must protect it with a password. In this case, the recipient will receive a notification that the encrypted message has been received and a link to view it. By opening the link and entering the password, your correspondent will be able to read the letter and even reply to it. At the same time, all correspondence remains protected. Even if this method is taken into account it is much

Last edited by Josef Merpil : 11 Mar 2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11 Mar 2022, 06:50 PM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Merpil View Post
self-encryption fraud.
A novel concept... Could you elaborate?
Old 15 Mar 2022, 06:48 PM   #10
Josef Merpil

Quote:
I meant if you encode the letter yourself
Old 15 Mar 2022, 09:39 PM   #11
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Merpil View Post
I meant if you encode the letter yourself
Could you elaborate some more?

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2022, 05:25 PM   #12
Josef Merpil

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Could you elaborate some more?

- Bruce
janusz wrote about self-encrypting mail, and I say that this does not apply to beeble mail