EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Jul 2016, 09:52 PM   #1
exactus

Home-made security

Is this a good security idea or is there a flaw in my logic:
I want to be able to access my email on my smart phone,
but don't want to risk 11 years of email spread over multiple folders
falling into the wrong hands if I lose my phone or leave it on the train...

So, I purchased a $20 a year FM subscription with a gig of storage.
(even a $10 lite account will do the trick).

I then created some rules on my main FM account choosing which emails are
forwarded to myname-mobile@fastmail.com (i.e. my FM mobile app).

Result: I get to read email from my main account with the assurance that my
main Fastmail account can't be compromised.

It's not rocket science, but it works really well...

Last edited by exactus : 21 Jul 2016 at 05:31 AM.
exactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jul 2016, 11:04 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactus View Post
with the assurance that my main Fastmail account can't be compromised.
It still can, e.g. by a weak or stolen password
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2016, 01:38 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Your idea is a reasonable low-tech solution, but it should be unnecessary if your phone has good security.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2016, 12:49 PM   #4
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

I've been doing exactly that for a couple of years.

The main account has 10 years of email history. I never log into it from untrusted computers. My smartphone counts as untrusted because of the ridiculous amount of permissions that every app seems to want these days, not to mention the risk of theft. (It's also an older model without a dedicated chip for encryption.)

Some email gets forwarded to the "proxy" account. I read it on my phone, reply if I need to, and delete both the original and the reply immediately. The main account is automatically copied on any email I send from the phone, so I get to keep all my records regardless of what happens to the phone.

If someone steals and unlocks my phone, they'll see at most a couple of recent emails, nothing more.

The phone doesn't even have the account password, only an alternative login that can be invalidated at a moment's notice.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2016, 07:43 PM   #5
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
I've been doing exactly that for a couple of years.

The main account has 10 years of email history. I never log into it from untrusted computers. My smartphone counts as untrusted because of the ridiculous amount of permissions that every app seems to want these days, not to mention the risk of theft. (It's also an older model without a dedicated chip for encryption.)

Some email gets forwarded to the "proxy" account. I read it on my phone, reply if I need to, and delete both the original and the reply immediately. The main account is automatically copied on any email I send from the phone, so I get to keep all my records regardless of what happens to the phone.

If someone steals and unlocks my phone, they'll see at most a couple of recent emails, nothing more.

The phone doesn't even have the account password, only an alternative login that can be invalidated at a moment's notice.
I use an alternative login for all my clients and webmail (so I basically never use my master password unless updating a setting etc).

Because of this, I am happy to have my (only) main email account on my phone as I can revoke access immediately if lost. I think the 2FA (that Fastmail will implement next week) effectively does the same thing (by requiring unique passwords for each client).
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2016, 09:17 AM   #6
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
I use an alternative login for all my clients and webmail (so I basically never use my master password unless updating a setting etc).

Because of this, I am happy to have my (only) main email account on my phone as I can revoke access immediately if lost. I think the 2FA (that Fastmail will implement next week) effectively does the same thing (by requiring unique passwords for each client).
I use alternative logins in addition to the proxy account. I think the two techniques are complementary, not meant to replace each other's role. Most mail clients cache things aggressively, so even if you invalidated the login, a lot of old data could still be exposed to the thief.

As for 2FA, I would trust it more if the second factor were something other than an app on the very same phone. Yubikey would be fine.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote