EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Dec 2008, 02:11 AM   #886
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
Edit: Oops, Sherry (following Neil's post below), I've read your post to fast, I thought you referred to hadaso's javascript code.
Thanks for helping anyway. hadaso's JS works fine.

Thanks Neil. I was going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Putting text there to identify each of my accounts was a great thing. Guess I'll have to wait until I see if you guys will let us use the "Full Name" field in Preferences to put our text in.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2008, 03:50 AM   #887
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
@hadaso: nice!

I've put your code on the JS examples wiki page. I've also added some more code to it so that the " | " at the end is not part of the link.
And now I've edited it a bit to use the new id's introduced (and the editing in the interface is great! with webdeveloper it was actually showing element ids and classes, copying into the textarea in the same page, then saving and have the page change! cool!)
I'm not sure innerhtml is the best way to do it. I'm not close to being a javascript programmer. I know using "innerhtml" is considered a "sin" among some javascript programmers. It works though!

I prepended all variable identifiers in my tweaks.js with "twk" to avoid conflicts with whatever else is running in the interface. Perhaps we should have some naming conventions so that code snippets can easily be shared among users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
... Guess I'll have to wait until I see if you guys will let us use the "Full Name" field in Preferences to put our text in.
No you won't!
I've posted a two line javascript snippet on the NewInterfaceJS wiki page that changes the displayed email addres to arbitrary text. (It will be four lines with the code that needs to wrap it. That's also in that wiki page). And I tested it and it works on IE6.
tweaks.js is
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2008, 04:32 AM   #888
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Keyboard action menu

The keyboard action menu come up when typing "." (a period). Then one can use either the keyboard or the mouse to select actions. I was wondering whether it is a good idea to also allow it to come up with some mouse action, such as double-click (or if it's doable using custom javascript)/
Old 7 Dec 2008, 06:40 AM   #889
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
No you won't!
I've posted a two line javascript snippet on the NewInterfaceJS wiki page that changes the displayed email addres to arbitrary text. (It will be four lines with the code that needs to wrap it. That's also in that wiki page). And I tested it and it works on IE6.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You... Works great with IE7 also.

Question:

Is there a way to color the text and also to align it to the left of the menu bar?

Sherry

EDIT: I figured out the color part so just need to align to the left if possible.

Last edited by Sherry : 7 Dec 2008 at 06:52 AM.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2008, 05:44 PM   #890
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I prepended all variable identifiers in my tweaks.js with "twk" to avoid conflicts with whatever else is running in the interface. Perhaps we should have some naming conventions so that code snippets can easily be shared among users.
Seems like a good idea Hadaso, especially for functions. (don't have any practical suggestions though)
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2008, 11:14 PM   #891
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Seems like a good idea Hadaso, especially for functions. (don't have any practical suggestions though)
There should be no need to introduce new global variables even with really quite complex code. All of the tweaks are probably going to be inside a:

Code:
window.addEvent('domready', function(){
 // code goes here
});
Provided that you remember to declare each variable properly the first time you use it by using the var keyword (e.g. var myVariable = 3 the variable is confined to the local scope of the containing function so can't interfere with our variables.

Neil
neilj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Dec 2008, 05:45 AM   #892
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I tried to use this js library with tweaks.js, but I don't see how I can get the interface to include the the file. The instructions there say to put
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="wz_tooltip.js"></script>
immediately after the <body> tag. trying
Code:
var twktooltiplib = document.createElement('script');
twktooltiplib.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript');
twktooltiplib.setAttribute('src', 'lib/wz_tooltip.js');
insertBefore(twktooltiplib,document.childNodes[1].firstChild);
failed even inside a "window.addevent".
Code:
document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(twktooltiplib)
was a bit more "successful" in that at least the filename was listed when viewing javascript source (using "web developer" extension in FireFox).but it showed the page's html instead of the contents of the javascript file. I guess the problem is the file's address.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 06:28 AM   #893
ndoylend

Safari Ctrl+Click & General Comments

Ctrl+Click doesn"t work as expected in the rich text compose screen - Just gives three cut/copy/paste options rather than the standard menu of options (incl. spelling correction/search in Google/etc). This is in Safari on the Mac by the way.

Otherwise first looks are OK, although everything could be tightened up a bit on screen (e.g. buttons are a bit big, tool bar doesn't resize too well in small windows, wasted space a bit of a problem compared with the older stylesheet I was using, which seemed to give more on screen).

Also liked the way the advanced screen used to be, new layout appears to mimic the basic screen more. Maybe option to change default exists, haven't investigated much.

Will take a bit of getting used to but do look forward to seeing the final version when it's tightened up a bit.

Ver: r17187

Sorry if this has already been mentioned - 60 pages of messages on this very popular single thread is a bit much to skim through.

Nick
ndoylend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 06:58 PM   #894
COUME
Master of the @

Do you think that it is possible, thanks to a CSS tweak, to reduce the length of the 2 drop-downs in "show more options" view of emails?

Thanks
Ludo
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:42 PM   #895
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
Do you think that it is possible, thanks to a CSS tweak, to reduce the length of the 2 drop-downs in "show more options" view of emails?
Changing the width is easy, but changing the height would likely require some JavaScript. To change the width, use the following and change 15em to whatever width you'd prefer:
Code:
.messageActions, .jumpPoints { width: 15em }

Last edited by Mystakill : 12 Dec 2008 at 09:15 PM.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 08:58 PM   #896
COUME
Master of the @

Thanks a lot

I just have to remove the Delete button now, and I will finally be able to have all the option on a single line!
Old 12 Dec 2008, 10:55 PM   #897
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
I just have to remove the Delete button now, and I will finally be able to have all the option on a single line!
Kind of like this: http://mystakill.fastmail.net/custom-ui/message.jpg?

It doesn't scale down well on lower resolutions (<1440x900) at the moment. Part of the problem is that I still need to remove the "Next" and "Previous" text, and just display the arrows instead. I'll work on that when I have time. I also need to clean up & reorganize all of the quick & dirty tweaks I've been making since the new interface was released.

Edit: I just noticed that the .nextPrev div blocks the reply/forward buttons due to the higher z-index. Also, the bottom rows are not currently condensed. I'll definitely have to fix those issues before I recommend anyone else use those tweaks.

Edit: OK. I added a higher z-index to .messageActions and .secondaryActions to put it in front of the nav links.

Last edited by Mystakill : 13 Dec 2008 at 03:21 AM.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 11:34 PM   #898
the bishop

Red face

I'm getting an odd error from Lifehacker emails that are sent via rssfwd. It seems to actually reconstruct the entire fastmail layout, putting most of the interface below the message.

See these:

(top of message, notice nothing on the left side)
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1175/capture1nl8.jpg

(bottom of message, rest of folderlist goes off down the page)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1152/captureif8.jpg

Think this might be an odd bug or some such?
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 01:53 AM   #899
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bishop View Post
I'm getting an odd error from Lifehacker emails that are sent via rssfwd. It seems to actually reconstruct the entire fastmail layout, putting most of the interface below the message.

See these:

(top of message, notice nothing on the left side)
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1175/capture1nl8.jpg

(bottom of message, rest of folderlist goes off down the page)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1152/captureif8.jpg

Think this might be an odd bug or some such?
Yep, it's a known bug. I also experience it with LinkedIN emails.
It is really annoying so I hope that FM will soon find a way to fix it.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 03:09 AM   #900
JMac
Essential Contributor

There is also a problem viewing some newsletters also. One example is the Windows Secrets newsletter. A second vertical scrollbar appears on the right, inside the regular Windows scrollbar, but it only has to scroll about 1/4 of an inch. So when you try to scroll with the mouse scroll wheel or the down arrow key it stops after it moves 1/4" and then the only way to scroll is to grab the Windows scrollbar and drag it down.

I ended up creating a rule to automatically forward it as new to Gmail, where I can re4ad it normally. Oddly enough, one that I received like this could scroll even with two scrollbars, but most won't.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote