EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 22 Jul 2014, 02:49 PM   #1
seboyle900

Locating search found email in inbox

I made a search which found the email I was looking for and allowed me to open it. However when I looked for it in my inbox on the date it was received (plus or minus 1 week) I couldn't locate it. Finally I starred and marked as important the search found email and bingo, it was listed in my inbox on the appointed date. Can anyone tell me why?
seboyle900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jul 2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seboyle900 View Post
I made a search which found the email I was looking for and allowed me to open it. However when I looked for it in my inbox on the date it was received (plus or minus 1 week) I couldn't locate it. Finally I starred and marked as important the search found email and bingo, it was listed in my inbox on the appointed date. Can anyone tell me why?
Welcome to the Forum, seboyle900.

Before anyone here can offer any intelligent assistance, you have to furnish basic information about your set up:

Are you using webmail, if so, who is the provider and which web browser are you using?

Are you using IMAP, if so, (again) who is the provider and which E-Mail client?

If none of the above, how do you access your mail?

The more information you provide, the more likely that someone can help you.

Good luck.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2014, 09:34 AM   #3
seboyle900

Locating email

Hi Jacinto, thanks for the response. My email provider is Gmail and my browser is Firefox. I have never heard of IMAP so if you could tell me how I can find out whether I'm using it, I can then let you know whether I am.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 08:20 PM   #4
CyberSmurf

moderator: thread moved to GMail forum
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2014, 12:37 PM   #5
seboyle900

Locating email

My inquiry has been moved to Gmaill forum but as yet there is now further response; might that mean that there is no fathomable explanation for this strange state of affairs? Anyway, it may help if I add that as well as Inbox I looked through spam and trash for the relevant dates but again found nothing. Nonetheless, whenever I do a search with the relevant keyword, up pops the email.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Gmail uses labels. The message in question probably did not have the inbox label and was therefore in "all mail". Did you look in all mail by date?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2014, 12:02 AM   #7
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Gmail uses labels. The message in question probably did not have the inbox label and was therefore in "all mail". Did you look in all mail by date?
This could be a good reason that you don't see the e-mail. Also, note that GMail orders by conversation, that is, something gets the date of the last e-mail in a conversation. So, if the e-mail is in the inbox, browse for the data of the most recent message in the conversation containing the message that you were looking for.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2014, 04:35 PM   #8
seboyle900

Becoming Clearer

Many thanks William 9 and danielDK

I checked my email search under 'all mail' and I did indeed find the by now 2 messages. But although both of them were listed as having arrived in my inbox; neither of them did. The most recent was supposed to have landed there at 4.34pm (Australian Eastern Standard time) today and it's now 5.30pm and there's no trace of it. So, I simply wouldn't have seen either of these emails, in any incoming box, unless I had done an 'all mail' search for them.

Just to give you a bit of context, both of these emails were electricity bills, with a fairly substantial discount attached for payment before the due date. But since neither of them appeared in my inbox, I wouldn't have been aware of them unless I had done an 'all mail' search, as you suggested. With the first bill, I only paid the discounted price and then phoned the company and said I always paid on time and wasn't going to give them any more than that because their bill simply hadn't turned up. After a bit of umming and ahhing they said OK and that was that. Fortunately, this time, I've found their latest bill well before the due date and will pay the discounted price now. Strangely, though, although the original bills don't make it to my inbox, the reminders, with the demand for the full, non-discounted payment always do.

So, the final question you might be able to help me with is this; can an email sender by pass a recipient's inbox and insure it can only be found in an 'all mail' search?
Old 8 Aug 2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seboyle900 View Post
So, the final question you might be able to help me with is this; can an email sender by pass a recipient's inbox and insure it can only be found in an 'all mail' search?
No, not the sender.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2014, 08:50 PM   #10
seboyle900

so what could explain it?

Thanks Berenberger, so perhaps my electricity company isn't involved in some cunning scheme to systematically take its unsuspecting customers to the cleaners but why, then, do all my other bills happily lodge in my inbox, while theirs don't?
Old 8 Aug 2014, 09:11 PM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

If you're 100 per cent sure you've not created a filter for these e-mails in the past, it may be an idea to create a filter now to mark them as important, etc.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2014, 11:23 PM   #12
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with FredOnline. Look very carefully at your filters for this sender. There is an option in Gmail filters (on the second page) to skip your inbox.
Old 10 Aug 2014, 05:22 PM   #13
seboyle900

Filters

Thanks again Fred and William. I checked filters and had none and none on at all. I now use a different electricity company so I don't need to filter the old one in but I had a look at 'create filter' and couldn't see how you might select to filter messages in rather in than filtering them out. I did, however, see the facility for obtaining a pop up notification for important mail and this could be useful if I ever find myself in this situation again. Let me thank you once more for you interest and assistance - it's been a big help.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 12:25 AM   #14
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It's filter actions such as 'apply labels' and/or 'always mark as important' that will help you notice important messages.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 10:07 AM   #15
THIGV

Can someone explain to me the difference between Inbox and [Gmail]/Inbox? I have been having a lot of problems lately with Gmail dumping legitimate mail into my Trash folder so I have tried filters and labeling but Inbox is not a provided label. My Inbox contains most but not all of the mail in {Gmail]/Inbox.

Thanks
THIGV is offline   Reply With Quote