EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21 Sep 2021, 10:26 PM   #1
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK (East Anglia)
Posts: 681
Email and calendar separately

Up until now I've been using email services that have integrated calendars - such as Google, Fastmail and Outlook. It sometimes occurs to me to move my domains to one of the very good 'email only' services.

If I did change to 'email only,' is there any smart way to work with a third party calendar so that invitations, meeting details, events etc get easily entered into a calendar? I'm thinking primarily of online services.

If so, what might that calendar be?

Is this even a thing?

Last edited by Fenman : 21 Sep 2021 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Clarify
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Sep 2021, 03:06 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,478
I know you've edited your post to clarify, but I'm not exactly sure what you want to accomplish.

Are you saying, for example, because Fastmail has a calendar you would prefer not to use it?

If you are wanting to use an online calendar that is separate from your email, I would suggest moving your domain registrar to Gandi - they offer 2 x 3GB mail accounts free, and with that is included - if you use the SOGo interface - an online calendar.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2021, 03:35 AM   #3
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK (East Anglia)
Posts: 681
Thanks, Fredonline and sorry not to be clear.

At the moment I am very happy with Fastmail and like the calendar very much and use it. It occurred that some time in the future I might want to/have to move away from Fastmail. I *think* there are some good email hosts that don't have calendars. It's possible I'm wrong here.

If I had to use one of those, then how do I link it with a calendar?

(The more I think about it the more I realise the question is dumb!)

Yes, Gandi would suit well if ever I came away from .Fastmail.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2021, 09:01 AM   #4
pjroutledge
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post

If I had to use one of those, then how do I link it with a calendar?
If I'm understanding you, what you want is to be able to send and accept email calendar invitations and have your calendar automatically updated, as happens with Fastmail.

I can't answer with complete authority but I would be very surprised if you could find a webmail service that would support remote calendar updates. If you happened to be using a client (that supports both email and calendar, such as Outlook) then I think it's pretty likely you could make that work with distinct email and calendar services.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,780
In the Apple eco system Mail and Calendar are separated.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2021, 03:35 AM   #6
Reader
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
Thanks, Fredonline and sorry not to be clear.

At the moment I am very happy with Fastmail and like the calendar very much and use it. It occurred that some time in the future I might want to/have to move away from Fastmail. I *think* there are some good email hosts that don't have calendars. It's possible I'm wrong here.

If I had to use one of those, then how do I link it with a calendar?

(The more I think about it the more I realise the question is dumb!)

Yes, Gandi would suit well if ever I came away from .Fastmail.
A cloud based calendar comes to mind, but I am not sure if it will work out for you.
I am using mainly Thunderbird across several computers, Linux and Mac.
Using a free nextcloud account at woelkli.com, which includes a calendar function.
Also "To-do"-calendars.
I am not getting/sending meeting invitations though, but I don't see shy this should not work with Thunderbird with emal set up.
Syncing nice between all computers (and mobile devices too btw)
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2021, 03:14 PM   #7
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: UK (East Anglia)
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
A cloud based calendar comes to mind, but I am not sure if it will work out for you.
I am using mainly Thunderbird across several computers, Linux and Mac.
Using a free nextcloud account at woelkli.com, which includes a calendar function.
Also "To-do"-calendars.
I am not getting/sending meeting invitations though, but I don't see shy this should not work with Thunderbird with emal set up.
Syncing nice between all computers (and mobile devices too btw)
Many thanks, Reader. I think I could probably make something of that.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 11:33 AM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy