EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Jul 2021, 12:43 PM   #1
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Domains and addresses

My understanding is that in my FM account I can have a bunch of domains, is that right?

Now, can I send from multiple addresses in those multiple domains, all while paying for just a single-user account? I want the "reply-to" address in those email headers to be that address, and not my account address of record, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help people can provide!

Last edited by o0o : 20 Jul 2021 at 02:14 PM.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jul 2021, 02:54 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

You are talking about aliases. I suggest some stuff you might want to read on this topic are:

How to set up aliases

Plus addressing and subdomain addressing

Identities

I would also include Catchall/Wildcard aliases but I believe there's a error in that article (step 3) because you set these up as sending identities not as actual aliases (you cannot define an alias whose local part is a "*"). Maybe I will submit a ticket on that.

In general you can have up to 600 unique aliases but by using subdomain (or plus) addressing you can "overload" a single alias with any number of email addresses.

I'm pretty sure others will follow up in this thread with some examples. If I recall there's another thread with some examples but I don't have the link handy.

Last edited by xyzzy : 20 Jul 2021 at 03:09 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2021, 03:23 PM   #3
o0o

I should have stated, I am asking regarding sending only. I get all my email delivered to my Gmail account by my registrar. Then I want to send from Gmail using different email addresses using the FM SMTP servers. The “reply to” address in the email header must match the address being used, not my account’s email address of record.

This is what I am doing now with TuffMail, but sadly they will be shutting down soon.

Thanks!
Old 20 Jul 2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0o View Post
I should have stated, I am asking regarding sending only. I get all my email delivered to my Gmail account by my registrar. Then I want to send from Gmail using different email addresses using the FM SMTP servers. The “reply to” address in the email header must match the address being used, not my account’s email address of record.

This is what I am doing now with TuffMail, but sadly they will be shutting down soon.
I’m using Pobox for that. A forwarding service with SMTP access. BTW, Pobox is part of Fastmail.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2021, 12:42 PM   #5
o0o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I’m using Pobox for that. A forwarding service with SMTP access. BTW, Pobox is part of Fastmail.
Berenburger,

I have checked out Pobox and that is just what I was looking for. I have pretty much switched over from Tuffmail and am very satisfied.

I see that they share many internals with FM. How much of what is discussed on the FM forum also applies to Pobox?

o0o
Old 6 Aug 2021, 07:52 AM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0o View Post
I see that they share many internals with FM. How much of what is discussed on the FM forum also applies to Pobox?
Pobox' Mailstore account pretty much matches Fastmail's standard account.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote