EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Jan 2006, 10:09 PM   #31
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

Well, the new domains including fastmail.net are now available, as posted on the blog at midnight:

http://blog.fastmail.fm/

I've switched the home domain for our Enhanced accounts, and re-created the old home domain address as an alias (one of the accounts has a short username, so I had to purchase a short alias at $1/month).

Not that I ever gave out my FM-domain address to correspondents, but I do need to update the various forwardings I have (from Tuffmail, etc) to forward to the new FM home domain address. Meantime the old home domain address will still work as an alias...

Thanks for the present Jeremy/Rob
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2006, 10:26 PM   #32
beq

P.S. When changing home domain, FM seems to conveniently swap the account mappings to the new home domain address automatically (alias/virtual domain pointing, etc).

But the home domain address personality didn't get changed for our accounts. Not sure about Define Rules (since I don't use it).
Old 4 Jan 2006, 11:41 PM   #33
snsh

Will blog.fastmail.fm move to blog.fastmail.net?
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 07:05 AM   #34
Essential Contributor

Quote:
from the blog
Both domains (fastmail.net and fastmail.es) are immediately available for new signups, renames and aliases for users at all service levels.
That's great! Allowing everyone to use the new domian fastmail.net will make great advertising for the service.
541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2006, 06:13 PM   #35
ankupan

Yes,
Really its easy to remember even making more stronger brand name also
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2006, 06:13 AM   #36
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by beq
... but I do need to update the various forwardings I have (from Tuffmail, etc) to forward to the new FM home domain address. Meantime the old home domain address will still work as an alias...
Is there any reason not to forward to an alias? I do all my forwarding to aliases (actually to subdomain addresses of aliases). Of course if you plan to ditch the old account name eventually then you need to change the forwarding.

BTW, as a brand name I prefer FastMail.FM: there are other FastMails out there, but only one FastMail.FM! (However, in general my favourite tld is .net . Not because of the M$ technology with the same name but because it means something related to its use: network identification or presence).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2006, 07:55 AM   #37
beq

I guess I'd just "feel" better about using my home domain address, so I can discard any aliases later on (especially since my own account has a short username so that I had to buy a short alias).

And since we're only talking about private forwardings (from a trusted source) and not about giving out addresses to correspondents or mailing lists, I don't have to worry about exposing my home domain address to additional spam or whatnot. In general I only deal publicly using addresses on my own domains, so I never really had much use for FM aliases...

I'm curious though, why do you do all your forwarding only to aliases, if I may ask?

P.S. I agree I like the uniqueness of FM.FM, but I'll probably just end up describing it to my other account holders as fastmail.net (for after the domain split), since they currently don't even know about their FM addresses...
Old 8 Jan 2006, 06:08 AM   #38
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by beq
...I'm curious though, why do you do all your forwarding only to aliases, if I may ask?
Perhaps I'm being paranoid? An alias is replaceable. The main username not as replaceable (though I still have the option of renaming my account left from the last upgrade. Renaming has some side effects because IIRC some things like IMAP flags do not carry over).

Also I think it is my duty to protect my email addresses, not anyone elses, so though I trust the forwarding services I use not to betray my trust, I don't think I should expect them to keep it in a safe for me. Things can happen that make an email address known to the wrong party that are not always under the control of the trusted party that shares the "secret" email address.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 11:39 PM   #39
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

I'm happy that the Fastmail.net purchase has made users happy. We priced it so that .FM could justify the purchase and are pleased since it was in the best position to fully exploit the domain once it became superfluous to our requirements.

We've gotten a lot of attention as a result of our $800K USD Earth.com transaction last week and we'll mention the Fastmail.net/Fastmail.fm transaction in the PR we issue over the next couple of weeks. We hope that .FM will continue to grow and that the .net purchase will assist them in their future success.

More details on the Earth.com transaction here.

It goes without saying that if anyone is looking so sell high traffic generic domains (or in need of finance in that sector) that we'd welcome an email.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2006, 03:28 AM   #40
ReuvenNY

Forgive me for my total lapse in brain activity (for the moment), but are you implying in the comment above that you represent Fastmail or it it Earth.com???
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2006, 04:07 AM   #41
beq

From the PR:
Quote:
Cameron Johnson of InnovationHQ.com and DnStrategy.com, who acquired the domains in conjunction with Seraphim Marcopoulos of Logicbank LLC, sees this double acquisition as a fantastic way to end the year, “We’re thrilled to grab these two terrific premium names! The road to actually landing these domains was filled with high stakes drama, and Seraphim was instrumental in helping us secure them.”
Marcopoulos possibly sounds Greek, so perchance this could be our oysterquartz?

As to ReuvenNY's question, methinks he represents Logicbank LLC...

Edit: fixed misspelling of Marcopoulos

Last edited by beq : 9 Jan 2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 04:29 AM   #42
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Forgive me for my total lapse in brain activity (for the moment), but are you implying in the comment above that you represent Fastmail or it it Earth.com???
Beq would be correct
Old 9 Jan 2006, 04:51 AM   #43
beq

That's great oysterquartz!

Now, to set your sights (and our hopes) on fastmail.com...
Old 9 Jan 2006, 05:25 AM   #44
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by beq
From the PR:Macropoulos possibly sounds Greek,...
but Seraphim certainly sounds Hebrew!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 05:38 AM   #45
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
but Seraphim certainly sounds Hebrew!
Yes, its biblical and very rare as a given name. Less so in its Italian derivative (and familiar form in Greek) of Serafino.