EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 9 Jun 2003, 09:05 PM   #1
psalzer

Joker.com and getting my domain back.

I have a domain which seems to be registered with Joker.com now. That's not who I registered it with, or renewed it with, but that's what the whois information has and that's who denied my registrar of choice when I tried to transfer it. Thing is, I don't have an account with Joker.com to go in and manage the domain and they certainly make transfering it away a chore and a half and one that I can't accomplish without an account..or maybe two different accounts. I'm not entirely sure. I tried to set one up and instead of sending me a password in e-mail, they sent me a link to get the password, which seemed nowhere in evidence when I clicked on the link. I went through that process several times and then sent them a request for help. It's now the middle of the day in Germany and not so much as an auto-reply to that. Does anyone know how to get through to them or how any of this works with them? The other domains I have are at 000domains.com, which is where I want to transfer this one and it's all a very simple process, as it was with the one other registar I've ever used. I'm off to work and won't be able to get back for 12 hours or so, so if there are any responses, thanks in advance.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Jun 2003, 10:22 PM   #2
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

In Holland it is a national Holiday today and everything is closed. I just checked and it's the same in Germany (Pentecost Monday), allthough I can't say for sure that everything is closed there too. So you might have to wait till tomorrow before you get a reply from them.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2003, 10:27 PM   #3
mammaduck

I just went over their FAQ page and this is what it says:

Quote:
According to ICANN regulations the 'gaining' registrar has to initiate the process of transferring domains between registrars. To start the procedure the “gaining” registrar has to “obtain express authorization from an individual who has the apparent authority to legally bind the SLD holder (as reflected in the database of the losing Registrar)”.

1.) To start the transfer we need a positive answer from the admin-c OR the owner of the domain.

1.1.) Immediately after you submitted the request we will we will send emails to the current owner and admin-c of the domain you have asked to transfer asking for verification
So it seems very strange that your domain was transferred over without you knowing about it.

Hanneke
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:28 AM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: Joker.com and getting my domain back.

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I have a domain which seems to be registered with Joker.com now. That's not who I registered it with, or renewed it with, but that's what the whois information has and that's who denied my registrar of choice when I tried to transfer it. Thing is, I don't have an account with Joker.com to go in and manage the domain and they certainly make transfering it away a chore and a half and one that I can't accomplish without an account..or maybe two different accounts.

In the first place which registar did you register the domain with? The registar that you register with you should be able to login and manage the account from there. Perhaps the whois is wrong and what it reflects doesn't mean on the physical account. You might still be able to access. Probably this is a sign to tell you time to change registar!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 02:25 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Could be Killer: But I am guessing that the company that originally registered the domain has some kind of an agreement with joker dot com and are in effect a subsidary company. This shows that one cannot be too careful when selecting a company to do business with. --david
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 10:56 AM   #6
psalzer

Hi, yes, I think that's exactly what happened. I registered at Registryweb.com about three years ago. It was the first domain I ever registered and I had no idea what I was doing or anything. Sometime since then Joker.com started showing up in the whois for the domain. The gaining registrar did start the process and it was denied before I got any opportunity to approve or disapprove it. I'm going to try to do this through registryweb now. Since it was Joker.com that denied the request I was trying to deal with them, but now I'm going to try to deal with this one. This is why I want to change. They make it a lot easier at 000domains.com, and I'm sure at many other ones.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 11:43 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

I was checking out regulations regarding transfers at ICAN According to this only the registrant or the admin contact can instigate the transfer process. It is important I think to ensure that if you are the owner of any domain name that your name is entered in the whois record as admin contact in order to ensure that the domain cannot be transferred without your prior knowledge. --david
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:01 PM   #8
psalzer

Hi..getting more frustrated. Yes, my name is listed and my e-mail address and everything else. I just can't access anything on their site that allows me to initiate the process. I tried on the registryweb site, which seems to be a reseller for joker now, but there's nothing at all about transferring a domain away from it and, as I said, I can't get to the part of Joker.com that allows you to do that and so far have received no response to my request for help on that. I'll give it the rest of the night, since it's a holiday, and then try again tomorrow.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:02 PM   #9
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
Hi, yes, I think that's exactly what happened. I registered at Registryweb.com about three years ago. It was the first domain I ever registered and I had no idea what I was doing or anything. Sometime since then Joker.com started showing up in the whois for the domain. The gaining registrar did start the process and it was denied before I got any opportunity to approve or disapprove it. I'm going to try to do this through registryweb now. Since it was Joker.com that denied the request I was trying to deal with them, but now I'm going to try to deal with this one. This is why I want to change. They make it a lot easier at 000domains.com, and I'm sure at many other ones.

Are you saying that during the three years you have quite forgotton about the domain? Perhaps it have expired, and someone got your domain.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:17 PM   #10
JeremyY

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
Are you saying that during the three years you have quite forgotton about the domain? Perhaps it have expired, and someone got your domain.
he said it was under his name...

Quote:
Yes, my name is listed and my e-mail address and everything else
JeremyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:20 PM   #11
Edwin
 Administrator 

I think if you choose a new registrar and instigate an incoming transfer for your domain name, that should set in motion the process that will (at some stage in the transfer) prod Joker.com into issuing a transfer confirmation request via email to the Admin email address. All you would then have to do is act on this confirmation and the domain will be out of Joker.com.

In other words, the place to look for the transfer option is not at Joker.com but at the "destination" registrar. Joker.com is a near-passive loser in the transaction i.e. beyond the first challenge-response that you have to complete, they don't do anything much.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2003, 12:48 PM   #12
psalzer

Killer, no, I haven't forgotten about the domain. It's one of the domains for an active site and I need it, as it's the one with the search engine placement and the incoming links. It's functioning and pointing to my site. I just want to change registrars.

Edwin, that's how I did start it. I started the process at 000domains.com. Joker sent a denial without my getting a chance to do anything about it. Wherever it's supposed to happen, I can't access the part of the Joker.com site that supposedly will allow me to get this done. Now I can't seem to get in touch with them to get them to do anything about it, but having learned that it's a holiday, I'm waiting until tomorrow to get really, really mad.
Old 14 Jun 2003, 06:29 PM   #13
dragon1

Have you tried emailing directly the contact person at CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmBH (dba joker.com)?

Found on this page at ICANN's web site:

http://www.icann.org/registrars/accr...fied-list.html

Their telephone number is listed, too, if worse comes to worse.

ICANN doesn't resolve any complaints with accredited registrars but they provide a reporting process and some "tips" on how to go about resolving any problems. Here's the page to report any problems with a registrar, which they keep track of for any trends:

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

Sorry about your problems with them. Knock wood I haven't had any problems with mine. They're resellers, too.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2003, 10:41 PM   #14
psalzer

Hi. I think it's all worked out. I finally got a password that worked. I have no idea why the system they have didn't work the first bunch of times I tried it, but it works now. I haven't actually transferred the domain yet but I think I'm going to be able to.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 12:01 AM   #15
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
With such an "un-stable" experience I would suggest the owner to move the domain to a more reliable alternative registar.