EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 24 Sep 2023, 07:55 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Basic HTML view going away

Not until 2024. https://www.ghacks.net/2023/09/24/go...in-early-2024/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Sep 2023, 04:22 AM   #2
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I cannot say that I understand that/this. I open any email; any link to a webpage, I could click on if active link, or copy and paste and put into browser address bar. I make no kinds of selections or options about any html. I think I saw some "basic mode" somewhere, but when tried it, the display seemed dull in some way.
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2023, 08:53 AM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

How stupid and uncalled for... BASIC HTML VIEW works in ANY BROWSER and is easy to use!!

I dont use thier email anymore...... I have a google voice # but I dont use the email......

I wonder if one could just save the CSS FILE locally for BASIC HTML VIEW and then simply apply it to keep getting the same layout?
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2023, 09:20 AM   #4
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I've never really used it. Just opened Gmail via my browser, no link to Basic HTML any more. Don't see this as an issue. I have one account that I check using Claws Mail. I rarely use the browser interface.

To use Claws Mail with Gmail I had to turn on 2FA in order to create and use an App Password for Claws Mail. This now means anytime I login to Google I need to have my cell phone ready to acknowledge the "Are you trying to sign in?" prompt that is sent to my phone (via internet, not SMS). As long as I keep my browser open I can log out, log in without 2FA. It's annoying but if I want to use Claws Mail, I have to deal with it. I use Firefox. When I am done with the browser, I close it, all history is cleared. The phone on the other hand is always connected.

Supported browsers
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6557
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2023, 09:54 PM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
To use Claws Mail with Gmail I had to turn on 2FA in order to create and use an App Password for Claws Mail...
I think that was your choice. As far as I can tell from the discussions on the Claws users mail list, if you instead use OAuth2 (which seems to be a palaver to set up in the first place) then those problems go away.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2023, 07:40 PM   #6
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I think that was your choice. As far as I can tell from the discussions on the Claws users mail list, if you instead use OAuth2 (which seems to be a palaver to set up in the first place) then those problems go away.
Of course it was my choice. A choice between Gmail's hit and miss OAuth2 implementation and constant tweaking to keep it working in Claws Mail or go with Gmail's 2FA App Password that works every time. Using Claws Mail with the App Password does not trigger 2FA. The 2FA is only triggered when I log in to my Google Account (for example YouTube) from my browser on this computer.
Old 27 Sep 2023, 04:20 AM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

My Question is WHY TAKE IT AWAY??

Its not hurting them and some people like the more basic interface!!!!!
Old 27 Sep 2023, 11:21 AM   #8
chrisretusn

The reasons are listed here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/15049

I just tried the Basic HTML link. (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/) I had to first sign in to my account, which takes you to a normal Gmail log in. As you sign in there is a Basic HTML link that shows for about 1 second in the lower right. Once signed in I tried the link again. I got this:
Quote:
Do you really want to use HTML Gmail?

You’re about to use a version of Gmail designed for slower connections and legacy browsers. To get all of Gmail’s features, including inbox categories, images, and quick actions, please use the latest version of Gmail (recommended).
Look simple. Nice. That said, you have to be logged in first and then switch to the Basic HTML from Standard using that link. I'm good with Standard.
Old 28 Sep 2023, 03:59 AM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thanx for posting the direct link for basic
Old 28 Sep 2023, 10:05 PM   #10
chrisretusn

You are welcome!
Old 5 Nov 2023, 07:45 AM   #11
MagnumOpus

From Claws Mail FAQ:

Quote:
Using Claws Mail with Gmail

Gmail account setup

In your Gmail settings, turn on "Enable less secure app access". (Gmail's "enable less secure app access" is a euphemism for "apps that don't support OAUTH2", it does not mean programs such as Claws Mail, are less secure.)
Unfortunately, this doesn't work anymore; Google has disabled it, at least on the free accounts.

As a workaround, I'm using the mobile interface on desktop:

http://m.gmail.com

It's not as good as the basic HTML interface, but less cluttered than the standard one.

Last edited by MagnumOpus : 5 Nov 2023 at 12:02 PM.
MagnumOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2023, 10:59 PM   #12
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOpus View Post

Unfortunately, this doesn't work anymore; Google has disabled it, at least on the free accounts.
Do you mean they have disabled app passwords?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2023, 06:52 AM   #13
MagnumOpus

As of May 30, 2022, Google removed the "Enable less secure app access" option in GMail settings.

When Claws Mail updated the FAQ page linked in my previous post five months later, they didn't include that change.
Old 7 Nov 2023, 07:46 AM   #14
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I don't recall the meaning of that setting. Does it mean that they have dropped support for app passwords completely?
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2023, 08:06 AM   #15
MagnumOpus

I don't know; I just gave up.

Thunderbird might be a better choice for this.

Last edited by MagnumOpus : 8 Nov 2023 at 09:26 AM.