EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:26 PM   #46
drewdawg

I always felt safe with fastmail, but now just not sure. You read about privacy concerns and hacking concerns from some of the giants: live, gmail, yahoo.... so fastmail was the choice for me... i can't see opera maintaining 2 different email services.... so its only a matter of time before they merge...
drewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:32 PM   #47
Adon

Opera has opened an office in my country, does that mean that from now on Fastmail will answer to my country's law enforcement agencies and reveal my data to them on request or court order?
Adon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:36 PM   #48
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

While it's only natural to greet news like this with questions and concerns, I'm really surprised by the folks who are already running off to sign up for a new service before the dust has even settled. Perhaps someday we'll all be moving on to greener pastures. Making the jump now just seems ... hasty.

I posted up above that I've been an Opera user for 10 years, but I should probably add a bit more to that. I've also been involved with Opera "internally" for many years, helping out in various volunteer capacities. For example, back in 2004 I was one of the charter members of the original "Opera Ambassadors," a group of users dedicated to increasing usage of the Opera browser in the USA. We launched the very first "Choose Opera" campaign and Web site, put out newsletters, and carried out a number of other viral initiatives. Since those days, I've also become involved in testing and other areas. In all that time, I've had interactions with people at all levels of the company -- from developers and QA people to the marketing and "Open the Web" areas, even up to the CEO.

When I posted above that this acquisition seems like the perfect blend of corporate cultures, I wasn't exaggerating. The goals, objectives, internal operations and overall "worldview" of FM and Opera seem perfectly in sync. It's hard to imagine a better match.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:38 PM   #49
COUME
Master of the @

Opera seems to be hiring Neil as a full time employee so I guess we should expect so heavy new development in the Interface in the next few months
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:41 PM   #50
jon348fmf

shouldn't this thread go on the Early Warning forum???

-jon
jon348fmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:45 PM   #51
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quick list of old well known competitors of FM!
www.runbox.com (avoid IMHO)
www.tuffmail.com
http://www.mailsp.net/features.php => ex www.mailsnare.net ?
http://www.eumx.net/services.php
www.bluebottle.com
www.gawab.com

fusemail.com and emailhosting.com
hushmail
load.com
usermail.com

Last edited by vivil : 2 May 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: additions
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:52 PM   #52
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Thumbs up

It's so easy for people to jump the gun in these situations but the way I look at it is that more expertise, more funding and more innovative ideas can only be good for an already great service.

Opera would not change anything drastically on an immediate basis or they'd simply lose all the customers FM have worked hard to gain. Even if changes are afoot, sobeit - they can only be for the better since Opera are such a well-established, repuatable company. I doubt they'd want to jeapordise that by getting on the wrong side of FM's client base.

Personally, I'm quite positive. So much so that I've just renewed for another couple of years (just in case there are any price changes on the horizon ).
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:52 PM   #53
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

Alternatives?

I don't like this news -- perhaps I am just getting older, and I don't do as well with changes being imposed upon me. Some notice of this transfer would have been much appreciated. Now I'm forced to hand all my info to Opera, or else to find a new email service. Both options are unappealing, but I may very well go with the latter.

I tried a couple of alternatives a few years ago, but didn't stick with them. webmail.us was one. I'm looking now at fusemail.com and emailhosting.com, and revisiting webmail.us to see what may have changed.
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 08:56 PM   #54
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Does this mean we will have to download Opera on our computers as a Browser for our Fastmail accounts to work? Does anyone know that? I use Mozilla-Firefox as my main browser and have IE still on the machine but don't use it a lot.

I did have Opera as my main browser previously but have found M-F to be a faster and more reliable browser so I was wondering if the take over affects that. I just renewed my contract with FM for 5 years last spring as well so was happy to see that that is still valid and just transfers over.

If anyone knows about the browser issue and could tell me I would appreciate it, thanks!

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:00 PM   #55
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanUKF View Post
..//..
If anyone knows about the browser issue and could tell me I would appreciate it, thanks!

Susan
I doubt that anyone knows the finer details for sure at the moment Susan, although I also doubt very much you'd be forced to use the Opera browser. Don't forget, one of Microsofts biggest defeats in the European courts recently was about the way it was forcing people who bought a Windows O/S to use Internet Explorer - hence the recent WinUpdate download which gave you the choice of a gazzillion different browsers.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:02 PM   #56
ruaricallow

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanUKF View Post
Does this mean we will have to download Opera on our computers as a Browser for our Fastmail accounts to work? Does anyone know that?
I simply cannot see this happening (I work for Opera).

I think people are worrying too much! I know I am biased but in all honesty I think this will be a good thing.

Last edited by ruaricallow : 30 Apr 2010 at 09:09 PM.
ruaricallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:04 PM   #57
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Okay, thanks very much for the quick replies and help, CyberDyne and ruaricallow.

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:04 PM   #58
Fabaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
...I've just renewed for another couple of years (just in case there are any price changes on the horizon
+1

Great initiative. We are stuffed if prices go down

Fabaus
Fabaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:07 PM   #59
shampoo

Refund?

If I refuse the "upgrade," do I get a refund? The answer to this question seems nowhere to be found (ahem).
shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2010, 09:09 PM   #60
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
Tuffmail. Runbox's problems means there's no alternative to Tuffmail, apart from FM.
+1. Tuffmail is very good, reliable and configurable, but don't expect much influence on the service itself. JC rules.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote