EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 25 Jul 2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

increase in SPAM

Hello,

Lately, I've seen a sharp increase in SPAM getting through the filters.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Do you use both SpamAssassin and the DSPAM filter? Could you post a header of an Email that should have been caught?

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:23 AM   #3
mdembski

Also seeing more (2 or 3 a day), but not terrible. More a problem is that filter does not learn, and keeps sticking approved mail in spam folder. Only real fix I have found is to place address in my address book.
mdembski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2009, 12:42 AM   #4
nooby
Essential Contributor

BBC says it is 97% spam now?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7988579.stm

Quote:
Wednesday, 8 April 2009

More than 97% of all e-mails sent over the net are unwanted, according to a Microsoft security report.

The e-mails are dominated by spam adverts for drugs, and general product pitches and often have malicious attachments.

The report found that the global ratio of infected machines was 8.6 for every 1,000 uninfected machines.

It also found that Office document attachments and PDF files were increasingly being targeted by hackers.
I wonder how many legitimate emails get false positive marking as spam and maybe never reach us?

I received several from yahoogroups that Live Mail client though was spam but no spam in that message at all .Only a link to that guys homepage and he sell his own books on it.

So formally a spam if I don't want to see his link but the text had no spam in it. so it a narrow line to thread for those deciding on the settings of the filters?
nooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

I never use webmail but use IMAP all the time. My client (Mail) has a very good trainable SPAM filter as well so my Runbox spam goes into the Junk folder and when I look at that folder, my client also flags the items it thinks are SPAM. In most cases, they are the same. But sometimes valid email goes into the junk folder (decided by Runbox) and other times spam goes into my regular inbox (again, decided by Runbox). I can distinguish these by their local spam flag.
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:35 PM   #6
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdembski View Post
Also seeing more (2 or 3 a day), but not terrible. More a problem is that filter does not learn, and keeps sticking approved mail in spam folder. Only real fix I have found is to place address in my address book.
I think what you are describing here is that you think that posting something as Not spam means that the sender gets Whitelisted. It does not. What you really does is that you tell DSPAM that the combination of words and possibly HTML markup is not something you consider to be spam.

If you want to to mark a sender as okey, then you use the icon for Whitelisting the sender.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:16 PM   #7
mdembski

Whitelisting does not work 100% of the time. I think part of the problem is that many newsletters, etc use slight variations on their email address. I've gotten to the point that Runbox is only a backup email account, and I will probably let it go when subscription expires. Over the years I have been happy with the service other than legitimate email ending up in the spam folder consistently, in spite of white listing. Adding an email address is the only way that consistently works to ensure email does not end up in spam folder.
mdembski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdembski View Post
Whitelisting does not work 100% of the time. I think part of the problem is that many newsletters, etc use slight variations on their email address. I've gotten to the point that Runbox is only a backup email account, and I will probably let it go when subscription expires. Over the years I have been happy with the service other than legitimate email ending up in the spam folder consistently, in spite of white listing. Adding an email address is the only way that consistently works to ensure email does not end up in spam folder.
Please refer to my reply here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...273#post484273
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote