EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 2 Jan 2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Sterox

Email without https: risk?

Hi,

i have an old mail address, that is offered free from a provider.

I see that after the login (that us SSL) the webmail is not using https, there are some risk for my email or for privacy?
Sterox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jan 2016, 09:15 PM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Yes, there is risk. SSL on the login page only protects your password. It doesn't protect anything that is subsequently transmitted in the clear, such as the entire contents of your mailbox.

If you ever log into your webmail over free Wi-Fi, everyone in your vicinity will be able to read your mailbox. They might even be able to impersonate you and mess with your mailbox, such as deleting messages and sending spam.

Even if you only use a wired connection, telecom employees and government agencies can easily do the same if they want to. It's like putting all your messages on the back of a postcard. Postmen aren't supposed to read them, but there is no guarantee that they won't.

Realistically, the chance of any of the above happening to you in particular and impacting your life is fairly low. So it's up to you to decide whether the risk is worth the benefit of keeping your old email address.

You can minimize the Wi-Fi risk by never checking your old email over public Wi-Fi, forwarding your old email to a more secure email service and checking it there (if the old provider supports forwarding), or fetching your old email via POP3 from a more secure service (if the old provider supports POP3). This won't protect you from a three-letter agency if you're on some sort of watchlist, but at least you'll be safe from casual eavesdroppers.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2016, 09:17 PM   #3
Sterox

Ok, it's better don't use it, i think that provider must consider more SSL
Old 3 Jan 2016, 05:41 PM   #4
chrisretusn

Regardless of SSL or not, email is still a lot like a post card. That post card is enclosed in an envelope with SSL between you and your provider. It might be protected while stored on their server, it might not. Depends on the service. While a lot of emails these days do transit the Internet highway in the SSL envelope, there is no guarantee that an email will be always be protected from sender to receiver by SSL. You should always consider email as unsecured.

The only sure way of getting an email from sender to receiver securely is by using encryption. You encrypt before sending, your receiver of course will need to able to decrypt it after receiving it.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 4 Jan 2016 at 08:03 AM.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2016, 06:01 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
If you ever log into your webmail over free Wi-Fi
Nothing to do with free (as opposed to "paid") WiFi. What matters is whether the WiFi connection itself is encrypted. There are free WiFi hostpots which nevertheless require a password to gain access, for example in some hotels/restaurants/bars. In this case using SSL-less connection should be safe, but of course it's always better to use SSL if you have a choice.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2016, 01:06 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
There are free WiFi hostpots which nevertheless require a password to gain access, for example in some hotels/restaurants/bars. In this case using SSL-less connection should be safe,
But everyone (in the hotel) uses the same password - that being the case, are you not are still at risk....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2016, 02:50 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I agree with David. The password which is used to limit use of the WiFi hotspot only limits Internet access, and has no effect on WiFi packet sniffing. Anyone with simple widely available equipment can read the contents of unencrypted (http) packets (including login name and password you use for the email service) from any location where they can receive the WiFi RF signal transmitted from your device, and of course they can also see what the server is sending to you. The person who is snooping has no need for the hotel/restaurant login given to customers.

If you use an unencrypted connection for website access or email client access (IMAP, SMTP, POP), anyone who happens to intercept the packets can read them. The interception could be at any point between your device and the server to which you are connected. WiFi RF packet monitoring just allows the snooper to read your communications without getting physical access to the wired network.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2016, 04:43 PM   #8
ezkop

Or you could use a VPN. That will encrypt any traffic going through, so you don't need to worry about https or not.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2016, 12:46 PM   #9
mananee

The person who is snooping has no need for the hotel/restaurant login given to customers.
royal1688 คาสิโนออนไลน์
mananee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2016, 07:12 AM   #10
Sterox

In conclusion a webmail that don't use encryption SSL during the surf on the page is on an high risk of violation?

I have an old email that is on an Italian provider, LIBERO.IT (some one know it?) that actually don't support encrypted webmail during surf or use of the mail.

P.S: but it use SSL on IMAP
Old 9 Jan 2016, 01:37 PM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Speaking only for myself, my philosophy, is that anything I do deem to be possibly dicey, I do always avoid.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Sterox

Right, i will avoid this email service
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:37 PM   #13
kijinbear

If you really need to check that email, you could do so with IMAP+SSL or POP3+SSL instead of webmail.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote