EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Feb 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
equaeghe

Where to go with interface translation/consistency corrections/suggestions?

Hi,

Given that it may not be appropriate for opening a support ticket, where do I go with (sometimes minor or pedantic) suggestions and corrections for the consistency and translation of the interface? I would of course like that my post is effective, so if no-one from Fastmail reads it here and might follow-up, I'd need to go elsewhere or still need to open a support ticket.

Examples:

* Consistency: the interface lists sizes in decimal (1 GB = 1000 MB etc.), but uses KB (JEDEC standard, used for binary, so 1024 bytes) instead of the correct kB for kilobyte (1000 bytes).

* Translation: in Dutch ‘nieuw evenement’ is used as the translation of ‘new event’ in the calendar. That should be ‘nieuwe gebeurtenis’.

Erik
equaeghe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Feb 2017, 06:12 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

In the past, there was a specific FastMail Suggestions forum, and it was looked at. Sad to say, FastMail decided to eliminate that forum, and there is no obvious place to record suggestions today. Maybe I am being unfair, but I do not think FastMail any longer want to spend time looking at suggestions from the user base.

Perhaps, a FastMail staff member will see this thread, tell me I am wrong, and advise on the best way of providing the valuable feedback you propose.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2017, 09:13 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by equaeghe View Post
Given that it may not be appropriate for opening a support ticket, where do I go with (sometimes minor or pedantic) suggestions and corrections for the consistency and translation of the interface?
You may have a better chance of getting a response using FastMail's social channels instead.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2017, 11:31 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by equaeghe View Post
Given that it may not be appropriate for opening a support ticket
Why inappropriate? This is (or at very least, should be) the official support mechanism .

I don't know whether support tickets can be marked by submitters as high/medium/low priority. If so, I's mark the "linguistic" ones as low IMHO.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2017, 05:50 AM   #5
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
A support ticket is entirely appropriate for this kind of thing. Indeed, I would almost suggest opening one per issue depending on how separate the issues are (these two are probably similar enough to lump together) so that the tickets can easily be allocated to different staff to work on them.

You can't mark a machine readable priority yourself, but you can certainly suggest it in the text body and the person triaging the incoming tickets will assign it priority accordingly if they agree with your choice.

Cheers,

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:05 AM   #6
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Google translate converts both those words to "event", I'm interested in the difference An initial Google suggests that maybe a Belgian with a bit more French influence was responsible for that translation!
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:56 PM   #7
equaeghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
A support ticket is entirely appropriate for this kind of thing. Indeed, I would almost suggest opening one per issue depending on how separate the issues are (these two are probably similar enough to lump together) so that the tickets can easily be allocated to different staff to work on them.
Thanks for the heads-up. You can expect a small deluge of low-priority stuff .

(I've been… nudged from member to standard and have decided that I'll be using the interface far more. While familiarizing, I come across small stuff all over… I'm one of these people that notice sometimes very minor details and just can't let them be. )
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:04 PM   #8
equaeghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Google translate converts both those words to "event", I'm interested in the difference An initial Google suggests that maybe a Belgian with a bit more French influence was responsible for that translation!
Google translate of the Dutch wikipedia page for evenement https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evenement:

https://translate.google.com/#auto/e...0met%20beelden.

The translation is bad, but good enough to clarify, I think.