EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Nov 2010, 05:38 AM   #1
DJF

Calendar Integration

I've been with FastMail since day 1 and I know this topic has come up many times since then and there has been much discussion on this as a requested feature, but now that FM is offering Business services ("File Vault") accounts, it really seems like it's now become a very necessary included part of the offering.

I have a business account for my company and I love everything about it - EXCEPT, not having an integrated calendaring is a huge PITA, and becoming ever more troublesome it seems as the more I use the business account.

I've actually considered switching to Google Apps and even Paying them for it's use if I even needed to to get this integration. I know it's free, but I would pay if I needed to for my use.

Now I'm going back and forth between Google Calendar and my FM business account...

There are a lot of companies doing business collaboration solutions now besides Google, I'm just curious now to find out the following:

1.) Where on the priority list is calendaring for paying business accounts?
2.) Do we have a timeframe for deployment (even a Beta deployment)?

I'm doing everything I can to stay w/ FM as a paying customer - but integrated calendaring(invites, calendar sharing, etc), especially with today's business requirements, is a necessity I believe at this point.

Where are we at guys?

Long time loyal FM'r,

--Don
DJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Nov 2010, 06:48 AM   #2
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

I second that vote, as a lot of people here. I too, would like to hear Opera product management on this, although I doubt they would disclose any details of this kind.
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
publicenergy

The lack of a calendar is my only irritation with Fastmail.

The email has been pretty much perfect for all of the years I've been using it - I use Google Apps, but only have the calendar portion enabled, so that I can use mail.mydomain.com for my Fastmail email and calendar.mydomain.com for the Google Apps calendar. That approach is ok, but I'd really love a calendar with Fastmail.
publicenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
DJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicenergy View Post
The lack of a calendar is my only irritation with Fastmail.

The email has been pretty much perfect for all of the years I've been using it - I use Google Apps, but only have the calendar portion enabled, so that I can use mail.mydomain.com for my Fastmail email and calendar.mydomain.com for the Google Apps calendar. That approach is ok, but I'd really love a calendar with Fastmail.
This is exactly what I am doing. It doesn't sound like it would be that big of a deal, but it's actually quite annoying, and there's no native accept/deny invitations in the interface for moving back between GApps, and FM.

I'd really like to get an idea from the development team or management where calendaring honestly is on the priority list. - and being with FM as long as I have, I know I'm not the only one on here. Opera??

I've had to setup a few clients with BlueTie Business Email because FM didn't offer it native. (BT is actually an OK service, fyi - but FM is much better, just minus the calendaring) I would have MUCH rather get them signed up for a payed business account through FM - but calendaring absolutely KILLS the deal every single time!

BlueTie is doing this very well (paid). Google is doing this very well (free/paid). Yahoo, ... same (free/paid). Squirrelmail has a plugin for this (free), and it's a part of the Horde Framework (and it's actually quite nice, and free) etc, etc, etc. I know I'm missing a lot here too.

We are willing to pay for this, even if it comes to just the File Vault, Business accounts.

Where are we at??

--Don
Old 2 Dec 2010, 05:51 AM   #5
SvLSvLSvL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJF View Post
I'd really like to get an idea from the development team or management where calendaring honestly is on the priority list. - and being with FM as long as I have, I know I'm not the only one on here. Opera??
Where are we at??
Don, I very much understand your need for more information. I feel the same. It's sad to see that this is still a weak point of fastmail. I love FM too but also don't understand why the paying customers are in some way ignored like this. If something is not possible, fine, but tell us. See this post/thread for a discussion related to this.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...6&postcount=22

/svl
SvLSvLSvL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2010, 06:16 AM   #6
DJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvLSvLSvL View Post
I love FM too but also don't understand why the paying customers are in some way ignored like this. If something is not possible, fine, but tell us.
/svl
This perfectly describes my gripe with FM right now. I'm pretty shocked that there hasn't been any official response from any representative of FM by Opera, Rob, or even Jeremy on this (or anyone they employ).

It'd be one thing if I was a Guest user just signed up complaining about no calendar, but I've been a paying/contributing customer for years. And now, a paying Business customer who's trying to be able to bring more clients on board with the File Vault system, but can't.

I'm not saying "this needs to be done tomorrow" obviously,... all I'm asking is where Calendaring is on the development list and a priority.

Fastmail, if you're offering a serious Business Package, You need good calendaring. It will be the deal breaker every time. Business revolves around scheduling... (and we are willing to pay for it!)

Maybe I got hit on the head or something, but I remember FM interacting better with their customers. (paying or otherwise)

It seems like nobody wants to give a straight answer to this question?

I used to be a daily frequent reader of the FM forums, and I can tell you from years of reading this, change happened. I was one for the Opera buy out, now I'm reconsidering my opinion.

Simple important revenue-based question and no answer gets me worried. Really chatty, more enhancement "nice to have" requests and we see lots of talk, ....

This is not to be cutting down on FM I love the service and am a very loyal customer, but I'm starting to worry a bit.

I can't be the only one noticing this can I? (besides svl) ;-)

--Don
Old 8 Dec 2010, 06:54 AM   #7
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
We don't like to sell products we don't have, and for the time being we don't have a calendar. Business users aren't the only ones interested in this, but if we did make one, the first business customer would be Opera Software, we could certainly need it

So, are we actually investigating it? Yes. Can I promise it? No.
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Well, let us put it this way: The more features you incorporate into your mail service and browser, the more users are going to use your services and thus making them (the users) more dependent on Opera Isn't that good for your business? Yes! Well then give us the calender, already I'll even donate 1 EUR to start covering the development costs...
Old 8 Dec 2010, 06:30 PM   #9
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
I'll even donate 1 EUR to start covering the development costs...
I think it your 1 EUR was just used by johanborg by looking at this thread
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2010, 12:51 AM   #10
radtux

Please excuse me but how well do you integrate calendar in your daily activities. I see a lot of posts on these forums with people actually clamouring for the product as a real must have. Google offers that calendar functionality built in but I have never used it really. Different strokes for different people I guess.
radtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2010, 03:04 AM   #11
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
I think it your 1 EUR was just used by johanborg by looking at this thread
Well, at least I contributed something and he read this post. So now he can start working on the calendar integration for which YOU can now pay 1 EUR or more Everyone can pitch in...I think Johan will also accept free beers as a payment!
Old 11 Dec 2010, 03:07 AM   #12
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtux View Post
Please excuse me but how well do you integrate calendar in your daily activities. I see a lot of posts on these forums with people actually clamouring for the product as a real must have. Google offers that calendar functionality built in but I have never used it really. Different strokes for different people I guess.
Well, I use a calendar every day - a lot - at work and at home. It's not only my to-do list, but also includes a lot of notes within my appointments (flight numbers, hotel information, memos). So without any kind of calender I'm a dick head without brains, but with a calendar I'm at least dick head with a calender
Old 12 Dec 2010, 06:24 AM   #13
DJF

Quote:
Well, let us put it this way: The more features you incorporate into your mail service and browser, the more users are going to use your services and thus making them (the users) more dependent on Opera Isn't that good for your business? Yes! Well then give us the calender, already I'll even donate 1 EUR to start covering the development costs...
This is what I'm trying to say here. Especially since FM has such a really nice business offering already, it seems like it would be the perfect place for it. We want to use FM. (Opera services) We are willing to pay for it. This addition will be a huge thing to consider when your customers are deciding to stay with FM (Opera) or, go for the integration and move to Google Apps and give them the money!

I really hope that this is something that the development team is taking seriously.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 05:50 PM   #14
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
I think Johan will also accept free beers as a payment!
That's what we call "Internal Invoicing"
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Cool Poor man's calender integration

Made a link to my 30boxes calendar with some JS tweaks.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote