EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 6 Jul 2006, 05:20 AM   #1
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Question Integration with email clients - but which

I am in the early stages of developing a Java application to help manage chess games played by email or mail. (A hobby of mine! )

I am at the stage where I want to attempt some integration with existng email clients. The question is - which ones?

My initial thoughts are Thunderbird, Outlook Express (reluctantly ), Pegasus Mail and Eudora Light. (All free and available to me for testing on Windows or Linux)

I'd welcome suggestions from this forum as to what other clients I should try and support. Particularly from the Mac users - a platform I've never used. In fact if there's any Mac users who'd care to test the app...?

Cheers
Graeme
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jul 2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm not quite sure how you integrate a chess game into an e-mail client but if it can be done I suggest Opera's M2 as another client to support.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2006, 07:24 AM   #3
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Integration with email clients - but which

Quote:
Originally posted by redmyrlin
... a Java application to help manage chess games played by email or mail. (A hobby of mine! )
I was hoping to find some links in the links section of your site but there were none. So instead I started a thread here.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2006, 07:45 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

Ok, I'm about to show why I do not write programs... but... could you not have this setup via IMAP? That way any mail program with imap could be used. Then the program you build could have its own imap client and send/rec the emails for the moves.

BTW, I love chess. This is a great idea, if it works like I think it will....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2006, 08:30 AM   #5
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Re: Integration with email clients - but which

Quote:
Originally posted by redmyrlin
I'd welcome suggestions from this forum as to what other clients I should try and support. Particularly from the Mac users - a platform I've never used.
Popular email clients among Mac OS X consumers include Apple Mail (bundled with Mac OS X), Microsoft Entourage (part of Microsoft Office), and Mozilla Thunderbird. Mail and Entourage feature AppleScript libraries although you'll be more popular with the Mail folks if you use its undocumented private plug-in API. For Thunderbird, you can make a cross-platform extension.

Apple Developer Connection has lots of free info online.

BTW, FWIW, Mac OS X includes a PGN client used by its included Chess game.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Bell
I'm not quite sure how you integrate a chess game into an e-mail client but if it can be done...
Perhaps "integrate" is too fancy a word. All I intend, initially, is to have my Java app. be able to construct an email in the correct format and open a compose window with the To/Subject/Body correctly set - similar to an http mailto: link.
Quote:
...I suggest Opera's M2 as another client to support.
Thank's for the suggestion.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:40 PM   #7
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Re: Re: Integration with email clients - but which

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
I was hoping to find some links in the links section of your site but there were none...
Sorry about that - the software section only covers applications aimed at playing chess by email/mail.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:46 PM   #8
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by theog
Ok, I'm about to show why I do not write programs... but... could you not have this setup via IMAP? That way any mail program with imap could be used. Then the program you build could have its own imap client and send/rec the emails for the moves....
Yes you could, and I intend to add built-in smtp/pop/imap support to my app. eventually.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 10:50 PM   #9
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Re: Re: Integration with email clients - but which

Quote:
Originally posted by btn
Popular email clients among Mac OS X consumers include Apple Mail (bundled with Mac OS X), Microsoft Entourage (part of Microsoft Office), and Mozilla Thunderbird. Mail and Entourage feature AppleScript libraries although you'll be more popular with the Mail folks if you use its undocumented private plug-in API. For Thunderbird, you can make a cross-platform extension.

Apple Developer Connection has lots of free info online.

BTW, FWIW, Mac OS X includes a PGN client used by its included Chess game.
Thanks for the information. It's much appreciated.