EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Mar 2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Epoch

Since they moved to .com I get regular fishing attempts

You have been reported and account closure is imminent!!!
The Fastmail Team <globsecurities@fastmail.fm>
Dear user,

According to our recent check-up you have failed to update your account inline with our 2016 Fastmail Global security compliance. This is the final chance for you to carry out this process and please failure to comply may lead to permanent closure of your email account. Click here to proceed.[nasty link to fake login I presume]

Thank you
The Support Team

Differentiations follow:

Sender: THE F@STMAIL TEAM <stivon@northwestel.net>
Title: The last and final warning for fou!
You have failed to update your account inline with our 2016 security compliance. This is the final chance for you to carry out this process and please failure to comply may lead to permanent closure of your fastmail email account.

Sender: Account Support <> [very cryptic?]
Title: Attention: Your account status change
We received a message from you requesting for your account termination, please ignore this message if the request was from you. Your account would be deleted from our system in the next 24hrs.

(Note: All mails in your inbox, spam, draft, and sent items would be deleted, and access to your account would be denied.)

cancel request if the message wasn't from you, and follow the prompt
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Mar 2016, 06:04 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

This only proves .com domains are very popular (in every respect).

There was a strong demand from FM users to have fastmail.com addresses. Now they have, together with associated issues.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2016, 09:18 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
There was a strong demand from FM users to have fastmail.com addresses. Now they have, together with associated issues.
I recall getting out of bed in the middle of the night to make sure I got my chosen fastmail.com address . . .

. . . which was almost immediately followed by SPAM.

So much so I have had to whitelist this e-mail address to address book contacts only.

FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Random832

The annoying thing is that the spam filter never seems to get them. About 2/3 of the spam I have to delete by hand is of this type (typically with a spam score of around 4.5)
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2016, 04:06 AM   #5
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
The annoying thing is that the spam filter never seems to get them. About 2/3 of the spam I have to delete by hand is of this type (typically with a spam score of around 4.5)
I tend to get fringe cases like this too, right around 4.4, and they really bug me... so I created a rule that captures those borderline emails that don't hit the normal spam threshold of 5.0 (at least until you get the training done on those).

Basically, I've set up a folder called "Possible Spam" and created a rule that says "The spam score is at least 4.4 - Move the message to Possible Spam"

And it catches the fringe cases pretty well, with the occasional false positive. The false positives are usually unimportant marketing things, and I just move those into my inbox if I want to keep them. The actual spam that gets classified as 4.4 - 4.9, I then train as spam, and eventually the spam filter will classify them above 5.0 with enough time.

I know this isn't a solution, but it helps me, and it doesn't require me to actually change any spam settings (i.e. to aggressive, etc.) and it catches most of those fringe cases pretty well.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2016, 04:39 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
Do you delete them or use the Report Spam button? If the former, do not be surprised that Fastmail is not learning the characteristics of spam you receive.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2016, 10:25 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have recently seen a lot of spam (sent to various domains, including non-FastMail domains) sent with my address in both the From and To fields. FastMail could stop most of this by publishing a strict DMARC policy (as Yahoo has just done for all of their domains) and adhering to DMARC published policy when receiving mail. But this would aggravate some who send messages from FastMail domains using non-FastMail SMTP servers, and many non-spam incoming messages would probably be blocked. I think that eventually DMARC and later enhancements will be required to reduce this spoofing email.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Epoch

Yes, I mark them as spam

I'm not sure if Fastmail team actually sees these fishing attempts - the spam filter is automated I'm sure, unless they have an algorithm check that alerts them to Fastmail impersonations.

Got a new one just today:

Sender: The Fastmail Team <bandbj@fastmail.com>
Title: You May Lose Your MailBox
Dear user,

According to our recent check-up you have failed to update your account inline with our 2016 Fastmail Global security compliance. This is the final chance for you to carry out this process and please failure to comply may lead to permanent closure of your email account. Click here to proceed.

Thank you
The Support Team
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2016, 09:31 AM   #9
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
I'm not sure if Fastmail team actually sees these fishing attempts - the spam filter is automated I'm sure, unless they have an algorithm check that alerts them to Fastmail impersonations.
We're well aware of them, and we're working on it. Unfortunately it's a hard problem.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote