EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 15 May 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
benjie

Outlook Express IMAP setup

Is the log in Username and Password sent in clear text when logging on to Gmail from Outlook Express? I'm asking because during the setup you have to leave "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" unchecked.
benjie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 May 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
CyberSmurf

I'm not an expert, but I think that since you are using an SSL connection, your username and the password are encrypted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
ReuvenNY

Thunderbird, a competing email client from Mozilla, does it automatically for you. Just indicate you are creating a Gmail account.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2009, 12:22 AM   #4
benjie

On the email client side the SSL is set up only for sending and receiving emails. It doesn't seem to have any encryption for Logging on.
benjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2009, 12:27 AM   #5
CyberSmurf

Are you sure about that?

As far as I know, SSL encrypts all transmissions. That includes usernames and passwords. I've searched and can't find anything to the contrary.
Quote:
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) refers to the standard method for encryption and authentication on the Internet. [provider name] supports encrypted password connections for email clients. This added security provides you with protection against having your password stolen on an insecure connection.
Quote:
Currently when checking email your computer sends your username and password in clear text, which means that a person could intercept your password and use it for nefarious purposes. The first step to eliminate this security issue occurred several years ago, when Information Services enabled a feature (SSL) that encrypts your password. (Technically, it encrypts the entire POP or IMAP session.)
As far as I know, SPA (NTLM) is just another protocol. Leaving it unchecked does not inhibit password encryption in SSL.
Quote:
Microsoft's Exchange server provides an NTLM authentication mechanism for the POP3 protocol. This is a proprietary extension used with the POP3 AUTH command as documented in RFC 1734. On the client side, this mechanism is supported by Outlook and Outlook Express, and is called "Secure Password Authentication".
Old 17 May 2009, 12:43 AM   #6
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Quote:
Microsoft's Exchange server provides ... a proprietary extension ... supported by Outlook and Outlook Express, ... called "Secure Password Authentication".
"proprietary". I guess that's why the option doesn't appear in my other e-mail clients.
Old 17 May 2009, 01:48 AM   #7
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Thunderbird supports GSSAPI, Kerberos, CRAM_MD5, DIGEST-MD5, NTLM, and APOP. NTLM is also called Secure Password Authentication (SPA) or Windows Integrated Login.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_POP3
Old 30 May 2009, 03:17 AM   #8
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
SSL is always encrypted. TLS starts unencrypted.

A hashed form of your username/password is used when authenticating over TLS.

-Raymond
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote