EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Apr 2014, 01:35 PM   #1
IanO

DKIM and Yahoo

I just received this partial message after sending email to Yahoo account (one of them my own):

"554_Message_not_allowed_-_[PH01]_Email_not_accepted_for_policy_reasons.__Please_visit_http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-27.html_[120]"

Seems to be DKIM related. I am using my own domain and the web client. Did something change recently?
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Apr 2014, 02:57 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow DKIM signing outgoing email with From address domain

To my knowledge, nothing has changed and it still should work fine. The critical points are the From address you sent from, the sending server, and your domain DNS published DKIM records.

From Yahoo help:
Quote:
We only reject emails for failing DomainKeys or DKIM authentication when both of these conditions apply:
  1. The signing domain has given us explicit indication that all emails from the domain must be signed and authenticated with DomainKeys and/or DKIM to prevent forgery.
    - The signing domain is identified in the "d=" tag of the DomainKeys/DKIM signature.
  2. The rejected email couldn't be authenticated against the sending domain's policy (e.g., due to a missing or bad signature).
Item #1 is under your control (if the sending domain is yours), and item #2 should be automatic when sending through mail.messagingengine.com.
  • If your domain DNS is hosted at Fastmail and you have not modified your DNS records published (at the Custom DNS screen), then a DKIM record will be published for your domain and Fastmail will add DKIM signing for your domain if you send using mail.messagingengine.com.
  • If your domain DNS is hosted external to Fastmail, then you need to follow the directions here:
    DKIM signing outgoing email with From address domain
Fastmail adds two DKIM signatures: One DKIM signature for the sending server domain messagingengine.com, and another DKIM signature for the From domain (if it is a Fastmail domain or your domain as described in the earlier link).

I just sent two test messages from Fastmail to Yahoo. One was from a Fastmail domain, and the other was from my own virtual domain. Both arrived at Yahoo with DKIM passing.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2014, 03:04 AM   #3
IanO

Thanks for the explanation. I fixed it by putting in the DKIM keys at my DNS nameservers.

What's strange is this had not been happening previously indicating that something has changed at Yahoo recently.
Old 5 Apr 2014, 03:33 AM   #4
IanO

OK looks like this is more complicated than I thought.

I can send to my own yahoo address (I could not do that yesterday) now that I have fixed the DKIM keys.

However, I am still getting the issue with another address that I posted this partial reply for:
""554_Message_not_allowed_-_[PH01]_Email_not_accepted_for_policy_reasons.__Please_visit_http://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-27.html_[120]"

Even though the returned mail message refers to Yahoo, the actual address is an att.net one. Any ideas?
Old 5 Apr 2014, 03:49 AM   #5
IanO

More research.

Looks like my original problem was not DKIM, but because of phishing (see the code PH01 in the return reply), which is interesting because the phishing link in the email I sent was in reply to an email I received from Yahoo/att.net! (Or maybe not, I have a feeling my friend's email address book has been hacked).

Last edited by IanO : 5 Apr 2014 at 03:55 AM.