EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:07 AM   #1
spamprivateeye

Is your Yahoo account overrun with Spam?

I have had my account since 1998.
I'm getting at least 500+ spams a day, many are going to my inbox, it's unbelievable!
Anyone else having this problem?
spamprivateeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:20 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I don't have this problem.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:40 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

I no longer have a Yahoo email account. I dumped it years ago, because it was so bad.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Zach

Since you've had it since 1998, it may well be that you're on an email list by now. I had the same problem with my AOL account that was set up in the early '00s - I kept getting endless spam because I'd given it out to so many people and companies (who probably sold it to the people who make money from compiling lists of emails for marketing purposes). I don't think it's necessarily Yahoo's fault. The best thing to do is set up a new account and just give that out to friends, family and others that you want to be contacted by, whilst keeping your current one for online shopping and signing up to websites.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:46 AM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I too have had a Yahoo account for many years. I get about 10 to 30 spam messages per day. About 90% are correctly filtered to the spam folder, with the remainder getting into my inbox. I keep the account just to observe what's happening with Yahoo!
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:52 AM   #6
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

I've had a Yahoo account since forever and it gets a ton of spam too. I no longer use it though.
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

I'm glad to hear yahoo users have a spam problem. Yahoo supports CISPA and CISA (unwarranted information sharing), and Yahoo also turned in a pro-democracy mailing list owner to China (without warrant), leading to his incarceration. Yahoo should not be used by anyone who has an appreciation for civil rights.
zimmermanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 05:09 PM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmermanfan View Post
I'm glad to hear yahoo users have a spam problem..
Schadenfreude
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 06:22 PM   #9
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm not have this problem. I have three Yahoo! Mail accounts.

My oldest account gets very little spam. The last spam was on March 9, 2016. My clients spam folder shows a total of 317 messages since September 23, 2007 (when I started collecting spam.) Account goes back to around 2003.

My next oldest (2008) get zero spam.

The third account in an organizational account for a club I am the president of. I took the account over in 2011. This account gets the most spam of my three accounts; but not a lot. Yahoo's spam filter catches most of them. Since the first of the year it has received 34 spam messages.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:35 PM   #10
zimmermanfan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Indeed, my point exactly. Yahoo users are all too happy to support Shi Tao's misfortunes and suffering for selfish gain. Those who are now aware have a duty to avoid Schadenfreude, and thus Yahoo.

Yahoo supporters deserve all the spam they get. Which is hopefully enough to drive them off the service.

Last edited by zimmermanfan : 20 Mar 2016 at 07:44 PM.
zimmermanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 11:20 PM   #11
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmermanfan View Post
Indeed, my point exactly. Yahoo users are all too happy to support Shi Tao's misfortunes and suffering for selfish gain. Those who are now aware have a duty to avoid Schadenfreude, and thus Yahoo.

Yahoo supporters deserve all the spam they get. Which is hopefully enough to drive them off the service.
Wow, I didn't know of Shi Tao's case. Enough of a reason for me never to use Yahoo.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2016, 05:22 PM   #12
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Interesting information.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2016, 02:29 AM   #13
unlocktheinbox

I have an yahoo account, that I hardly use, but I monitor it on my phone. I never see any spam in my inbox.
unlocktheinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2016, 04:33 PM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

I had a Yahoo account that was still receiving mail (six months after being closed) the reason being that the mail was being forwarded to a different account.

Yahoo are a pretty swift company methinks

I just checked it (one last time) - the messages to it have finally ceased.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlocktheinbox View Post
I have an yahoo account, that I hardly use, but I monitor it on my phone. I never see any spam in my inbox.

Likewise here...I have 2 Yahoo accounts and I get way less spam on them as on my Gmail account (!)......even though I stopped using that Gmail over a year ago. True 99,9% of the spam ends up in my spam box,so I have no complaints.

I am very satisfied with the services of Yahoo. And what they do or don't do in China is of no concern to me...I think the other large providers (Google,Microsoft,AOL etc) also do their thing in China...so why condem Yahoo?

I do not understand why anyone would be pleased with the fact that Yahoo users need to get lots of spam..?? Makes no sense for me.

D
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote