EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Nov 2012, 10:59 PM   #16
labarum
Essential Contributor

I have run Fastmail and Gmail in tandam for a few years. Not quite perfect. No means to sync address books and no auto-bcc in Gmail so if I send from Gmail there is no copy is the Fastmail sent folder. There are complicated ways to auto-bcc in Gmail but I have never tried them.

So you first step is to find a domain host that suits you and your location and has a good redirection switch.

I suppose I might have a short term problem if the domain host went bust, but you can't cover all risks.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
If you would prefer not to deal with related messages as a whole, you can turn off conversations by clicking "Settings" in the top right; it's the first option under Reading.
Neil, toggling threads (not "conversations") on & off to delete an individual message is a cumbersome solution. Some messages may not be pertinent to a particular thread, but there's currently no quick way to delete them.

I would propose using 'd' to delete the current message, and maybe 'D' to delete the entire thread. Deleting a thread *should* require more effort, since most people don't ordinarily delete entire threads on a regular basis.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2012, 11:44 PM   #18
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
If you end up going the Thunderbird route, I'd highly recommend considering Postbox. It's built on TB, but with many enhancements that make it justify the $10 Postbox costs.
I wish they'd update their Virtual Identity extension though; the current one adds a new reply-to address for every single character typed in the from: text field. VI's dev refuses to support Postbox (at least a couple of years ago when I inquired about it), and Postbox itself hasn't made any efforts to update the current VI extension to work with Postbox 3.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 12:35 AM   #19
yetanother1

PostBox has MASSIVE memory leaks (through version 3 anyway) and there is no way to even report a bug. As close to no support as you can imagine. It appears that it is literally a one-man operation. Having said that, I really like the interface and its capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
If you end up going the Thunderbird route, I'd highly recommend considering Postbox. It's built on TB, but with many enhancements that make it justify the $10 Postbox costs.
yetanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 12:48 AM   #20
yetanother1

I'm not a fan of 'd' and 'D'. A far better approach would be, when conversations are turned on, to have "Delete" and the "Move To" dropdown on the individual messages (to the right of "Reply, Reply All, and Forward"). Alternatively you could have a toggle somewhere on the screen to turn conversations on and off, instead of having to go to Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Neil, toggling threads (not "conversations") on & off to delete an individual message is a cumbersome solution. Some messages may not be pertinent to a particular thread, but there's currently no quick way to delete them.

I would propose using 'd' to delete the current message, and maybe 'D' to delete the entire thread. Deleting a thread *should* require more effort, since most people don't ordinarily delete entire threads on a regular basis.
yetanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 04:03 AM   #21
zidium

Yes! Bring It the F Down! This is your Digg v4 moment. Don't stick to the new version and lose all your paying customers. What's wrong w/ you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Green View Post
You're not answering his question: "How do you select an individual part of one of these blasted conversations and delete, move it, edit it, fwd it?"

I imagine that this is because there is no suitable answer, i.e. you can't.

Let me propose a simple solution to all our woes and save the FM team a lot of long days and sleepless nights: throw it away. Yes, throw away the past n months' work. Just get rid of it. It doesn't work. (I would like to say that it doesn't work as advertised, but we know how funny that would be.) Even if you can make it work, we still won't want to use it. Once bitten and all that... Learn from the lessons of the past 48+ hours and give us what we want: proper Ajax under the covers if that's a good thing, and all the functionality that we had before (where possible) and no new bells or whistles that nobody said they wanted. Is that really too much to ask for?

Jeremy, RobM, where are you now?
zidium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 04:28 AM   #22
apl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMike View Post
I think I just made a big mistake on the new UI.
How do you select an individual part of one of these blasted conversations and delete, move it, edit it, fwd it.
When viewing the email that makes up the conversation there is drop-down More menu, the Delete option in that menu will delete the single email from the conversation.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:22 AM   #23
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by apl View Post
When viewing the email that makes up the conversation there is drop-down More menu, the Delete option in that menu will delete the single email from the conversation.
If that's the case, then the menu entry should be "Delete Message" rather than just "Delete", because it's not clear that you are deleting just that message or the entire thread.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:31 AM   #24
apl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
If that's the case, then the menu entry should be "Delete Message" rather than just "Delete", because it's not clear that you are deleting just that message or the entire thread.
Point taken but there is an instance of the More menu for every message in the conversation. If you do it with Delete then you should also do it with all the other entries in that menu like Forward, Redirect, Print etc.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanother1 View Post
I'm not a fan of 'd' and 'D'.
Individual messages can be deleted by selecting "Delete" under the "More" menu in the header. As for the hotkeys, a secondary prompt before deleting the entire thread would moot any issues regarding accidentally hitting the wrong case.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 06:30 AM   #26
dkrenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanother1 View Post
PostBox has MASSIVE memory leaks (through version 3 anyway) and there is no way to even report a bug. As close to no support as you can imagine. It appears that it is literally a one-man operation. Having said that, I really like the interface and its capabilities.
I'll second that. I'm a long time Postbox user and the memory leaks have become increasingly more concerning. Used to be able to log support tickets and all that looks to be gone now. I'm seriously looking at going back to Mail...
dkrenik is offline   Reply With Quote