EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 1 Feb 2021, 05:07 AM   #16
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I am happy that you have managed to fix it.

I am also curious whether, when you respecified all the entries on the account definition, you have any idea what became different?

Was it that at some stage you'd typed "smpt" in a server name? If you had, it couldn't always have been like that, because it would never have worked. But it's possible that you accidentally changed that at some point.

Incidentally the correct value, SMTP, stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. The last letter - "P" - in "POP" and "IMAP" and "HTTP" and so on always stands for Protocol.

Screenshots: it's possible that we might have identified the problem earlier if we'd seen screenshots. I'd noticed too that you kept typing SMPT, but many people mistype that and I thought you were referring to labels/prompts in the account definition (so it didn't really matter what you called it), rather than an actually mistyped value. After all, as you said, it had worked before. I also thought that the error message you'd get would be different if the server name was wrong. This is something else that might have been easy for anyone here to identify if we'd seen the logfile.

I asked in an earlier reply if you know how to obscure confidential details in a screenshot? One absolutely has to do that because everything posted can be read by people who might use info you inadvertently share. I post pictures taken near my house, sometimes, on eg Facebook, but I blur out things like car registration numbers, house numbers, local council numbers on lamp posts etc first, to make it less obvious to strangers where I live.

I also asked if you have any cloud storage - Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive etc? If one has to post a picture online somewhere so that someone else can see it, using one of those - if one already has access - is simplest. Apart from that there are places that are commonly used just to store people's photographs, but still tend to need one to join first.
There's also places where anyone can upload a one-off picture, and the site will hold it for a few weeks.

I thought I'd try uploading a picture to one of these. First I took a screenshot of something totally boring and saved it in a .jpg file.

I went to: https://imgur.com and did not register. I clicked the "+ New post" green button in the top lefthand corner.

The next screen opened showing on its lefthand side an area labelled "Drop images here". I dragged the picture I'd saved and dropped it onto that area, whereupon it showed the picture.

Above the newly-displayed picture there was then some grey text saying "Give your post a title" so I typed one in.

To the right of the picture was an area labelled "Post" with, under it, a green button "To Community" and a dark grey one "Hidden". I assume (but have not checked) that the default "To community" means a newly-loaded picture can easily be seen by total strangers, so clicked "Hidden" which hopefully means that only people who are told where it is can find it.

A box popped-up saying "Here's your link" with a button on it labelled "Copy link"... which I clicked. That put the URL for the picture into the clipboard on my machine. I pasted it into a text file so I wouldn't lose it.

I completely ignored the invitation at the bottom of that box inviting me to login or register. It's possible that I really needed to logon/register. Don't know yet.

I'd been using Firefox until then, so I opened another browser and pasted into its URL bar the URL that I'd just saved. It showed the imgur page with my picture on it, so it must have worked.

You can find it at: https://imgur.com/a/RBVpeRN

I would encourage you to try this, with some random picture that contains nothing special... and if it works, keep the notes of how you did it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2021, 05:25 AM   #17
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

The clue for me was in post #11:

Quote:
When I go in to the eM Client menu accounts this what i see.

Accounts. General. Account name is email address. My name then email address. In Authentication Log in name is correct then password 14 digits. Below is SMPT and IMAP ticked. Then move to IMAP. Host is imap.tiscali.co.uk. Port 993. Authentication “Use identity credentials: user name **@tiscali.co.uk PW 14 digits. Move to SMPT. Host smpt.tiscali.co.uk. Port. 587 Security Policy: Force usage of SSL/TLS. Authentication: Server requires authentication ticked. Use these credentials ticked. User name **@tiscali.co.uk PW 12 digits.
The selection of Use these credentials meant that the username and password had to be entered again, and I suspect a typo occurred.

This was changed to Use Identity credentials as we knew that e-mails were being received OK.

As for posting screen caps, check out my web page:

http://emd.fastmail.com.user.fm/how-...in-a-emd-post/
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2021, 05:43 AM   #18
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I've just followed FredOnline's suggestion and posted my sample screenshot at the site he suggested. It was simpler to do than at imgur.

See: https://postimg.cc/nXhp9MKs
Old 1 Feb 2021, 05:47 AM   #19
6Antique9

Thanks both

Just like to say thanks to both.

To Jeremy

No I didn’t respecified all the entries, I just followed the instructions and it appears something was not correct and so when I changed it it worked. I hadn’t tried to change anything because I didn’t want to confuse the issue any more than it already was. I have taken screen shots and one of the things I can do is obscure sensitive data. Unfortunately that’s about as far as I can go with your suggestions of cloud ect. I don’t have any Twitter, facebook or any of the other social sites. I do belong to AV Forums and they have the facility to upload jpg screen shots. As for your suggestion I try out the imgur.com, I don’t think I will thank you. From your text it looks extremely complicated and I would want to jeopardise and settings now things are sorted.

Thank you for your input and you will be pleased to know I have saved and printed the help from you and FredOnline. Hi FredOnline used your link it says Trojan

Please stay safe

Last edited by 6Antique9 : 1 Feb 2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: New information
6Antique9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2021, 10:00 PM   #20
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Antique9 View Post
No I didn’t respecified all the entries, I just followed the instructions and it appears something was not correct and so when I changed it it worked. I hadn’t tried to change anything because I didn’t want to confuse the issue any more than it already was.
On your second post in this discussion you mentioned trying to change passwords, to make them all the same length. It's possible you accidentally altered something else at the same time.

Quote:
As for your suggestion I try out the imgur.com, I don’t think I will thank you. From your text it looks extremely complicated and I would want to jeopardise and settings now things are sorted.
Taking the last point first, finding a picture on your pc - not necessarily a screenshot - making sure it's got nothing sensitive on it, and proving to yourself that you can upload it, has nothing to do with email, so would not jeopardise anything.

What I wrote may /look/ complicated, but that's because I described every step of a process that is really quite simple. If someone wrote a step by step description of how one gets into a car and starts the engine and drives off, it would look horrendously complicated, but it isn't.
[/quote]

Quote:
Hi FredOnline used your link it says Trojan
What says Trojan? Ah... is that the link for the Portable version of Thunderbird?

There's a website named Virus Total where people can upload files they want to have virus-scanned. Uploaded files are then examined by about 30-40 separate anti-virus and anti-malware programs. Right now just one of those thinks that that installer for the Portable version of Thunderbird may contain a Trojan. See:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...5799/detection

It's not possible for anti-virus software already to have seen every single piece of malware, as there's huge quantities of it and it changes all the time. So all anti-virus software uses "heuristics" which is a fancy name for intelligent guesswork. They look for things - snippets of code - particular mixtures of parts of programs - which have been seen in known-to-be malicious programs, and if they see that same thing in something else they assume it's bad too. Anti-virus software companies continually tweak the rules that their blind guesswork uses, to try to avoid guessing wrong. It's likely that in this case this is an incorrect guess. If - say - half a dozen different companies thought that thing was bad, that might suggest a problem, and if many more agreed, that would make it near certain.

Having said that, I'm surprised that FredOnline gave you a link to somewhere other than the original company who produce the Portable version ("Portable" is capitalised because it has a special meaning and the apps come from a specific place). In general it's a bad idea to download any installer from anywhere other than the website that the original producer has, because it's possible that a good program from an original producer has been tampered with before being made available elsewhere.. (That doesn't seem to be the case here.)

The place to look for Portable Apps is the PA website - https://portableapps.com - and in this case:

https://portableapps.com/apps/intern...rbird_portable

The idea of "Portable Apps" is that they don't need installed on a system in the sense that a normal install would do. They can be placed on eg USB sticks and used on whatever PC someone plugs the USB stick into. Lots of computer techs use this sort of thing because they can take such a USB stick with them when they visit a customer, use the tools (that they are familiar with) on their stick, and not leave any trace of that on the customer's machine.

I use quite a few "Portable Apps", all fetched from the PA website.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 12:03 AM   #21
6Antique9

Thanks but

Thanks guys but I don't expect I will ever need a portable app, I don't do enough to warrant yet another thing to complicate my life (what's left of it) If anything breaks again it will be the dustbin and I will go back to pen and paper.

Take care and be safe.
6Antique9 is offline   Reply With Quote