EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Nov 2019, 09:03 PM   #1
hatserghd

mailbox.org and other providers

Hello,

sorry for my bad English. I now use Mailbox.org for a number of months, and for the most part I like it. However, I have noticed that mail does not come in from some e-mail addresses. Other emails arrive, but with a delay.
I have set that spam should end up in the spam folder, and therefore should not be refused. Also emails that I send do not always arrive, or they come in spam. This seems to happen mainly when I send emails to Outlook.com addresses.
Do other people have similar problems with Mailbox.org? Is there something I can do about it or should I look for another mail provider? I have already set up DKIM, SPF and DMARC. If I should find another provider, what do you recommend? I want to be able to use my own domain, and the provider must have support for alliases.
hatserghd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Nov 2019, 11:23 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatserghd View Post
emails that I send do not always arrive, or they come in spam. This seems to happen mainly when I send emails to Outlook.com addresses.
It seems outlook.com, or your recipients @outlook.com, have set the spam threshold to be more strict than other providers. The only thing you can do is to make sure the recipients have not put you in their local "send to spam" list (deliberately or by mistake).

About messages that do not arrive: if you are sure they actually disappear (as opposed to being classified as spam) you should submit a ticket to mailbox.org, with details (recipient address, time sent).
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2019, 03:28 PM   #3
hatserghd

I have had twice that my mail was not sent, and I received a message back that my message could not be delivered. The first time I contacted Mailbox.org, they said it was due to an error at Microsoft. Maybe that is true, but I have never had problems with other providers.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 09:21 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

I have found that Outlook.com tends to be quite strict at first with regard to filtering email into spam. When I have set up new email and tested it to my own Outlook.com account my own email often ends up in spam, and even gets rejected sometimes. However, if I move the emails out of spam eventually Outlook.com starts to catch on that the mail is legitimate and puts it into the Inbox. I suspect there is some sort of flag they use for new email addresses and email from unknown domains.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2019, 02:36 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

A standard trick to lower the spam score is to put the sender's address in the address book. This of course has to be done by the recipient manually.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 05:40 PM   #6
hatserghd

And is there anything I can do about not receiving some emails?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 10:11 PM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Let's start with some trivialities:
1) the missing messages end up in spam
2) ditto, in an unexpected folder, if you have filters which do not work as intended
3) are you sure that the missing messages are actually sent AND that the sender doesn't receive some error reports about undeliverability?

If it's none of those, then it's possible that the senders' email domains are listed in at least one of email blacklists. Your email provider may use these blacklists to simply refuse connections from those domains. You may wish to check my suggestion here:
https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
Old 28 Nov 2019, 10:48 PM   #8
hatserghd

There is one e-mail address from which I never receive the e-mail. I have extensively checked all folders, including spam. I have not yet had the opportunity to ask this person if she received an error report. I do know that others receive her e-mails just fine. I am also sure that she uses the correct e-mail address. Furthermore, it seems to be no problem with the domain, since I receive emails from other people within the same organization and therefore with the same domain.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 02:57 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatserghd View Post
I have not yet had the opportunity to ask this person if she received an error report. I do know that others receive her e-mails just fine. I am also sure that she uses the correct e-mail address. Furthermore, it seems to be no problem with the domain, since I receive emails from other people within the same organization and therefore with the same domain.
I would definitely start by asking her about error reports.
If her messages do not reach you, and she gets no failure information, the next step would be for her to contact the organisation's IT support for help.