EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2006, 04:12 PM   #1
felterf

can't open .wmv file

I get Emails with attached Win Media Player files. Invariably since I've started using FastMail I cannot open them, supposedly because they are not supported. However if I forward the email to my Yahoo account I have no problem viewing it. This suggests to me that the problem is not in my computer setup but rather has something to do with FastMail.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
felterf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2006, 05:09 PM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Is this reading the message through the web interface, or with email software?

Can you create a folder called "forwebmaster" and put an example email in there, and then PM me your username and I'll have a look.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Aimlink
Master of the @

Usually, I can't just open .wmv files. I get an error soon after WMP opens. I always have to right click on the file, save target as (to disk), and then run it from there.
Aimlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

Same problem here with WMV files.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 09:30 AM   #5
alistair234

I've not had any problems opening WMV file or any other type of file for that matter with fastmail.

Sorry
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2006, 01:11 PM   #6
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
If anyone has a reproducible case, put the email in a folder and PM your username + what browser/OS you use, what folder it's in, etc.

Rob
Old 19 Jun 2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Groundpounder

The combination of wmv files, Firefox and Fastmail continues to be a problem (at least for me). My OS is WinXP SP2. Media Player version is V10.00.00.4036. (I upgraded from V9 to try to solve this problem, but it was no help whatsoever.)

I have to save the wmv file attachment, and play it out outside of my browser. As many have reported previously, no such problems with IE.

This problem applies to any wmv file included as an email attachment from any source. Just to test this, I emailed an wmv attachment to myself, and got the usual problem.

Other attachments, including mpg's, work just fine. wmv's open directly with no problems when links are clicked on in the Firefox browser. It's only the unique combination of wmv/Firefox/Fastmail that causes the problem.

The error given is a Windows Media Player error as follows: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found." Clicking on "web help" send you to a Microsoft site, which identifies the error as C00D109B. No idea what codec is missing - Windows Media Player usually automates these things.

Any help appreciated.
Groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:15 PM   #8
NJSS
Master of the @

I hate to "me too" - but I have precisely the same problem.

Wins XP Pro SPII patched to date.

Fastmail

Fireox 1.5.0.4

Media Player 10.00.00.4036

I will PM Rob & have set up a folder called WEBMASTER in which he will find an example.
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2006, 05:42 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I've checked this out, and as far as I can tell, the problem seems to be that firefox is passing the URL of the attachment to windows media player, but not any of the cookies, so when WMP tries to access the URL, all it sees is the login screen, not the attachment itself.

I think the problem is that we try and send the data "inline", rather than "as an attachment". Generally that works fine because firefox launches an OLE embedded environment (eg text files, html pages, word documents, excel sheets, etc all display within the browser page then rather than forcing a separate application launch which is nice), but this seems broken where windows media is concerned.

I'm wondering if we actually need to have a "whitelist" of things that can be shown in the browser, and everything else launches an external application.

Rob
Old 20 Jun 2006, 05:54 PM   #10
NJSS
Master of the @

Thanks Rob

How about a "check the box" when a WMV (or other file) is an attachment, allowing the user a choice to allow or disallow such a file to be opened, and also allow the user to save the choice for this file type or make the option one time only - does that make sense?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 06:50 PM   #11
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I'd prefer to work things out server side so things "just work" for users.

Rob
Old 21 Jun 2006, 12:15 AM   #12
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
See also Adobe Acrobat and Internet Explorer with a no-cache directive over SSL.

Yeah, don't you just love unwarranted assuptions with embedded objects. "We can just pass the URL because it will be cached" - except it's SSL and it asked not to be. Oops.

I wasted far too much of my life discovering this issue at a previous job.

The "always safe" workaround is to create a time-limited-securely-encoded URL that will work for the next hour or so - without cookies, server side, and then push that back to the client. Means anyone who snoops their connection can download that file for the next hour - but if they can snoop to that level they can probably just intercept it as it goes over the wire anyway.

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:04 AM   #13
rmmarsh

so what's the solution?

I'm having the same problem... so, what is the solution to be able to view .wmv files? If I could figure out how to download them from my "Files" folder, I would try it, but alas, I can't figure out how to download the files to my PC.

Regards...
rmmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2006, 06:15 PM   #14
NJSS
Master of the @

rmmarsh

If you are using a Windows PC probably the easiest way is to use NetDrive.

NetDrive maps your FastMail files store to a drive letter on your computer.

Netdrive is free and you can read about ir and download it here;_

http://law.wustl.edu/computersupport...e/netdrive.htm
Old 20 Sep 2006, 10:27 PM   #15
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NJSS
rmmarsh

If you are using a Windows PC probably the easiest way is to use NetDrive.

NetDrive maps your FastMail files store to a drive letter on your computer.

Netdrive is free and you can read about ir and download it here;_

http://law.wustl.edu/computersupport...e/netdrive.htm
If someone is having problems figuring out how to download files to their PC, I really think that NetDrive might be a bit advanced for them.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote